Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:37:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690523
  • Total Topics: 118335
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Which are your all-time favorite individual minis?  (Read 2600 times)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: Which are your all-time favorite individual minis?
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2017, 09:12:37 AM »
I would have to go with something from Mark Copplestone, too. Anything from either half of his Darkest Africa range, I guess. I could spend hours trying to find the one I like best but instead just picked one semi-randomly...

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2017, 10:46:33 AM »
Sorry, a link to the Mirliton page but this one is everything an orc stands for ( to me ). Big, brutish and dim-witted:

http://www.mirliton.it/product_info.php?pName=great-big-orc-warrior-3&cName=fantasy-2528mm-orcs

( big fan of Nick Lund over here )  :).
Leadhead

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2017, 11:59:19 AM »
This chap and the mounted version are downstairs, but this is easier than photographing them ;D

Dwarf hero from a long time ago. One of the first dwarfs I painted and still one of my favourites

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2017, 12:08:27 PM »
I have that dwarf somewhere ;D

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2017, 01:43:17 PM »
It would probably have to be one of the old Perry orcs/goblins for me - one of the solid-based night goblins or armoured orcs, or the first range of slottabased orcs. Aly Morrison's hobgoblins and half-orcs are up there too, as are the Perrys' LotR baddies. My favourite of those at the moment is this one:

I've also grown increasingly partial to the Perry hobgoblins. My favourite of those is currently this fellow:

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2017, 02:18:53 PM »
Salute06 Arthur v Mordred. Had a few painted up by my favorite painters, and more stashed away in case some other guys say yes! :) ;)

A few more of the selections:
http://displacedminiatures.com/LeadAsbestos2010/gallery/2984/

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2017, 03:14:03 PM »

http://www.hfminis.co.uk/shop?product=mystic-warrior-libby~hfsf102&category=sci%252dfi-%26%0D%0Aweird-war~sci%252dfi-humans
I actually like most Hasslefree miniatures, but there is one in particular that I like most of all -
My rendition of HFSF102 Mystic Warrior Libby:

« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 03:16:23 PM by Michi »

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2017, 03:58:54 PM »

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2017, 01:02:15 AM »
It's hard for me to pick a favorite mini on its own merits, as there's too many good ones to choose from, and that's even with me being as picky as I am.

The ones that stand out in memory are the "landmark" ones in my personal history, rather than necessarily the "best". I got into gaming minis somewhere in my pre-teens, but then fell away from it after just a few years. Then about a decade ago some tangential internet hobby stuff lead to me rediscovering them.

The two the stand out in my memory from when I was a kid (note: pics are not mine):

As a wee trekkie in the late 80s, I loved this particular FASA design because of how perfectly it translated the old Romulan warbird to the movie-era aesthetic. It was IMO the perfect "unseen" counterpart to the refit Enterprise and the K'Tinga. I still feel this way, even though I haven't been a real trekkie anymore for a long time now. I hunted down one of these some years ago, but haven't painted it yet, as I keep redesigning the paint scheme in my head.

A CG version is on my "to do" list as well. I've seen a few CG models of it that other people have done, and the thing that always annoys the piss out of me is how people often omit those tight concentric lines on the primary hull. This is half-understandable, as FASA's own ortho illustrations omit them as well (and CG modelers are likely referencing those without ever even looking at the mini), but IMO that is an essential part of the "look" of the ship, and trying to do a Gallant Wing without that is like trying to do Cajun food without bell pepper.

One of the THE first minis I painted as a kid. Did it it in bright grasshopper-y greens with yellow belly scales and purple eyes (Poly-S paints, remember those?). Sadly long gone (though surprisingly, I still have some of those Poly-S pots, that even more surprisingly are still good). I keep meaning to buy one from Iron Wind (amazing that this is still in production). Still my my favorite "Umber Hulk" sculpt, due to the proportions and shovel-claws. IMO it sells the sense of being an actual big heavy animal (like a rhinoceros or a bear), as a opposed to the more common twiggy sculpts that handwave that stuff instead.

TOTALLY cheesy, but it's the mini that kicked off my rediscovery of the hobby like ten years ago. I had no idea how things had progressed while I was "away". Being randomly linked to the Hasslefree minis site one day and seeing how much better the sculpting was than what I remembered from back in the late 80s and early 90s threw the doors open for me. I was a 1/20-1/6 figure guy at the time, and had long ago dismissed the wee stuff as being too crude and unerdetailed for my taste, Seeing how that had changed didn't just bring me back, it completely flipped my interests. Nowadays I just do gaming minis, no longer big scale figures, because a modern well-sculpted gaming scale mini can have all the visual appeal of a big figure for a small fraction of the price, and a tiny fraction of the display space (1/8-1/6 figures add up FAST, shelf-space wise).

« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 01:06:52 AM by Connectamabob »
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2017, 11:14:00 AM »

TOTALLY cheesy, but it's the mini that kicked off my rediscovery of the hobby like ten years ago. I had no idea how things had progressed while I was "away". Being randomly linked to the Hasslefree minis site one day and seeing how much better the sculpting was than what I remembered from back in the late 80s and early 90s threw the doors open for me.  Seeing how that had changed didn't just bring me back, it completely flipped my interests.

Oh yeah, that rendition of Libby is one of my favs as well! I almost forgot...

Offline boneio

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2017, 06:13:27 PM »
That is just wonderful  :D    :-* :-*