Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:00:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691074
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 823
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Hail Caesar rules question  (Read 1596 times)

Offline kuba

• Bookworm
Hail Caesar rules question
« on: September 02, 2017, 01:18:34 PM »
Hello,
sorry for asking if the answer is easily obtainable with search engine, but searching for dedicated HC rules topic I only got results with topics about wich ancient rules system is recommended.

Anyway, I have a question about proximity: rulebook states, that if a unit is facing an enemy within 12" at the start of the move, the unit can only move either towards or away from the opposing unit.
What does start of the move mean? Is it the start of the whole order, or just one of the moves that are allowed if the result of the order test was particulary good?

The difference is quite visible if the move is made by some particulary mobile unit, like light cavalry in open order - if the start of the move mean start of one of the three moves possible to make, then during one order unit will be able to move away as proximity dictates, then evade the enemy, ride past his flank and finish the move on his rear -all during one turn. If the other interpretation is correct, such maneuver would require two turns.

Offline Corso

• Mad Scientist
Re: Hail Caesar rules question
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 02:59:45 PM »
My interpretation is that it means the whole order. Otherwise enveloping or similar tactics cannot be achieved, but if you are within 12" you're too close to attempt manouveres.

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 10:32:04 PM »
I agree with Corso.  Units that are within 12" at the start of the move are too close to attempt fancy manoeuvres like wheeling or changing formation since in real life they may be charged by the enemy they are attempting to manoeuvre around. 

However if you start further away and get a multi move turn then units are free to attempt to manouevre onto a flank i.e. advance, wheel and then charge in a 3 move turn.

Offline kuba

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 11:26:57 PM »
Thanks, we played it last time as You explained it, although there were some doubts if that was correct.
Hail Caesar is great game but the book is certainly not one of the best written rulebooks I've read  :)

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 11:39:40 PM »

Offline kuba

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2017, 07:55:14 AM »
Well, to tell the truth I tried to register on that forum but registration must be confirmed by using the link that was sent to my email address. I just got an idea to try here before I got an idea to check the spam folder, where the mail with link turned out to be.
Also I tried search engine on that forum as well, but results for proximity were overwhelming, and not really helpful... Though reading the topics on that forum would certainly help in better understanding HC rules, I will keep an eye on it and if time permits I will also read the older topics.