Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:08:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Strange aeons - 20` only or modern + rule questions thanks...  (Read 5054 times)

Offline soulman

• Bookworm
Strange aeons - 20` only or modern + rule questions thanks...
« on: August 09, 2009, 01:11:41 PM »
Hello all, i looked at the demo rules and liked them and have a few questions..

1. 1920`S or / and modern  ?

2. rules for cars etc

3. can be used for " evil dead / silent hill or the thing ideas "

4. rules for darkness and torches etc

5. damage dice, you pick the highest one, but what about if you roll more then 1 six

just seeking a set of rules for fighting monsters, anything from alien greys attacking a town to zombies attacks or ghost busters etc..?

Rules read well in the demo and love to buy them soon
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 01:15:25 PM by soulman »

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
Re: Strange aeons - 20` only or modern + rule questions thanks...
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 04:27:20 PM »
Hey Soulman,

In regards to your questions:

1. The rules are 1920's based but would work in a modern setting with a few tweeks. (Actually working on a top-secret project that is set nowadays...should be in the second expansion)

2. No rules for cars or any motorized vehicles yet. (The first expansion does have animals. Horses being the closest thing to vehicles...)

3. Played all three as Strange Aeons games. The focus of the game is goodguys vs. badguys. I made sure to have lots of cool badguys! (I watch the same horror movies as you!)

4. Rules for Torches/darkness are on the playtest pile right now...

5. Always apply the highest roll...'to hit' more 6's means more chances to cause a critical and 'to wound' means more chances to kill!

I wrote Strange Aeons so I (and my friends...) could have monster fights. Anything goes and believe me when I say there is a lot of stuff on the go. Aliens, Ghosts and general freakiness to follow...

Offline soulman

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 05:36:22 PM »
Hello uncle mike, sound like you the name in charge, and thanks for writing back.. i do skirmish horror games, and have occult wars, not a d20 fan, i do like a good d6 system..!!

Fear and faith is nice and easy to read, but stat wise you have have quality ( how acts first ) and combat ( both melee and shooting skill ) and thats it for stats, of course special rules, but means you have to keep adding special rules for new monsters etc, and 2 stats is a little short, when you wish to do ghosts to zombies, big ants or aliens etc.. still a good system.

Also usx a modern system, rules for torches..!!  " so x-files " again a nice system, but uncomplete, needing you to keep adding stuff.

But i have been after something like yours with some after mission character building, i`m a big fan of lovecraft etc, and seek some rules for zombies to aliens, to ghosts and all the films we love..
Infact i love to see a remake of evil dead, the idea with the book etc is great, just poor effects..!!!

Have you seen the 2 demon films -  good ideas....

I sort some funds out and order a copy soon and cheers...
Alan-norfolk- uk

speaking of hp lovecraft etc a 1985 film is coming to dvd vert soon called " the strangeness "

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 06:59:34 PM »
Just saw a good 'Lovecrafty' film last night...a little too western but still a great watch. "The Burrowers". Best horror/monster/historical movie I've seen in a while. makes me want to do a 'Grim Prarie Tales' expansion for strange Aeons...

And yes, I love "Demons"...but I really have a soft spot for any old Hammer films...especially ones with Chris Lee.

Offline soulman

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 08:03:18 PM »
Yes thats a good film, mind is not clear, but it all kicks off in the end...

Maybe we should start a film gaming topic, and add the films we can use etc...

1.Dagon
2. minds gone blank..!!!!

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 01:25:14 AM »
Just saw a good 'Lovecrafty' film last night...a little too western but still a great watch. "The Burrowers". Best horror/monster/historical movie I've seen in a while. makes me want to do a 'Grim Prarie Tales' expansion for strange Aeons...

Saw that about a month, maybe more, ago. Was pretty interesting and kept a certain annoying lady at bay from what she deemed vulgar. Dumb that what's his face killed the Native American lady  in the end though.

Sorry for the derail. :)

I like that idea about the Thing. We should start a brain-storm and make it work. I had plans actually for a project down those lines. But my main problem was lack of space for building a table for it. I've been eying a few miniatures that could work too.
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline soulman

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 08:21:52 PM »
just ordered a copy.. looking forward to reading them...

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 04:12:38 AM »
It will be in the mail tomorrow...and thanx! hope you like it!

Offline soulman

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 03:04:30 PM »
And thank you uncle.......

On a side note i know you have playtesters already and stuff, but if you need another brain for anything let me know, i`m 40 years old, so i have seem and read a lot of game systems and know what i like, horror skirmish, etc..

I`m a playtester for hydra and the war rocket game, and working on the judge dredd mini game from mongoose at the moment, and watch a lot of film and xbox games...

