Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:10:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Former Companion Spartacus Range Back Via Kickstarter ?  (Read 2238 times)

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
Former Companion Spartacus Range Back Via Kickstarter ?
« on: August 07, 2017, 07:15:20 AM »
While surfing the net, I recently noticed the Kickstarter below :

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/318319126/28mm-army-of-spartacus

Looking at the pics, the figures are definitely the old Companion range based on Foundry Copplestone dollies that was briefly sold by Aventine Miniatures before the miniatures were pulled, apparently over a complex copyright issue. The images used on the Kickstarter page even seem to be the ones Aventine once had on their website (the trademark green background is a telltale sign) :

Templar Wargames are taking over ranges from defunct or inactive manufacturers these days (though it's perhaps a bit disingenuous on their part to claim they have created the greens for the range if what they are really doing is bringing existing figures back from the dead). Still, if this means the other missing and long lamented Companion ranges (Iberians and Numidians spring to mind) stand a chance of finally emerging from the limbo to which they have been consigned those past few years, this could be a promising development.

Offline rumacara

• Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
Re: Former Companion Spartacus Range Back Via Kickstarter ?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 08:08:55 AM »
Indeed it would be nice to have them back in production.
And yes they are the Companion miniatures briefly sold by Aventine.
I would love to complete my Spartacus forces and some more Iberians would be great too.

Offline Firescale Whack

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 11:18:30 AM »
I wouldn't mind some of these but it doesn't seem to be possible to pledge for three sets of different figures unless you want say sets 06-10 etc. A very odd way to go about running a kickstarter by narrowing your potential pledgers options. Hopefully it is successful and I can purchase the sets I want from their online store in the future.

Offline Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 10:50:05 PM »
I suspect you could pledge for a single pack and then bump your pledge by two more. Lots of KS do that sort of thing. Why not contact the OP and ask?

Offline templar

• Student
    • Templar wargames & Scenery
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 06:26:08 PM »
Evening Gentlemen,
I have just had a look at the comments and thought I could shed some light on the range. I purchased the range from the original owner of Companion Miniatures. When he sold Companion he then went on and became the owner of Classical Miniatures which had this range.The range was tested for a short time by Aventine(on his behalf) although was withdrawn from sale due to the health of the owner. The original dollies were from Mark Cobblestone which the owner had full permission to use. If you require any further information please get in touch.
regards,
Scott
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 06:01:28 PM by templar »
When all else fails, put the kettle on!!

Offline jcspqr

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 04:17:20 AM »
Scott/Templar:  do you own the former companion Spanish and Numidian ranges. As well?

Jim

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 04:36:43 PM »
Well there's a thing - just saw this thread, went to have a look, and it's been pulled due to Foundry filing breach of copyright.

Offline jcspqr

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 04:59:39 AM »
I always wondered how Companion Miniatures got away with the use of obvious Foundry dollies.  Wish I could find more of their spanish though!

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2017, 10:19:32 AM »
So, besides the public laundering, it sheds some light on the reasons why Companion may have disappeared and occasionally resurfaced in dubious ways. :?
To be honest, I thought the Late Republican Romans were a genuine continuation of Mark Copplestone's work for Foundry by the man himself, much like the Perry twins' venture. Taking a second look now, the figures appear to be indeed just reassembled miniatures with some plumes or cloaks added. That said, they still look much better than the recycled dollies offered by Foundry via their Casting Room ranges. Really odd.

On the other hand, now I feel inspired to convert some Foundry models and finally get hold of the ones sorely missed after Companion's demise. :D

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 08:21:32 PM »
I remember the ads in WI from Companion Miniatures stated that the Republican Romans were conversions by Will Hannah and Jim Bowen from Copplestone dollies.
I blindly ordered grenadier barbarians from him as they weren't available anywere at the time. All by snailmail, maybe even cash, iirc.  lol
If you don't believe in lead, you're already dead.
+++AREA23 BLOG+++

Offline jcspqr

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2017, 09:28:05 PM »
He had a stand one year at Salute.