Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:43:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690911
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 17pdrs in burma?  (Read 1964 times)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Re: 17pdrs in burma?
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2017, 09:04:57 PM »
That's okay, I'm shy enough to look things up before committing to 'I know' answers, otherwise 'I think' or 'perhaps' works for me too. You're amongst friends here, granted one or two of us are envious of your painting.

I read Evelyn Waugh from time to time just for the feeling of morale outrage on so many levels.  ;)

I suspect that as we can identify these elements as being wrong, yet still enjoy the story, is a good thing. Not registering them at all while reading might be more worrying I think.  

:)

Almost everything about Waugh was wrong and if you read his diaries, you'll realise what a thoroughly unpleasant fellow he was and yet.....I too still  enjoy reading his books. A c***, a tory c*** but a cracking good author.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 09:06:33 PM by carlos marighela »
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Etranger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2017, 11:39:51 PM »
Yes, great writer, horrible human. His Sword of Honour triology is an entertaining, if occasionally horrifying look at the British officer cWWII.
"It's only a flesh wound...."

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2017, 04:09:39 PM »
Possibly Waugh was not the nicest man, true,  he had little knowledge of or sympathy for the working classes. He was, like all interesting people, a complex man, touched by personal tragedy and afflicted with depression. He showed courage in the war - being sent to liaise with Tito's partisans is not something everyone would volunteer for - so as well as being appreciative of his wonderful writing, let's not dismiss him as a person in quite such a cavalier fashion.

Doug

edit: I apologise to the op for furthering this hi-jack of the original, most interesting topic.

D
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 04:17:43 PM by Doug em4 »

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2017, 10:10:45 PM »
Possibly Waugh was not the nicest man, true,  he had little knowledge of or sympathy for the working classes. He was, like all interesting people, a complex man, touched by personal tragedy and afflicted with depression. He showed courage in the war - being sent to liaise with Tito's partisans is not something everyone would volunteer for - so as well as being appreciative of his wonderful writing, let's not dismiss him as a person in quite such a cavalier fashion.

Doug

edit: I apologise to the op for furthering this hi-jack of the original, most interesting topic.

D

If you compare and contrast Waugh and Fitzroy Maclean's outlook on the Yugoslav partisans, you'll find but one of the problems with Waugh. Fortunately Waugh was at the periphery of British contact with the partizans, if his instincts had been followed it would have been a disaster. Waugh saw almost everything through the lens of his adopted Catholicism and a rather unpleasant streak of social climbing. Maclean overcame the baggage that came with a baronetcy to actively engage with the Yugoslavs.

Again, apols for the hijack.

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2017, 10:23:17 PM »
If you compare and contrast Waugh and Fitzroy Maclean's outlook on the Yugoslav

I have. I don't claim Waugh was particularly successful with Tito. It's the fact that he went on the mission at all which is noteworthy and praiseworthy.

Doug

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2017, 11:55:07 PM »
Waugh did the job he was told to do. IIRC he flew into a secure area from Bari. Arguably, he didn't do the job he was paid to do particularly well. If you find that praiseworthy, more power to you.

As an author he was capable of some sublime portraits and memorable characters. He's up there in my pantheon of popular 20th C British authors alongside Greene and Powell. Brideshead revisited is a noteworthy example of Brevity when compared to Powell's Dance to the Music of Time series, although the satire is more biting in the latter work and to be fair DMT covers a broader historical sweep.

Offline winder

• Assistant
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2017, 07:45:10 AM »
Not sure if this is relevant at all to what your grandfather did but I saw these pack howitzers on a facebook group I am part of and thought they looked pretty cool!
Explains how they got guns to be carried through the jungle as well i guess

Offline georgec

• Librarian
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2017, 12:36:10 PM »
....fluffed picture upload.... :(
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 12:45:42 PM by georgec »

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2017, 05:23:10 PM »
more .....power to you.....

Thank you, Sir...!

As an author he was capable of some sublime portraits and memorable characters. He's up there in my pantheon of popular 20th C British authors alongside Greene and Powell. Brideshead revisited is a noteworthy example of Brevity when compared to Powell's Dance to the Music of Time series, although the satire is more biting in the latter work and to be fair DMT covers a broader historical sweep.

Love DMT but it's not in the same league as Brideshead. And obviously Powell didn't think Waugh was a c***, Tory or otherwise, as they were mates.

Anyway, I'm embarrassed by how much we've intruded on this topic so that's my last word. Thanks for an interesting chat.

Doug