Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:49:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686601
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: So this is How the World Ends. (15mm Post-Apoclyptic)  (Read 1324 times)

Offline Skipper

• Bookworm
So this is How the World Ends. (15mm Post-Apoclyptic)
« on: March 27, 2023, 07:18:52 PM »
It's been a while since I've gamed.  But now that I'm no longer coaching soccer and my second child is getting ready to move off, I've found myself with hobby time on my hands. I started back painting a bit, some terrain building, and tickering with my own homebrew rules.  Today however, I got in a couple of test games

I have to send out a cheer to the following two rule sets that are responsible for getting me active again.  Zona Alfa and Beneath a Martian Yoke.  Both have inspired me to begin reworking my system.

Skipper

"No challenge is too small.......or too large!"

Offline Skipper

• Bookworm
Re: So this is How the World Ends. (15mm Post-Apoclyptic)
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2023, 07:39:36 PM »
Game 1:  This game is based pretty much on Beneath a Martian Yoke.  I used the rules pretty much as is with only a few modifications .  I like this game and it played well.  Lots of tension and stress ( Just what I like).  Just moved to my own personal setting without thecmartians.

[/URL]
https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/uu340/Skipper_JRS/20230327_100835.jpg
Sebastian, Fredrick, Bob, and Laura ((from left to right)  formed a loose survival coalition.

Only three were available due to a pregame concussion on Sebastian.  And the youngest, Laura, had managed to get t stuck in someone's makeshift trap. This left Fredrick and Bob to extract her before things went sideways.  Laura is in the courtyard and the heros (Fred and Bob) are entering on the right.  They discovered that the area had been mined and had to proceed with caution.
[/URL]

Fredrick took the direct route while Bob skirted the boundaries.  Stealth was the name of the day.  Fortunately the did not set any, of the mines off, freed Laura, and the exits off the map.  Even more fortunate for them, they did not stir up a hornets nest,
[/URL]

I like how the game played, but will be slowly moving to my own rules as I find time to modify them.

Now I just have to figure how to embed images from photobucket

Edit;
I've kind of figured it out, but will add links to the full size picture to in the future.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 08:01:37 PM by Skipper »

Offline Skipper

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2023, 11:13:56 PM »
Game 2:  Travellers- Our group of survivors find themselves trapped in the local industrial district.  Getting to a safe place they know is crucial.  They have already witnessed 3 deaths by the cannibals that seem to be scattered everywhere.  The local networks are advising to shelter in place.   Unfortunately there is not a lot off options.  They tried to get in a couple of tennaments but they were either locked down and guarded by frightened  tenants or there where trails Xorn blood at the entryways.

Fredrick suggested they ignore the shelter in place and head the 2-3  miles to his place in a subdivision. Bob complained about the lack of public transportation but eventually decided to tag along when a numer of police cruisers were converging on the bus stop they had just exited. The local streets seemed deserted, but the sirens and horns blowing indi acted and awful lot of activity both downtown and over by the bypass.

So off the went, hugging the walls and parked cars.  Bob pocketed number of large rocks bragging he used to be a pitcher in the minors,  though Sebatian, thought it was more likely the High School team twenty years past.

Sebastian, whose head was still aching and clouding his mind after his work truck rolled over avoiding a blood soaked kid wandering the. Idling on the road.   By the time he returned to conscienceness, the kid was gone but a number of blood trails marked the blacktop.  "What the he'll is going on " he thought to himself.  As he climbed out of the cab he grabbed his sterring wheel lock to use as a walking support.  It was `t until later that he realized  that this was a fortunate decision.

Fredrick was caring a Iron pipe he had been cleaning when the sirens started.  Even though he told no one, he actually had played class A  ball in Durham.  He had a good swing, but never could master hitting a slider.  He was thick with a belly from too much beer.

Laura, the kid Fredrick had pulled from under a pile of pallets was twitchy. She kept glancing in all direction like a he'll hound was after her. She made him nervous.

