Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:26:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686448
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: German WWII Katzchen APC  (Read 4516 times)

Offline wolivant

• Librarian
German WWII Katzchen APC
« on: September 15, 2017, 04:06:22 PM »
Just finished my Heer46 (Not Die Waffenkammer! Thanks for the heads up, my mistake..) WWII German APC, really like the model albeit a little light on realism and detail.

Im fairly happy with how it came out for gaming, a bit untidy on the build... meh!

Anyone else have any of these? I think they do about three different variants.. Got any images?
The reason I ask is that I am considering buying some more and would like to see them finished..

Wolt

MOD EDIT: Please edit out the Swastika in the second pic and kindly re-upload the edited image.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 07:52:33 AM by wolivant »

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: German WWII APC
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 06:10:01 PM »
That not the Heer 46 one? Somewhat notorious for its lack of accuracy *cough* it doesn't have a fricken engine *cough*. I have one, though haven't gotten around to painting it yet. The kit's a bit of a pain with the lack of detail and all the gap filling required. Die Waffenkammer's miles better, though yes, the one currently available is just with an MG, compared to Heer 46's Stummel (easy enough to convert). It'll do for gaming though. ;D

Offline fitterpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Maryland, U.S.A.
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 11:23:23 PM »
Is this 1/56? There was talk of 1/48 kits.There was also talk of variants for 1/56 ???

The Heer46 model does have a engine, it looks a little smaller than its supposed to be though, the engine I mean.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 07:05:31 AM »
Heh, they said its under the chassis. If it is then its paper thin. It looks like they couldn't fit the gun and crew in properly, so they got rid of the it for a bit more space. Damn the accuracy. Weird. Meh, Die Waffenkammer's has one, and I've made one out of plasticard for my own.

1/56. One would be pretty easy to make in 1/48th out of a Hetzer kit. They're the same chassis, you'd just need to rebuild the upper glacis and add an interior (steal the bits from a 250/251). I did something similar with 1/56th Hetzers before Die Waffenkammer's came along (and royally messed up the height, so the angles look a bit weird).

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 02:17:29 PM »
 Well done with the Katzchen Stummel, what did you use for the crewman?

Offline wolivant

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 07:51:58 AM »
Thank Wyrmalla, yes its a Heer46, I have amended the write up now.. It was in the 1:56 listings so I am assuming it is.

Been looking at the DW variants, they are very nice and seem to have a little more detail but I am really happy with this one, lovely looking kit and with a decent paint job and netting, etc draped over the sins they could be a really option for German APC's.

I am surprised that no one has replaced their 251's with these, I guess the pricing is probably the deal breaker..

No images yet, anyone got any?

The crewman was one of this batch from DW:

Regards

Wolt
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 07:59:06 AM by wolivant »

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: German WWII Katzchen APC
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 08:20:31 AM »
Ah, I didn't realise that you wanted pictures. :)

Die Waffenkammer's Katzchen:

My first attempts at Katzchen - the sides are too high (though at least the passengar's have head protection). Rubicon hetzers:

A Panther based AFV  - Warlord Panther (the Germans proposed APCs on both the 38 (t) and Panther chassis, with the 38 (t) winning out - presumably due to the Panther being phased out / 38 (d) being selected as part of the E-Series):

E-25 APC by Die Waffenkammer (fictional. A replacement for the Katzchen using more modern concepts):

A Panther LVT - Rubicon Panther (for a postponed Operation Sealion/ Eastern European Swamps) -

Luftwaffe Puma APC - Warlord Puma (light air droppable AFV - though the Katzchen could also work - similar to M113):

Panzer III/ Sd.Kfz 251 Hybrid - Rubicon kits (the Soviets stuck trucks on older tank chassis to use as tractors - similar concept):

I've a Panzer IV APC sitting about somewhere as well. A Tiger II variant is planned at some point as well. The Katzchen is probably the most realistic of the lot, being based on an existing chassis and looking fairly simple. Without replacing it with E-25 or Panther based IFVs the upgrade to the Katzchen would be to stick it on a shortened 38 (d) chassis and add more protection for the passengers (vertical plates along the top of the compartment.

Post-war the Swedes came up with an enclosed APC based on the Panzer 38 (t) called the Pansarbandvagn 301. Probably too modern for WWII as it was developed from 1959):

http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/coldwar/Sweden/Pansarbandvagn_301.php

Offline wolivant

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 04:23:16 PM »
Holy Cow... nice work and a shed load too...

The Panther chassis APC's, presumably they are much bigger than the Katschen!?

Wolt

Offline rabenga

• Librarian
  • I will paint that eventually...
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2017, 08:33:36 PM »

Here's a katzchen I built out of a tamiya pz38t and garbage.  Look!  It even has an engine!
Remember the patina!

Offline Weird WWII

• Mastermind
  • Keep it WEIRD!!!
    • Weird WWII
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2017, 06:47:04 PM »
That looks awesome!!!
Keep it WEIRD!