Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:23:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691078
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Stage-Coaches and Wagons  (Read 3707 times)

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
Stage-Coaches and Wagons
« on: March 30, 2009, 01:56:35 AM »
So, maybe it's because the Spring is almost here, or maybe it's because I had a little time this weekend to work on some more Old West buildings, but here's the situation. I just used one of the old ERTL cowtown buildings - with just some slight conversion work - as the basis for a Coach Maker's building. You know, nice open space inside, tall double doors up front, and a spot for a sign that's going to read "We'll Paint Your Wagon!" Of course, a Coach Maker needs a Stage-Coach model, so here's my question. Are there any models out there other than the Old Glory one or the Dixon ones? I like the Dixon stage-coach models, but I don't know how to get one from here in the United States. Do they ship to the US? Has anybody here in the US ever ordered from them? If they don't ship to the US, is there a US distributor? If the US people here on the forum tend to go for the Old Glory model, how do you find it? Does it scale up well with Artizan and New Foundry?
Any help on this would really be appreciated!
The town of Serenity is growing, so I'll start a log soon - just as soon as I get a lightbox and learn how to take photographs that actually look good.
Sono Pazzi Questi Romani

Offline Mac Finn

• Librarian
Re: Stage-Coaches and Wagons
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 04:31:57 AM »
Hey Hawk
I like the Dixon one and it does scale up pretty darn good. The other option is to use the stagecoach that came with the Cow Town if you still have it. I know it may be a little small, but when you take the wheels off and put it up on old western blocks it might be just the size you need  ;).

Good luck and cannot wait to see the rest of Serenity.

Mac
Remain Vigilant
Terry Mac

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 04:46:00 AM »
Yes Dixon ships to the US. I have ordered from them a couple of times and the turn around time has been quicker than some US companies I have ordered from. The Old Glory & the Dixon stage coaches size up pretty much the same. The Ertl one that comes with the Cow Town isn't bad but a little small. But then it will fit inside better. I also have a pencil sharpener model stage coach that looks great. Kind of in between the Old Glory & Dizon models & the Ertl one. The pencil sharpener can be found at gift & souvenier shops all over the US.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +109

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 04:53:48 AM »
I used to get my Dixon's from Scale Creep and wargamesminis.com but both of them are discontinuing stocking them.  I know Mark at Scale Creep was having the darndest time getting me some backordered stuff, having two shipments get 'lost' in transit.  I guess he just gave up.  I know I'm reluctant to order direct because of their obscene postage rates - 50% under £50? Give me a break! Artizan only charges 10% per order, worldwide! I notice Dixon is also looking for a new US distributor.  I wonder why?  ::)
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 04:55:56 AM »
Thanks Mac Finn, and HerbyF. So Dixon's ship to the US, and the Dixon's and Old Glory stage coaches are more or less the same size, scaling up to Artizan and New Foundry models with no real problem. That, in a nutshell, is what I needed to know. That, and the fact that Dixon's ship to the US. Now I just have to decide which I like the look of! I've always liked the look of the Dixon's one, and I know they have a few different kinds suitable to the Old West, so that may be what I go for.

As for Serenity - it's not shaping up too badly. Four completed buildings so far - completed, that is, except for the interiors on two of them. I have another two ERTL conversions planned, and then it's three more scratch-builds - a brick-built sheriff's office, a brick-built bank, and a saloon. All three will be designed as 'corner buildings', to give me a main street crossed by a smaller street. When I start the log, it will describe the learning curve that I followed when it came to making the buildings, as well as details about converting the ERTL buildings. As I said, all I need to be able to do now is take half-decent photographs! Oh, and HerbyF, I'll look out for that Pencil Sharpener stage-coach, as I think I actually saw the one you're talking about a few years ago on a trip to San Antonio. Should have picked it up then, but didn't realize its potential at the time.

Thanks for the help, guys!

Offline Terrible Tim

• Scientist
    • The Wargamer
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 12:22:48 PM »
Did you end buying a Dixon stagecoach and do you have any pictures?  :)
...Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen....

Blog: www.the-wargamer.com

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 04:55:05 PM »
Hi Terrible Tim,

No Stagecoach as of yet - but I did order a lot of minis from Artizan (great service) and Foundry to fill out a few posses, bought some more minis on a recent trip to Kansas City, and finished painting the first posse as well. Only another five to go!

What I will have soon is a lightbox, as my wife got one for me for my birthday, so in the next couple of weeks I should be able to get some pictures up - the posses, the buildings (built another one during the week), and - when I get it - the wagon. Oh, and a train, which is just waiting for paint.

My plan is to get most of this western project completed over the summer, so as soon as the lightbox arrives, I should be able to start posting pictures!

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 07:53:47 PM »
Very nice planning for your town, Hawkeye! If you would like to read something about my experiences with the Dixon Stagecoach, have a look here: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=7443.25 (go down to the bottom of that page).

Looking forward to your pics.  :)

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 03:56:00 AM »
Thanks, Admiral - I had remembered reading something about the Dixon stagecoach being a tad difficult to put together, but couldn't remember where - now I know! I think I arrived to the forum after you had finished your wonderful Mining Board, so this is a good opportunity to say 'brilliant work!'
Pics as I have them, as there's not too much left to purchase for my Old West town - one more blister from Artizan, the stagecoach, and probably a chuck wagon. Everything else that I need, I have - it's just a question of building, assembling, and painting!