Forum > General Wargames and Hobby Discussion

Shapeways Frosted Extreme Detail - how does it take washes?

(1/1)

Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye:
Anyone have any experience with Shapeways Frosted Extreme Detail material?

I ordered some Tekumel critters, printed in that material because they are supposed to be transluscent creatures.

http://thetekumelproject.blogspot.ca/2017/09/dad-hokun-in-frosted-extreme-detail.html

Now I discover that they are not crystal clear, but rather grey-green to brownish transluscent creatures.

So my thinking is to try a wash of perhaps green or sepia. I am worried, however, about how the material will take paint...anybody used this stuff before?

Howard

N.C.S.E:
I've used the level below extreme detail for little WW1 aircraft (ultra detail?). They paint up well, but come with a layer of wax (or similar) on top that can be washed off with warm soapy water (keep in mind that whilst its warm there is greater potential to bend the model, perhaps useful. If the wax isn't removed then the paint just won't stick (if you're using oils it won't dry either). You'll know it is clear of wax when the models become see through. Give it a bit of time  since in my experience if you don't wash it for long enough you get this strange bubble effect where some is washed off and other elements aren't. Once washed, I've encountered no problems using any normal technique on them, although I've never washed them prior to a base coat or two.

As I said, this is primarily applicable to the level one step below extreme detail, but hopefully this helps.

beefcake:
Have you tested it out on the base part yet?
Will the weapons be sold colours? They might be a good place to test out if the will be opaque.

Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye:
No, not tried anything yet. Good point about the base. I think I'm going to leave the weapons clear, regardless.

Looking at them closely, I see there is some sort of residue that I think I need to get rid of before any painting.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version