Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:31:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690844
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: NEW SAGA EDITION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 18694 times)

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
Re: NEW SAGA EDITION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #105 on: February 11, 2018, 01:48:00 PM »
Scenarios are due to be released in 'The Book of Battles' which is the next thing out IIRC.

The GW model...

That makes sense...and to be fair there is a lot of content in the book despite the lack of scenarios.

Offline Hobbyone

• Bookworm
    • http://hobbyonenews.blogspot.fr/
« Reply #106 on: February 11, 2018, 04:26:25 PM »
who is cynic?
Those who start work and try to offer games, and that costs money and time. translators, proofreaders ... printer etc.
Or those who do not melt anything ... just criticize in their couch ... those who would always like to have any free ... but just have to propose some scenarios for everyone.
Tomahawk studio people do not take money. this is not our job. Money earned on a game can pay the next one ...
so saying we are doing this for the money is really cynic .
Fred

Offline Hobbyone

• Bookworm
    • http://hobbyonenews.blogspot.fr/
« Reply #107 on: February 11, 2018, 05:29:36 PM »
We do not force anyone to buy our games. But if you like the first edition, it means that what we are working for is a success. Thank you.

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #108 on: February 11, 2018, 05:37:46 PM »
A scenario in the Viking age book would have been nice, especially a raid on a monastery.
But I can wait for the battles book.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #109 on: February 11, 2018, 05:53:26 PM »
I should also add that the Viking Age universe book is so nice I'm likely to pick up one or two of the others further down the line. And the battle book will also probably be bought.

Offline Derek H

• Librarian
  • Derek H
« Reply #110 on: February 11, 2018, 05:54:49 PM »
We do not force anyone to buy our games. But if you like the first edition, it means that what we are working for is a success. Thank you.

Gripping Beast have pre-orders at £10 for the Rule Book and £ 30 for the Vikings supplement.

Is there really only one scenario in there?  That would not seem to be good value for money. 

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #111 on: February 11, 2018, 06:18:55 PM »
Gripping Beast have pre-orders at £10 for the Rule Book and £ 30 for the Vikings supplement.

Is there really only one scenario in there?  That would not seem to be good value for money. 

It's a nice full colour hardback book with 12 factions and 12 battleboards. If you tot up the supplements from Saga1 that it covers it's not bad value at all. Especially if you compare it to other premium products. I also think that £10 for the core rules represents good value.

Seems like I stirred up a hornets nest about the scenarios!

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #112 on: February 11, 2018, 06:40:12 PM »
I'm going to take a wild guess here, and suggest you probably don't work in public relations...

Ha! Judging from the tone of your messsages here and on other threads I’d hazard a guess you don’t either.

Production value is good in both books. Better, I feel than first edition.
A shame there’s no scenarios but it’s really not a deal breaker. I enjoy the new rules they’re streamlined and nuanced and remove the power gaming elements that could be abused before. It still however feels like Saga. I’m looking forward to playing a few more games and getting to grips with these changes.

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #113 on: February 11, 2018, 08:39:10 PM »
Huh, I figured one of the advantages of the new edition would at least be the consolidation of most things into a single book (bar the core rules of course). After the first few supplements, games sometimes involved bringing the book with your faction, the book with the core rules and then possibly yet another book for additional options like the banner. But now, you'll have to bring 3 books to any game (unless playing the one scenario)?

Anybody have any further information on this book? Its very existence rather passed me by (or I simply completely forgot). A handful of scenarios doesn't make for much of a book; will it also contain a campaign system perhaps?
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #114 on: February 11, 2018, 08:59:44 PM »
Huh, I figured one of the advantages of the new edition would at least be the consolidation of most things into a single book (bar the core rules of course). After the first few supplements, games sometimes involved bringing the book with your faction, the book with the core rules and then possibly yet another book for additional options like the banner. But now, you'll have to bring 3 books to any game (unless playing the one scenario)?

Anybody have any further information on this book? Its very existence rather passed me by (or I simply completely forgot). A handful of scenarios doesn't make for much of a book; will it also contain a campaign system perhaps?

In the interview with Alex Buchel (I missed this originally havr had to Google it!) He says:

We also intend to publish the Book of Battles, which will be an ideal companion to the rulebook. It’s a collection of scenarios, additional rules and gameplay options for players who want to explore Saga in different forms, with scenario-driven play, campaigns or multi-player games.

Offline Nick2729

• Assistant
« Reply #115 on: February 11, 2018, 10:08:34 PM »
There's a very informative interview with Alex on Northern Tempest Podcast

https://www.buzzsprout.com/69172

that gives some great insight into whats planned. The Book of Battles is due out later ub the year (November?).

Offline georgec

• Librarian
« Reply #116 on: February 15, 2018, 08:38:29 PM »
Well I picked up both books last night and they are lovely artefacts and certainly seem to have moderated some of the more extreme elements of the battle boards without losing too much individuality for the factions.

However.....

‘So Ragnar, what can you tell us about the Scots?
The Scots live in an arid and rocky land...’

I don’t think Ragnar has really been to Scotland or Ulster....

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #117 on: February 15, 2018, 10:29:46 PM »
I was about to say that I enjoy designing my own scenarios and therefore I have no use for the Book of Battles, but truth is that I will buy it when it is released. Yep. I have a serious issue of lack of impulse-buying control.

By the way, what I would really, really like, is that each hard-copy would include a one time use only code to download a digital copy of the rules and/or scenarios -when released-. I don't mind to have the hard copies, but I am fond of tablet-friendly PDFs.

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #118 on: February 16, 2018, 07:11:12 AM »
If the Book of Battles is generic and can be used with all the setting books, I think its a wonderfull idea to publish it as a seperate book.  If its priced as the rulebook its a definite purchase, if its priced as a setting book its a maybe for me.

Offline pws

• Scientist
    • Pippoweb hobby blog
« Reply #119 on: February 16, 2018, 09:07:53 AM »
Yes I would have rather preferred a collection of scenarios too... but where is written you cannot still use the old ones?

This could be a limit for new players, but for the old foxes I think not.
Ciao
Per aspera ad astra
pippoweb.blogspot.it