Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:07:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691086
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 859
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ozark Mountain Moonshiners - Just Find Granny and Stay Alive - Game 3  (Read 994 times)

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
Well this is the final game in the trilogy, the other two are here.

Game 1 http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=103226.0

Game 2 http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=103404.0

Finding Granny

Pops and Betsie May didn’t have much hope for the survival of Granny, Daisy May and Ellie May it was now 4 days after the initial fight with the zombies. With Pops still weak from his wound it fell to Betsie to go back to Horsemans Flatts and see what she could find. Wang Mai and Lola decided that they would go along but they left the little girl in Pops capable hands, telling her to look after the old chap.
After the fiasco with the noise generated by the cars attracting zombies they parked up on the outskirts of town and the girls decided to go in on foot. They would fetch the cars later if needed.

Horsemans Flatts, quiet as the grave. As usual.

An overview.
The town has been moved 8” south to get a bit more board behind the deli. Some things are different on this board but the continuity man has been sacked for such a poor job.
The encounter markers are not on here yet, nor are the visible zombies. Pretty poor show so far.

The girls entering the town from the south and they will follow the road down to Horsemans Deli which is in the distance on the left hand side of the crossroad and then follow the blood trail until they find Granny and the other two girls, dead or alive or maybe worse. Lola has been substituted for another figure with a pistol and a few more clothes (boo hiss) but the same attributes.

Not wanting to hang around they make fast moves down the road and quickly reach the cross roads. They pass a lone zombie who was in one of the alleys, but don’t see him and he cannot keep up with their pace.

At the cross roads, they will go behind the Deli and pick up the blood trail.

Just an over view with a small Stagger (copyright Doug) of zombies top right and the lone zed on the right following them but way behind.

They go round the back of the Deli towards a concrete bunker, where there is another encounter marker which turns out to be just wind whistling through the trees(nothing). Pheew. They move cautiously up the path towards the bunker.

And check the door – it’s not locked!!! They burst in ready for anything. Granny and the girls are there, which was pre determined, their condition was not. I used their constitution to decide on their injuries, if you remember they were all shot but not killed. So less than con = OK, con = hurt but not too badly, higher than con roll further die to see how badly hurt.

Granny Constitution 3 threw 2 = OK Daisy May Con 4 threw 4 = hurt but not badly -2 to movement – 1D to Brawl. Ellie May Con 5 threw 1 = OK.

Well that’s a relief.

Next step was to check to see if the Looters were still there and they are - bugger. Reaction tests for everyone. The looters and Wang Mei throw the same and are both ready to fight but Granny wins the test and in that stern reedy voice of the old that are used to being obeyed shouts “CALM DOWN EVERYONE”, and surprisingly they do.

She thanks the looters for looking after her and invites them to come back to the cabin in the woods, which to everyone’s relief they decline.

Sorry about the building, the interior decorators got eaten by the zombies before they finished the job.

They all leave and on coming out in to the street again see a few zeds milling about. Also by the cross roads ( bottom left) are the 2 bikers from the 1st game. They had a bad conscience about running away and leaving Granny behind and had decided to return.

Well 6 girls 2 Bikers v 4 zombies – This is going to be easy. Well you didn’t think it would be that easy – did you. Well I kinda did  yes.

The Zeds attack, girls run, 4 of them anyway, suddenly it’s looking a bit serious.

Just prior to rolling the dice for a guts check I was thinking this is not proving very challenging and then rolled 5 and 6, and I need low to succeed. I had a good chuckle, never underestimate the damage a bad dice roll can do.

Wang Mei was attacked by 1 zed and she floored it. The 2 bikers checked to see if they could attack the zeds from behind but failed their test and remained stationary, couldn’t fire because of friends in line of fire, this didn’t seem to worry Daisy, she sprayed bullets everywhere but failed to hit anything.

Zeds seem stunned by the fight in front of them and don’t attack (fail to activate) but Wang Mai steps forwards to take on 2 of them, she is well aware that Daisy is injured and doesn’t want her involved, neither do I – she only has 1 Brawl die, but of course she joins in the fray, just like Pops she has Brains 2 and Guts 5 (high is good) the only difference is she can’t fight.
Fortunately Wang Mei takes out the zeds and Daisy doesn’t die. The bikers failed to make a fast move so have not contacted the remaining zed. Granny and the girls have stopped running and turn a little shamefaced back to the action but don’t make any positive moves towards it, they are still a little shook up.