As they were passing a construction yard the spotted a couple of blood soaked guys up ahead in their way.  Two wandered aarround a large maintenance shop, but the third ambled to the corner of the fence ahead of them.
[/URL]

It was at this point when it spotted them and rushed the wall and began climbing it. Fredrick led the way diagonally across the street trying to both bypass the psycho as well as avoid conflict. Bob and Sebastian followed ans Laura ran ahead a bit eventually kneeling g and pulling what appeared to be a service revolver from under her shirt.  "Damn, I knew she was up to something....." Just as they were entering the next block, the psycho charged Sebastian who was leaning on his steering wheel lock.  He manged to swing it keeping the psycho off him. (I told you he'd be glad he had it later). Before Fredrick could step up and swing or Bob could throw his rock, Laura squeezed off a single shot, dead center mass.
[/URL]

In the distance, the other two psychos heard the shot and headed to the wall, one moving along the inside and the other tumbling over it. They all stood and watched the sicking impact of the tumbler who seemed unphased.  It was mesmerizing,

"OH my God! " yelled Bob as he noticed the stiff getting back up too its knees.

Sebastion looked down and made a quick decision,  "Run".  Everyone of then responded and followed without a second thought.

So fans, will our desperate heroes make their way home, or will they fall to a fate that is worse than living with your mother-in-law?

Edit: Fixed (rotated) the bottom picture
« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 03:20:21 PM by Skipper »

Offline Kourtchatovium104

• Scientist
  • An atom from alternate realities...
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2023, 01:20:10 PM »
Interesting and pleasant report to read! I'm also using Zona Alfa (with All thing zombies) to make my own rules :)

Offline Skipper

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2023, 07:39:26 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

Game 3:  Roadblock -In hot pursuit

Our ragtag team has manged to attract a large number of "rioters" who are hot on their tails. Infantry they find themselves facing another hoard to their front. As they turn the corner, they see a road block at the end of the street.  Sporadic shots come from that direction.  They ask themselves, is this safety, or just another hurdle to bypass.
[/URL]

They begin running down the street with Laura out in front.  Man, that kid is fast.  The rioters make both corners and begin down the street.  It's at about this time when one of the vehicles in the street begins to burn. I guess the motor was left on and overheated.
[/URL]

There is not much to do but run.  Sebastian tells everyone to "hug the right side of the street".  The plan seems to be working as they keep distance between the rioters and themselves.  They did not see the lurker until it charge at Bob. It was so close Bob could smell its foul breath.  He panics and begins to make a run for it.  It's atthe timexthat Laura, the kid, aims and single taps the goon.  "I need to watch my back with that girl as I do not want her mad at me." Thought Fredrick.

As the group approaches the road block they noticed the bodies piled up by the patrol cars.  It's going to be tough to walk through that.  The patrol men drop a couple of people at the patrol cars with sporadic volleys. Sebastian yells out "Do not shoot, they are after us"  Pleading his case as they run.  His words, or perhaps the panic in his voice seems to work as a couple of patrolman make way for them to cross the cars.
[/URL]

Fredrick leads the way sliding across-the-board hood to relative safety, followed by Bob and then Sebastian.  Laura however slips just as she reached the first  patrol car and goes down.  The rioters hot on her tail.  Another volley by the police drops two more of the closest rioters. This give Laura rimw to get back to her feet at attempt to cross the Roadblock again. Bob groans aloud as Laura slips on some blood on the hood of the patrol car. Hertford attemp was the charm as she dives across and slides to the safe side.  Just ahead of the waves of rioters.  ,man that was close.
[/URL]

The rioters push against the cars and begin scrambling across them. It's at this point that the civilians flee into the distance.  Behind them the Patrolmen are overrun and fo down,  One lone patrolman breaks free from the melee and runs.
[/URL]

"Only two blocks to go" Shouts Fredrick as he picks up his pace.

Offline Dan55

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2023, 05:39:38 AM »
Exciting report so far.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2023, 06:38:37 AM »
Great series of posts! I love narrative wargaming and 15mm. Eager to see more!

Offline Aethelwulf

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2023, 08:19:38 AM »
Great reports, will be watching for more.
''Any officer who goes into action without his sword is improperly dressed''-Jack Churchill

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2023, 09:29:32 PM »
Great reports. I'm looking forward to reading what happens in the next installment
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge