Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:52:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Sprue Cutters  (Read 1541 times)

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
Sprue Cutters
« on: September 26, 2017, 07:04:29 PM »
Hi all,

My old worn out pair of clippers for snipping bits off sprues are due for retirement and replacement. I was wondering what this forum's various modelling wizards are using. I imagine the Citadel ones are very good (these old ones of mine are their previous incarnation) but naturally if there's some equally precise ones for cheaper that do a good job I'd like to know about it. :D

Any recommendations would be gratefully received. I'm at the point where some of the hobby's finer-scaled plastics such as the Perry's are under threat of either breaking or requiring some deft knifework to remove without excess chunks of sprue still being attached. Deft knifework usually leaves me bleeding... :(

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
Re: Sprue Cutters
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 09:49:48 PM »
Though I do not own a set of GW ones I did look at them in use the last time I was in the store and they worked very well and unlike my side or end cutters the bits did not fly across the room lol

The £20 is a bit off putting but I spent about the same on the two cutters I have and to be honest it was a mistake on my part NOT to buy the GW ones especially as they have a longer cutting area that is thinner than mine.  I've decided to pop these onto my Christmas list...

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 10:37:08 PM »
Foundry mate

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 11:10:21 PM »
Cheers Andy, I'll check out our local Foundry fellows.

Andrew - that's what I was afraid of; buying cheaper ones and regretting an inferior product purchase later :)

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 11:10:56 PM »
I use these babies. Very cheap, lovely and precise, perfect for soft metal or plastic (don't try them with hard metal like wire though, they're too sharp and will just get notches).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electrical-Cutting-Pliers-Jewelry-Wire-Flush-Cable-Cutter-Side-Snips-/172765819448?var=&hash=item2839a53238:m:mZygkXCrjjmnKFlbMtqoA3A

If you to eBay or an online tool/hobby shop and look for electrical and jewellery tools, you'll see different types of cutting pliers. Side-cutting pliers are the ones with more rounded ends.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 11:21:45 PM »
These look perfect, cheers Cubs! At that price it's worth a go no matter what.

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 02:54:31 AM »
Nail clippers. Ordinary drugstore nail clippers. I used electronics dikes for years, and thought they were the bees knees, but nope: turns out nail clippers are actually way better. The cut much, much cleaner*, and with less force, and they keep their edges better. Only downside is they can be hard to maneuver with wee parts that are molded really close to the sprue, but that can usually dealt with by cutting the sprue section first.

I'm probably speaking to deaf ears here, as people do love their specialty tools (especially ones they've already paid for), but seriously: before you go and drop any money, go to the medicine cabinet and "borrow" the nail clippers to try. You will be surprised.

If you decide to buy an extra pair specifically for modelling, look for "oblique nail clippers"**. Those have shorter blades that are positioned at a 45 degree angle, so they're more maneuverable than the standard ones. A pair of those for sprues, and a pair of toenail size clippers for metal bases or other heavy cutting, and you're set.

*Some of you who use electronics dikes will be thinking "Mine cut plenty clean: I got the good ones". No: you only think they cut clean. I was super skeptical before I tried them too, and begrudgingly surprised when I did. It seems so ghetto to use nail clippers, but I kid you not, they do just flat out cut better.

**My local games shop sells these repackaged by some GunPla company or another as sprue clippers, so the secret is getting out, it seems.
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 07:17:19 AM »

I swear by nailcutters of the heavy duty kind:

They work much better than most cheap true side cutters, which tend to nick and loose precision faster over time.

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2017, 07:44:21 AM »
I have this one from Tamiya. Expensive but the best sprue cutter that I have ever used.
I have had a pair for years now and am very satisfied.

http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/74123/index.htm

I also have a pair of electronics flush cutters for white metal figures and brass rod.

I use cheap electricians side cutters for steel because steel (Dressmaking Pins & North Star spears) destroys the cutter blades.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 07:47:21 AM by Mick_in_Switzerland »

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 10:13:37 AM »
If you decide to buy an extra pair specifically for modelling, look for "oblique nail clippers"**.

I might give those a try. I do have a cheap pair of nail clippers I sometimes use, but the concave shape of the cutters is a little awkward.

Offline secharles

• Bookworm
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 02:07:31 PM »
I have a dozen or so different types of cutters (including finger & toe clippers) for as many dedicated uses. best bang for the buck I find is Xuron brand.

http://www.xuron.com/

(pliers, too)

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 07:30:17 PM »
I have what I believe is the Army Painter one, though with the variant that they included with some older Mantic/Army Painter kits for Kings of War stuff

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2017, 04:40:44 PM »
I have a dozen or so different types of cutters (including finger & toe clippers) for as many dedicated uses. best bang for the buck I find is Xuron brand.

http://www.xuron.com/

(pliers, too)
I will second Xuron as we use them in the Aerospace industry and okay for cutting brass BUT NOT steel!!!
Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
Montreal Historical Wargaming Club