Next turn Harley Davidson and Vincent ‘Black’ Lightening take down the lone zed but the shooting has brought more of them on to the streets.

Some more shooting and the area around our intrepid band is clear. There are other Zeds around but far enough away, time to get moving and get out of here.
The Zeds are closing in but there are not enough of them to stop an escape. No uncontrollable cars either this time.

One more zed about to get rollered down, the boys are not keeping up, keep failing activation so Granny goes back, “come on get your lardy arses into gear or you will be zombie chow” she politely informs them. “Ok Mam we're with you”.

Final shot with Granny leading the big boys home, Wang Mei in the background is facing off to a zed down the alley to the right but it never gets close enough and they all escape back to the cars.

On reflection I think I made the scenario a little too easy, but once all the girls were found still alive and pretty much in one piece, I was hoping they would make it out and so this is maybe the end of an era for Pops and Granny. They have probably appeared in more games than any of my other figures and will have a well deserved retirement, while they are still alive.

Just as an afterthought I don’t know who sculptured the 3 May girls, but he’s never heard of gravity. They are not the best sculpts but I’ve become very fond of them, they have survived in some tough games over the years when others have succumbed.

Last AAR for a while, you can breath a sigh of relief.

If you are still here  - thanks for reading.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 11:53:36 AM by Vagabond »

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
Re: Ozark Mountain Moonshiners - Just Find Granny and Stay Alive - Game 3
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 08:34:01 PM »
A Hollywood ending ;D ;D I hadn't noticed the windows and doors on the Deli before, quite nice! Fun, as always, thanks!
Lon
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

TikiCoast

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 03:02:48 AM »
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 12:04:56 AM by TikiCoast »

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 03:10:11 AM »

Mate, THANK YOU VERY MUCH for another AMAZING piece of entertainment! Amazing EVERYTHING as usual! :D

And I really do like the 3 May Girls sculpts!  :-*

"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 10:49:05 AM »
....but the continuity man has been sacked for such a poor job.
:D  :D  :D

Last AAR for a while, you can breath a sigh of relief.
We will all do that, not because it's the last of the current AARs; far from it. The sighs of relief will be because of Pops and Granny making it through.

You've got the right balance between photos and text in your AAR's; it may be me but great junks of text tend to put me off reading game reports (my loss, I realise that) whereas lots of nice pics draw me in. So I always go the full distance on yours, John. Very good.

I haven't got my (well-thumbed) copy of Fowler's English Usage to hand so I can't check as to whether or not collective nouns should be capitalised. Stagger or stagger? Not sure but thanks for the credit :)

Doug

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 12:05:43 PM »
Lon - Cheers it's always good to hear from you.

TikiCoast - With the cost of printer ink it must be costing you a fortune, I will try and make the reports shorter in future to save you some money.  lol lol

And I really do like the 3 May Girls sculpts!  :-*

You know - some how I thought you might.  ;D ;)

I haven't got my (well-thumbed) copy of Fowler's English Usage to hand so I can't check as to whether or not collective nouns should be capitalised. Stagger or stagger? Not sure but thanks for the credit :)

Everyone's a critic lol lol in a previous post FierceKitty was complaining about my grammar and now you with a lack of Capitals. Just be grateful I have spell checker or you would have a fit. ;) ;)

I am sure you are right and I've changed it :(

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 05:16:33 PM »

Everyone's a critic lol lol in a previous post FierceKitty was complaining about my grammar and now you with a lack of Capitals. Just be grateful I have spell checker or you would have a fit. ;) ;)

I am sure you are right and I've changed it :(

Mustn't let the standards slip, Old Boy - the barbarians are at the gates...! Having said that, I was asking the question - I don't actually know the answer. I must do more research.

Doug

edit After extensive research, aided by plenty of Lidl CabSav, I can report that collective nouns are not capitalised so it is a stagger of zombies.
note Our American chums may well spell it "capitalized" because they do so like a zed (or a zee, as they call it unless talking about zombies when they say zed).

All this sparked off by your excellent AAR which, of course, features zeds.

D
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 05:28:22 PM by Doug em4 »