Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:26:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: VSF Vehicles  (Read 11610 times)

Offline thejammedgatling

• Mad Scientist
Re: VSF Vehicles
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2009, 01:09:19 PM »
Great stuff Skrapwelder. Love the Boilermen idea (automatons or manned?) Please post pics of their first foray on the game table.
On another note any progress with further Victorian buildings of late?

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2009, 03:49:27 PM »
Great stuff Skrapwelder. Love the Boilermen idea (automatons or manned?) Please post pics of their first foray on the game table.
On another note any progress with further Victorian buildings of late?

Thanks, the idea for the Boilermen came from a book called Whitechapel Gods. They are automatons built on the same frame as the large, manned impervious suit called Iron Kelly that I made for my Irish. I hope to get the second one put together and some paint on both of them over the weekend. I've also started a pair of Tesla cannon that are a very simple conversion of another of the Steamboy capsule toys

On the Victorian building front: I have made some considerable progress. I won't be trying to making a big commercial venture out of it like the Arnica, western buildings were. But, once I've got a modest range I'll make them available to people that are interested. I had to go back and remaster a lot of the pieces and in doing made some changes and improvements. I'll have pictures of those up in May probably as I'll be making up quite a few for this campaign I'm running at Kublacon.

Mike

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2009, 05:29:06 PM »
Hi Mike, I like the lastest Tesla gun. ( I actually like all of it, But that cannon is spot on) ;)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2009, 07:25:08 PM »
Love that cannon!!   I want one.
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
  • We have no time for Trucers!
    • Black Army Productions
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2009, 08:55:44 PM »
Like that cannon, too, Skrap. I think it'd be very keen for VSF Austro-Hungarians.

-Doc

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2009, 09:19:37 PM »
Excellent cannon, looks great. Do you have one of the open tanks from that set too? If so is it big enough to use as is?

On the building 'front', are you still thinking of making the molds available?
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2009, 09:33:31 PM »
I've got all the Steamboy toys too, waiting to convert. The one I'm trying to get working is the monowheel. Most of the toys are too small for 28mm, but that one works great.
-J

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2009, 09:40:39 PM »
This one is about the same size as the open tank if you are referring to the one shown in the lower left corner:

They are both about 2-2.5 inches long I think. I have three of those and was thinking of using them as a small artillery tractor or just taking them apart and using the steam engine for something else. I'll try and get a scale shot up on the site.

And yes I am still looking at the concept of selling the molds. Its looking better now that I have managed to make a more durable set of masters.

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2009, 10:17:08 AM »
And yes I am still looking at the concept of selling the molds.

Excellent. London shall be mine, or at least, a smaller, cleaner and less smelly version.

This one is about the same size as the open tank if you are referring to the one shown in the lower left corner

Yep, that's the one. Too small for the mobile gun emplacement it seems to be in the film then. I like the idea of turning it into a tractor though, at some point I'll come accross some that don't cost a fortune.

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2009, 02:00:57 PM »
This one is about the same size as the open tank if you are referring to the one shown in the lower left corner

Yep, that's the one. Too small for the mobile gun emplacement it seems to be in the film then. I like the idea of turning it into a tractor though, at some point I'll come accross some that don't cost a fortune.

The gun on the front is smaller than any micro armor scale guns I have so I would guess that puts it in the 2mm range for scale. Of course that makes the vehicle enormous in scale. My plan is to turn the gun platform into a driver's seat for a 28mm figure and use it for a support vehicle.

I bought a box of 12 random toys for Hobby Lin, Japan. http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN925415
The whole thing ran about $30 US and I think I ended up getting at least two of each toy. Took about two weeks to get to me.

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2009, 03:32:22 PM »
It's actually quite a small gun on a smallish carriage. Here's a pic of one in use (and it was damned difficult to find)

Looking forward to seeing a 28mm fig near the tesla for scale.

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2009, 12:32:17 AM »
That's a great picture. I still have not seen the movie all the way through. I will have to rectify that.

As promised, a few pictures to give an idea of the scale of the Tesla cannons.

The figure on the left is a Wargames Foundry, on the right a Brigade Games sailor with a head conversion to give a better sense of what it is to work in the electric artillery field.

A picture of the gun tractor as well. The model comes apart fairly easily so I think I may mount the boiler to make on a
larger frame but try to keep the same effect as the piece from the movie.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2009, 08:25:26 AM »
Nice idea with the sailors hair lol

Great work Mike. :)

One of these days we are going to have to find an excuse to get you across the Atlantic to participate in a huge LAF VSF game with some of your wonderful toys :)

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2009, 04:12:36 PM »
Yeah, much too small and it looks like the gunner position is too high or just off somehow. Would still make for a good tractor though.

Love the hair swap :)

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2009, 02:05:49 AM »
Sunday I got tired of staring at the too small gun tractors and decided to do something about it. I reduced two of them down to their component parts, made a new chassis and mounted the bits back on. Along the way I made a gun and gunshield out of styrene.

The figures I was supposed to be painting are my King's Royal Rifles. Do you know how hard it is to research Rifle Regiments online and not get sent to pictures of Sean Bean? Anyway the Riflemen were so impressed they dubbed it the Sgt Harper, after one of their own.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 02:24:23 PM by Skrapwelder »