Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:28:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: News: Conquest Games - Medieval Knights box set  (Read 22134 times)

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
Re: News: Conquest Games - Medieval Knights box set
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2017, 08:31:32 PM »
Although looking at them again, I think they could be used for early 14th century, especially those with kettle hats and plain-heads.
That style of great helm would be out of date, but so long as enough head options were included then they could be used as-is or some simple conversions to change the head gear into bascinets.

Conquest, if you're reading this and if the sprue layout hasn't been finalised, be a lamb and PLEASE include a few extra head options!!

That's the way my thinking was going, but you've articulated it better than I was able.  TBH Im just a cheapskate trying to extend my Barons War army into the Crecy period.

The extra head options is an excellent idea.
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline Verderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2017, 04:18:01 AM »
Absolutely - rather than the usual rows of 'C' shapes showing interlocking rings, the mail on the legs is just a row a holes - very poor in my opinion. They had good potential to be better than the somewhat later Fireforge ones (some of which have strangely oversized weapons and poses that can be a bit off), but the chainmail really lets these down.

I am glad it's not just me then. I've always liked Fireforge knights and men at arms, and reading some very critical comment about them on this forum, I felt people were being a tad harsh. But even so, I could see where people were coming from, they're not perfect to be sure. Anyways, I am surprised these are getting so good reception here. Not trying to flame anyone, just saying. Are you folks mellowing? ;)

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2017, 08:59:14 AM »
Are you folks mellowing?
Have you seen the threads on the Warlord Games (Pro Gloria) Landsknechte or Gripping Beast archers?  lol
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2017, 09:24:44 AM »
In the case of the Archers, it can't just be the sculptors fault as the client surely has some say in the design of the miniatures. I believe the same sculptor that was responsible for the Conquest Games archers also did the Fireforge ones, which while not perfect seem slightly better to my eye.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 03:33:52 PM by westwaller »

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2017, 03:31:47 PM »
I see what people mean about the chainmail but it'll probably look fine once they are 28mm plastics. :)

Offline Verderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2017, 05:49:51 PM »
That's entirely possible, and these do look useful if I wanted to mix them with FF ones. And the horse looks good.

Offline jauntyharrison

• Bookworm
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2017, 09:40:53 PM »
I was planning to vent some of my niggling complaints when this thread was new, but I held back because I didn't want to nudge the tone toward negativity at the outset. Now that I can see most people's responses aren't too scathing, I feel like I can share my quibbles without feeling like I'm punching down.

The blurb for this set describes it as being usable from the anarchy(Stephen v. Matilda) to reign of king John. I can't speak definitively without looking at a sprue, but I see lots of surcoats, transitional greathelms and transitional heaters. If you're the sort of person who spends a lot of time browsing Manuscript Miniatures to get a sense of what is typical for a certain era, you'll probably peg this set as containing a lot of gear which doesn't show up as an outlier before the very late 12th century, and doesn't become typical before the early 13th. This is very much a Bouvines era set. I'm guessing one, or at best two minis per sprue can be constructed with gear that is typical of what was worn during The Anarchy.

Is that a problem? Not necessarily. This is a good Bouvines/Barons Wars set. However, it does overlap a little with what the Fireforge Templar set already could do. With the new shoulder joints it looks like the two sets are are pretty much compatible now. This is a better  1st Barons' War set. Fireforge makes a better 2nd Barons' War set.

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2017, 11:51:41 AM »
The back row of the second picture is the anarchy period, although I cant honestly tell how many of them have surcoats. Aren't transitional heaters one of the things that is very late 12th Century?

Offline Leigh Metford

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2017, 10:58:37 PM »
Not with almost all of them wearing mittens/gauntlets. That places then firmly in the 13th century.

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2017, 08:21:15 PM »
I will be looking forward to these and the promised other kits to fill in the gaps. I've been hoping for this era for quite some time now and cant wait to use these to give them my own spin!

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2017, 09:04:42 PM »
Does anyone know when they will appear?

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2017, 09:02:41 AM »
Will have a look at them at Crisis
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2017, 11:56:23 AM »
Tom if you get any more information I'd love to hear when these are expected to come out!

Offline henryv

• Librarian
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2017, 07:59:05 PM »
I love Conquest stuff, and their archers  ;D More choice in medieval plastics the better.

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2017, 03:12:39 PM »
I haven't seen them at crisis :'(