I let you know what the rules arrive and thanks uncle

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 03:46:36 PM »
I'm always up for new ideas. Please feel free to send me house rules, new rules, fluff, art...anything really. All will be concidered and if I use any of it you will get credit/product. This goes for any and all of yous guys...I feel Strange Aeons is a great product that will only get better as the universe fills out.

To this end we will be running a number of contests in the coming months...more details as we make them up...get those creative juices flowing! :P

Offline soulman

• Bookworm
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 07:51:42 PM »
Rules  came today uncle and i must say nice looking indeed, i`m reading them tonight, and any questions i let you know
Thanks for the great service....

Offline soulman

• Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 08:39:50 PM »
Just been reading the rules, easy to read and such a nice looking book, acouple of things came to mind and others bits etc..

1. Its a Hp lovecraft horror game not a normal horror game, so no vampires of ghosts or big spiders etc...

2. No little rules for running out of ammo, but " Jams" are in the rules

3. No rules for " Darkness " i guess most games are at night, but be nice to have some rules, when you enter a dark house with the power out etc....

4. the extra rules for cars and modern, will they be books also like the basic rules...

5. Werewolfs and zombies do not effect wounded players, and no silver needed for werewolfs..?

The book is stunning to hold and to read, i like the ability to build your human forces after a battle

The rules are good and fun and i look forward to all the extras as well, maybe some kind of monster builder in the future...

I look forward to playing when my friend comes to see me, and to try some modern day games, maybe like the film " Mist " or something like the " fog " etc..

when done on the rules, a lovely read.. thank you

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 01:31:20 AM »
1. Its a Hp lovecraft horror game not a normal horror game, so no vampires of ghosts or big spiders etc...

What else? :)

2. No little rules for running out of ammo, but " Jams" are in the rules

Running out of ammo is more for skirmish combat games, skirmish horror is more about whether or not to run away.

3. No rules for " Darkness " i guess most games are at night, but be nice to have some rules, when you enter a dark house with the power out etc....

A work-around for testing resolve in this scenario would seem plausible. Being pitch black anything without night vision would be bumbling about stubbing their little toes and having a heck of a time staying together. A fear of the dark could also cause problems for some people.

5. Werewolfs and zombies do not effect wounded players, and no silver needed for werewolfs..?

If you remove the head of the snake, the body dies. Who has decent quality silver these days anyways? The zombies though seem to be more in the classic 'evil undead' guise which just want to eat your face, no infection there.

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2009, 04:53:49 PM »
Glad you like it Soulman.

In responce to your questions/points:

1. The 'Night Stalker' functions like a super-tough vampire...but I didn't want 'vampires' as such 'cause of the flavor of the game.
Ghosts are in the works...giant vermin and swarms are detailed in the expansion.

2. Ammo is also in the expansion...just an 'add-on' to the chosen weapon really...

3. Darkness will be a 'Plot Point' that the Lurkers can buy...will lower range and a few other things. This will be in the second expansion.

4. Cars and Modern setting rules...and somthing else will be in the third expansion...lots more work to do on these yet I'm afraid...

5.See the Werewolf special ability: Mutilate. Also, silver bullets are in the expansion...here are the rules now: Silver Bullets BP+1, can be used in .22 or .45 handgun, +2 Damage to Werewolves

The expansions will be in comic book format...should be 24-32 pages long and will be chock full of new rules, scenarios, fluff, art, more Lurkers and stuff like that. Watch for 'Shocking Tales Of Madness And Mayhem', issue #1, available early next year...

Offline soulman

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 05:23:38 PM »
Hi mike and thanks for the reply, yes i beeb looking at your rules and a stunning set, the rules ideas for being scared to the nice ideas on minor and major damage too, i do hope to get some figures and play, at the moment i have a few modern hunter types, but no reason you cannot play evil dead say in 1920`s..

Story idea.......

Threshold are contacted by the daughter of the guy and wife that went into the cabin to work on the book and have not been heard from since, shes hired a private eye to look for them, and he returned with some strange papers on " Demons " etc, so she and the private eye team up with threshold to check out the cabin and woods, maybe near by is a woodmill or a small town with a few secrets to add to places to check out..

Also the mist film can be turned into a 20`s game, maybe the hole to the other world was caused by a spell then a modern lab, and down to threshold to close it..

You get the picture...

I look forward to this system growing, so you can play your " Buffy " games and others too..
I hope other players will speak up with ideas etc for modern and 20`s as well

Be nice to spend your Bps on cars and planes, even a Hq with labs and other rooms, ready for assaults by luckers...

Time for dinner...
Ps...  we you have a forum on your own website for the system, or is this the best place to talk about aeons..
As for playtesting ideas etc, please feel free to contact me, i love the system and love to talk ideas and rules with you..
Alan-Uk