Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:39:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Gaming With Peter Gilder's Sudan Collection  (Read 1929 times)

Offline General_Pettygree

• Bookworm
Gaming With Peter Gilder's Sudan Collection
« on: September 16, 2017, 02:23:46 PM »
One of our gaming friends owns the late and celebrated Peter Gilder's 28mm Sudan collection.
It got a workout on September 9, 2017 here:

http://generalpettygree.blogspot.com/2017/09/annual-big-colonial-game.html

General Pettygree personally narrates the story with my captioned photographs. The venue was a Wargames Holiday Center-esque game room with three 6'x28' tables.

We are extremely lucky and fortunate to have opportunities like this. I thought you might like to see the game.

Respectfully,
Bill P.
Narrator of General Pettygree Stories

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: Gaming With Peter Gilder's Sudan Collection
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 02:53:27 PM »
How the heck did you find such a venue for gaming!?  Does one of your gaming group own a barn - or a warehouse!?

Afraid many a younger gamer doesn't have a proper appreciation for who Mr. Gilder was or his gargantuan contributions to the hobby.  Scruby in first place, Featherstone in second place, and Gilder in third place.  At least that is my ranking of the most influential people who got the 'modern' hobby started.

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 03:28:26 PM »
Fifteens Away,
The owner of the collection lives in a large by USA standards Ranch style home with a basement. We have sometimes rented hotel meeting rooms so we can have big games similar to this for Seven Years' War games. Splitting the cost with friends makes it affordable, unique and memorable. Just about any group could do this once a year.
Your rankings of Scruby, Featherstone and Gilder are spot on foundationaly for the hobby. Each of them inspired a lot of us.
Trends in the hobby now seem to be Go Small for almost every system. Small is fine. (The other day I flew one ME 262 in a Check Your 6 game. We do smallish Pulp games too and other systems. Fun.) But to the exclusion of larger systems? No.
So for all the new gamers out there, you can go Go Large too, if you want to. If this means you are using 300 miniatures per side instead of 12, that's Going Large and it offers a completely different perspective and experience.
Respectfully,
Bill P.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 08:53:06 PM »

At least that is my ranking of the most influential people who got the 'modern' hobby started.

So for all the new gamers out there, you can go Go Large too, if you want to. If this means you are using 300 miniatures per side instead of 12, that's Going Large and it offers a completely different perspective and experience.
Respectfully,
Bill P.

I second both quotes! I have also been influenced by them! And Going Large is somehow troublesome, but it's worth it!
And your blog General, is a constant source of inspiration! Thank you for sharing this BIG game!

« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 09:01:07 PM by DintheDin »
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 04:53:46 PM »
 Featherstone and Gilder, names to remember.
 They have played a large part in my war gaming life.
Scruby, not so much, a little before my time.
After all I am only sixty four, :o not an older guy like some of you. ;)
Thanks for sharing some wonderful photos of the Gilder collection.
I hope we can all 'soldier on' with little metal friends for years to come.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 03:21:36 AM »
Marine, you speak blasphemy - and you were a neighbor of Mr. Scruby, to boot.  He was here in California and you are only in Oregon.  If you got your start with American metal figures in the sixties or early seventies, then very likely they were Scruby figures!  And I'm young enough to refer to you as an old f....  Well, maybe not.  But you're still older than me.   :)

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 02:51:32 AM »
Love the Old figures Bill..great looking game.

Offline miltiades

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 06:09:04 AM »
One of our gaming friends owns the late and celebrated Peter Gilder's 28mm Sudan collection.
It got a workout on September 9, 2017 here:

http://generalpettygree.blogspot.com/2017/09/annual-big-colonial-game.html

General Pettygree personally narrates the story with my captioned photographs. The venue was a Wargames Holiday Center-esque game room with three 6'x28' tables.

We are extremely lucky and fortunate to have opportunities like this. I thought you might like to see the game.

Respectfully,
Bill P.
Narrator of General Pettygree Stories

As a fan of General Pettygree I was amazed to see this Great Wargame and its main actors!  :o

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2017, 08:27:33 AM »
Superb looking epic game. I was fortunate to have a weeks holiday at Peter Gilder's holiday centre in the early 80s where we played a large Sudan game on one of the days. Great to see his collection still in action.

Offline Traveler Man

• Mastermind
    • The Hetzenberg Chronicles
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2017, 05:55:10 PM »
Superb looking epic game. I was fortunate to have a weeks holiday at Peter Gilder's holiday centre in the early 80s where we played a large Sudan game on one of the days. Great to see his collection still in action.

I had a similar experience, staying at the WHC in Thornton-le-Dale and later Filey. It was where my lifelong love of Sudan gaming began. Happy days! Great to see the collection still in the field.
"It's amusing, it's amazing, and it's never twice the same: It's the salt of true adventure, and the glamour of the game."

Talbot Mundy, The Ivory Trail.

http://ajstable.blogspot.com
http://hetzenberg.blogspot.com

• Bookworm
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 12:54:25 PM »
Juergen, Miltiades, Armchairgeneral and Traveler Man, et al,
We appreciate you taking time to express your interest and enjoyment very much.
Thank you!
Cheers to you,
Bill