Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:12:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690587
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 822
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Photos of Perry 2nd Nassau figs?  (Read 3404 times)

Offline Schogun

• Mad Scientist
Photos of Perry 2nd Nassau figs?
« on: April 02, 2009, 06:35:00 PM »
Perry's photo gallery on their website is incomplete. Does anyone have pix of their 2nd Nassau-Usingen figs? Or can someone tell me if there's a big difference in their uniforms differ from the 1st Nassau-Usingen contingent?

Thanks

Offline Adam

• Scientist
Re: Photos of Perry 2nd Nassau figs?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 10:52:21 AM »
Hi Shogun

The only pictures I've seen of them on the internet are on the general de brigade forum but they're  mixed in with loads of other things in a game report so it might be a bit hard to make out any little differences. I think the main difference is that the 1st have covered shakos and the 2nd have uncovered shakos (and they're in the different poses of course!).

I read Allesandro Barbero's 'The Battle' a few months back and it mentioned the 1st Nassau's covered shakos. Unfortunately I got it out from the library so I haven't got it to hand. I think it said that they were being mistaken for frenchmen on the smoky battlefield and that they eventually tore the covers off the shakos because they decided their lives were worth more than their expensive shakos.

There might be other differences though, I'm not completely sure. If you've got a magnifying glass you might be able to spot some here:

http://generaldebrigade.greatboard.com/viewtopic.php?t=3416 (Warning: hi-res pics)

Offline the commissar

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 07:19:29 PM »
I have seen pictures but the site they were on seems to have gone!

The uniforms are the old style "Confederation" ones with the waistcoat visible (see the sergeant in the command pack). The shakos are uncovered for both the fusiliers and the voltiguers and grenadiers have plumes, bags and cords
My main bug bear with them is that the grenadiers and I suspect the voltiguers all have the greatcoat being worn rolled and across the body rather than on the pacj like the fusiliers. Although there is one picture of them being worn this way it is I believe post Waterloo (the figures look generally far more Prussian).

Offline Schogun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 09:07:15 PM »
Next question -- would the uniforms for the 2nd be okay for the Peninsular War?

Offline the commissar

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 01:07:19 AM »
Ah - now to some extent that depends on how much of a purist you are.

The fusiliers (that I have) are depicted with the British haversack and water bottle which logic says they would only have received from say 1814 onwards. I have a small platoon - just 24 figures for Sharp Practice and I justify this by saying that they have got them  from Spanish troops (say at Medina Del Rio Seco - I think!) - who had been supplied by the Brits made more likely as I believe that the Fench did not have an issue water bottle.

EDIT - I will try and put a picture up over the weekend if I get a chance

and again for spelling!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 10:50:41 AM by the commissar »

Offline Schogun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 01:19:34 AM »
Commissar -- I want to use them for Sharp Practice also. I have Nassau figs from Front Rank, but they're bigger than I thought and bigger than my other figs. No big deal on their own really, but I'm considering switching to the Perry Nassau figs.

A picture would be great, if you find time.

Offline the commissar

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 01:52:22 PM »
OK - pictures are below. A couple of apologies

1) I am no David Bailey!
2) The water bottles are not in fact the round British type but an sort of squareish metal job.

Some of the figures below were converted to give a more campaign look - trousers built up with green stuff to look baggier, some water bottles changed etc.

(The standing firing figure is from the Perry 1St Nassau set)

Offline Schogun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 06:08:43 PM »
Thanks for the photos! It helps a lot.