Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 05:43:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Painted 28mm Combat Robots  (Read 3000 times)

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
Re: Painted 28mm Combat Robots
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2017, 10:48:43 AM »
These guys would look hreat in a post apoc setting as well with a bit of rust.

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2017, 03:17:29 PM »
These guys would look hreat in a post apoc setting as well with a bit of rust.

Agreed, especially the hovering drones.  They'd fit Gamma World beautifully as leftover rogue warbots.

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2017, 04:10:26 PM »
I like that. I like your metallics too.
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Curis

• Librarian
    • Ninjabread
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2017, 05:34:11 PM »
These look really great in metallic colours!  And so different to the official Mantic studio scheme as they deliberately eschewed any metallic paints.

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2017, 10:29:49 PM »
All these compliments, but not a soul willing to pay a lousy $5 a pop for them.  Bah.  No more Mantic for me.

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2017, 07:14:15 AM »
Great work my friend,
I was planning to get them to use as 15mm mechs.
Thanks for all the pics, appreciated.

One question, though ,as it is not clear.
I haven't got any stuff from Mantic yet . You used poly cement or superglue to build them ?

Will get them for sure now
Z
http://castrarunis.blogspot.com/

Imagine & you can.
Most see shapes you must see possibilities.
Z

Offline ancientsociety

• Mad Scientist
    • My blog
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2017, 04:24:41 PM »
Really great paintjob. The miniatures themselves remind me of the Therians from AT-43

Offline Keeper Nilbog

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2017, 10:09:15 AM »
Must admit I quite like the marionette models - in plastic and quite versatile. Cyphers are still restic (though the 2 Dreadball 'Cyphers' - star players - are plastic), and I don't like restic.

Currently building these myself but for use as cyphers, with the Dreadball 'Cyphers' as 'Overseers/Leaders. Found that if you play with the parts, you can model a reasonable Black Talon (remembering that the Marionette body is the 'base' for this').

Don't like the 'Drones' though, but those paint jobs make them really pop

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2017, 04:08:42 PM »
Must admit I quite like the marionette models - in plastic and quite versatile. Cyphers are still restic (though the 2 Dreadball 'Cyphers' - star players - are plastic), and I don't like restic.

Agreed.  I did a whole army of the earlier restic Asterians (as well as the other Deadzone factions) and it's just junk compared to plastic.  There are few nice sculpts in the older range, but not many.

Currently building these myself but for use as cyphers, with the Dreadball 'Cyphers' as 'Overseers/Leaders. Found that if you play with the parts, you can model a reasonable Black Talon (remembering that the Marionette body is the 'base' for this').

Sensible.  The Marionettes are better sculpts overall IMO.  And you really don't want to skip on having Black Talons out there, those things are terrific.

Don't like the 'Drones' though, but those paint jobs make them really pop

Funny, they're actually my favorite thing in the kit.  Not sure about their game efficiency but I love the sculpts - although the camo drone version is a bit bland.  Then again, I liked the older (and very different) restic drones better than any of the other Asterian stuff, so maybe I just have a weakness for drones in general.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 12:49:01 AM by Hobby Services »

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2017, 08:54:07 PM »
Assembling a box of these now and it's worth mentioning that you can assemble 6 drones from the parts on the sprue, not just the 2 shown.

You'll need 4 more flying bases, and they'll be missing the very bottom section of the model (the "bulbs"), but hey.  Sixteen models for £15 isn't bad :D

The set has greatly restored my faith in Mantic models.

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2017, 10:30:42 PM »
Assembling a box of these now and it's worth mentioning that you can assemble 6 drones from the parts on the sprue, not just the 2 shown.

You'll need 4 more flying bases, and they'll be missing the very bottom section of the model (the "bulbs"), but hey.  Sixteen models for £15 isn't bad :D

The set has greatly restored my faith in Mantic models.

I repurposed the two comm drones (sans the grav lifter bulbs, of course) as Xar spaceships, and the camo drone toppers (by far the lamest of the three types in terms of looks - they seem to be popular in game terms though) are scheduled for use in a terrain project.

Still apparently not worth painting for resale, though.  Mine are lingering on ebay at less than $6 apiece, which is obscenely low for painted 28mm anything.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 10:32:49 PM by Hobby Services »

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2017, 08:15:45 PM »
Ah, missed that, I've not been n here much recently.  Sounds good though - I can see the Comm Drones as ships!

Popped mine on a length of brass wire and they're looking good.

I also put together a box of Enforcer jet bikes this evening.  They went together really easily and snugly, and they look great - I'm pleasantly impressed with Mantic stuff again.

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2017, 09:14:11 PM »
They look good to me (both the paint job and the base models). I'm not familiar with the game they're meant for, but I could definitely imagine myself using them as alien units in an XCOM-inspired game.
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2017, 11:04:12 PM »
I also put together a box of Enforcer jet bikes this evening.  They went together really easily and snugly, and they look great - I'm pleasantly impressed with Mantic stuff again.

Their hard plastics are light years ahead of the earlier restic stuff - and some of those weren't really all that bad either.  They still seem to drop the ball aesthetically rather too often, but their production quality has really improved.

Offline The Gray Ghost

• Mastermind
  • Beware The Gray Ghost
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2017, 11:40:21 PM »
Awesome figures
I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it anymore and what is it seems weird and scary.