Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:33:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685058
  • Total Topics: 118008
  • Online Today: 935
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Warhammer 40k Imperium - Shadowsword and Dark Angels 31.05.20  (Read 5337 times)

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: Warhammer 40k Imperial Guard - Baneblades and Bullgryns
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2019, 06:36:02 PM »
Nice Baneblade.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2019, 08:35:43 PM »
Wow, Tha tank is huge. I never realised how big they actually are! You've done a great job on that.

Offline Exiledadmiral

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2019, 03:23:13 PM »
Damn you actually make those cadians look good !

Haha thanks! The old metal sculpts are really nice and the plastic are growing on me.

Thanks for the comments on the Baneblade. It's a really nice kit and does dwarf the normal tanks pretty significantly. I've got two Basilisks and a Leman Russ to paint next, the Basilisk is my favourite guard tank so I'm very excited to paint them.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2019, 03:44:31 PM »
The real beauty of the plastic Chadians is their amazing flexibility, allowing you to create lots of alternate poses.  If you are happy with a hobby knife, you can achieve lots of variety.  I like the colour scheme.

Offline Exiledadmiral

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2019, 03:24:34 PM »
Hello again all, hope you all had a good Christmas and are looking forward to the New Year! I've had another good few days of painting while I'm still off work and have completed my Leman Russes, as well as some infantry models/tank crew.

I'm up to two Leman Russ Battle Tanks now, one of these was already painted and I have updated it with red heavy bolters and the red and cream striping on the front of the tank to identify it and tie it in with my Baneblade. I'm fairly pleased with them, probably just need to do a little more edge highlighting on the one nearest the camera and maybe stick an aquila on that big flat panel on the front.

I then started painting my Basilisks, which are basecoated and almost ready for washes. I got a bit of tank fatigue though and thought I'd do a few infantry for a change. I built the crew for the Basilisks and thought it would be a perfect opportunity to use one of the old metal tank crew minis that I've had for ages. There's a little more to do on them, but they're getting there.

That also got me thinking about Trooper Jones! He's an old Rogue Trader miniature from when they had official names and everything. I've had him based and ready to go for ages but never got round to painting him. I find the old miniatures much harder to paint in many ways, as it's harder to tell where one part of the miniature ends and another begins. Soon he may get the opportunity to cut off some more Ork heads!

Offline Exiledadmiral

• Scientist
Re: Warhammer 40k Imperial Guard - Leman Russes and Trooper Jones
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2020, 01:48:33 PM »
More progress! My Militarum Tempestus are coming on really nicely, I've managed to get my Tauroxes finished, just need to attach the bull bar to the wheeled version. I got a load of second hand Tempestus, hence why I've got one with wheels that I converted and one with tracks, although the tracked version really grew on me while I was painting it. I've gone with the old rule of commanders not wearing helmets, so the Tempestor Prime, Command Squad and Sergeant all get the berets while the grunts get the head protection.

The Basilisks are all done too. I love these tanks, although I think the kit is maybe starting to look a little dated and some of the details seem a bit soft. Plus the stairs that attach to the back snapped off both while I was painting them!

And here's my Bullgryns, which I neglected to post a photo of last time. The shields are magnetised so I can swap them out for the little brute shields, as the brute shields give an invulnerable save but the slab shields are a better standard save.

I never used to enjoy painting vehicles but I'm on a bit of a roll with them! Next up I think I'd best do some infantry. I've got a load of heavy weapons assembled, they just need basing and I can start on them and I bought some push fit Cadians to bulk out the squads so I can use the multi part Cadians to get more heavy weapons out of a box. Then there's two more Leman Russ Battle Tanks, and two Valkyries... I may have gone a bit overboard, but I'm churning out painted stuff like never before so it's working!

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
Re: Warhammer 40k Imperial Guard - Basilisks and Taurox Primes 26.01.20
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2020, 06:04:59 PM »
I really like the Taurox with the wheels, makes me think of the South African ones I can't remember the name of.
Yvan eht nioj!

Offline Exiledadmiral

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2020, 07:18:10 PM »
I really like the Taurox with the wheels, makes me think of the South African ones I can't remember the name of.

It does make it a nicer kit, the tracks wouldn't be so bad if they weren't such a funny shape. I've see some good half-track conversions too. I just googled South African armoured car and you're right, there is one that looks very similar!

Offline Exiledadmiral

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2020, 05:33:24 PM »
Hello all, I'm back with some more 40K. I bought a converted Shadowsword and Banehammer earlier in the year from Wyrmalla on this fine forum. During lockdown I decided to start having a go at them and here's the result of one of those efforts at least. I've painted it in my Militarum Tempestus colour scheme rather than sticking with the general Astra Militarum scheme, mostly so that I didn't end up with three grey super-heavies. Really pleased with how it's come out so far, I'm just waiting on GW to get the Baneblade sponsons and accessories back in stock so I can give it some bolters on the side.

Next I've jumped back into Dark Angels and have left my Blood Ravens aside for the time being. Partly because the aforementioned Banehammer had Dark Angels iconography on it so I've started painting it in those colours and partly because of the previews of the Primaris bikers for 9th edition 40k. I'm looking forward to doing a proper Ravenwing force with fast attack Primaris, which is something I never really got round to for my regular Dark Angels force, seeing as Primaris seemed likely to make everything redundant sooner or later.

I also painted a Dark Angels chaplain, that I got with one of the Warhammer Conquest magazines a while back. It's a really nice figure to paint and he's definitely my favourite Space Marine so far. I'm getting into the swing of edge highlighting, which I've never enjoyed. My new technique is to do the edge highlighting before I basecoat any other part and to work top down, doing all of one piece on each Marine before moving on. So helmet, shoulders, backpack, chest, arms, legs. This way when I stop halfway through due to painting fatigue they all look halfway cool and I'm much more consistent in where I place the highlights.

Interesting to note that the Dark Angels shoulder pad is off the old upgrade sprues for regular marines. The size difference is negligible so my old sprue is still useful, which is nice.

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
Re: Warhammer 40k Imperium - Shadowsword and Dark Angels 31.05.20
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2020, 08:52:52 PM »
Really like the effect you've got on the chaplains robes

Offline Exiledadmiral

• Scientist
Re: Warhammer 40k Imperium - Shadowsword and Dark Angels 31.05.20
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2020, 11:59:33 PM »
Really like the effect you've got on the chaplains robes

Thanks! It came out mostly by accident to be honest, I was going to do black leather but it didn't look great, so i washed it over with snakebite leather contrast paint and then drybrushed and stippled it a few times with a few sepia washes and now I'm right pleased with it.