Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:48:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686591
  • Total Topics: 118109
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: This Is Not A Test Koyote  (Read 68042 times)

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
Re: This Is Not A Test Koyote
« Reply #330 on: September 01, 2020, 03:53:19 PM »
Are they stiff, or do they have some bend to them? I need some rivers, but haven't been feeling much inspiration on that front. I'd probably go with acrylic mat type construction if I did it myself, just for the flex, though it makes little sense for a river to flow up and over a hill  ::)

I don't mind pricey if they get the job done and it isn't something I'm just dying to make myself.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #331 on: September 01, 2020, 05:26:14 PM »
Are they stiff, or do they have some bend to them? I need some rivers, but haven't been feeling much inspiration on that front. I'd probably go with acrylic mat type construction if I did it myself, just for the flex, though it makes little sense for a river to flow up and over a hill  ::)

I don't mind pricey if they get the job done and it isn't something I'm just dying to make myself.
They are made from a stiff, rubber-like material, so they do have some flex to them. 

Like you, I feel that the time I save building my own toxic rivers is well worth the price. 

I paid full price for them, but after receiving them I noticed that Miniature Market had them on sale for 2/3rds regular price.  Doh!

I hope Syrinx0 was able to take advantage of the sale.  Yesterday, when I looked at Miniature Market they had only one more set in stock.

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #332 on: September 01, 2020, 11:26:31 PM »
I hope Syrinx0 was able to take advantage of the sale.  Yesterday, when I looked at Miniature Market they had only one more set in stock.
I nabbed one when they had seven.  Seems they owe you for an assist for sales.  lol
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #333 on: September 03, 2020, 06:26:44 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, Koyote. I'm going to keep an eye open for any sales or discounts in the future. Full price is a bit steep when compared to buying River sets from Battlefield Terrain Concepts. I'll probably just go that route in the next month or so.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #334 on: September 03, 2020, 07:39:33 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, Koyote. I'm going to keep an eye open for any sales or discounts in the future. Full price is a bit steep when compared to buying River sets from Battlefield Terrain Concepts. I'll probably just go that route in the next month or so.
I recommend that you keep an eye out for GF9 sales. 

I just checked Miniature Market.  They now have 6 of these rivers in stock and are selling them on sale for $40.  I don't know what they charge for shipping, but their FAQ says that they will provide you with a quote.

Battlefield Terrain Concepts sells 5 feet of rivers pieces that are 2.5" wide for $43.  The river banks are covered in flock, which to begin with looks good, but over time the flock will fall off, creating a mess wherever you use the terrain and in your terrain storage box.

GF9 sells 6 feet of river pieces that generally vary in width from 4" to 5" for $60 ($40 at Miniatures Market).  Since the GF9's toxic river's banks are not covered with flock they will produce less mess, have less visible wear and tear, and can be repaired easily with a bit of paint.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #335 on: September 14, 2020, 04:12:53 PM »
I finished painting my Rad Zombies.

TNT Rad Zombie aren't supernatural, Night of the Living Dead zombies, but are rather humans infected with a peculiar form of radiation sickness that makes them zombie-like.  With this in mind I purchased Pig Iron Productions' Infected models and painted their flesh with a mix of GW's Rakarth Flesh and Kislev Flesh with greenish grey shading.  The tones and the shading are a bit subtle, so they did't come across in the photo very well.

TNT's fluff states that "[l]egend has it that most rad zombies are Last Americans irradiated during the Great Fall."  As such, I am comfortable using the model in the mini-skirt and the model in the blue hospital gown.  The latter is open in the back so clearly rad zombies have no sense of modesty.

My TNT table represents an ruins of a downtown neighborhood where once stood some the city's oldest buildings, like Seattle's Pioneer Square.  In keeping with this, I picture the footbridges over my toxic river as something you would see in city park designed by the American landscape architect, Fredrick Olmsted.   Any wooden bridges would have burned up in the nuclear firestorm or rotted away over time.  Conversely, since stone structures built in early 20th century were built to last, I can envision some of them surviving the centuries, more or less, intact.

The design of TT Combat's Stretto Bridge match my vision for these bridges.  I was a bit concerned that the arch wouldn't be wide enough, but you can see it crosses the narrow sections of the river with room to spare, and the abutments lie flat on the table.  It's a good thing too, because I bought a 3-pack.  :) 

« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 06:08:49 PM by Koyote »

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #336 on: September 14, 2020, 05:36:24 PM »
Nice work on the zombies. They look good.

I look forward to seeing the bridge painted. How are you going to finish them.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #337 on: September 14, 2020, 05:42:17 PM »
Well, that bridge really does the trick!

Offline Kikuchiyo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #338 on: June 19, 2021, 08:47:36 PM »
Really great thread and the scenery looks fantastic

just wondering if you answer a mundain question regarding tree brands

particularly the ones on the left as i've been looking for both and can't find anything with trunks and both of these look ideal

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #339 on: July 05, 2021, 08:37:14 PM »
Really great thread and the scenery looks fantastic

just wondering if you answer a mundain question regarding tree brands

particularly the ones on the left as i've been looking for both and can't find anything with trunks and both of these look ideal
My apologies for the late reply.

I'm not 100% certain, but think that the trees on the left are spruce trees from Bachmann's Scene Scapes line.  All the trees I use for scenery are made my manufacturers of model railroad scenery.  Other manufacturers you should look into are Woodland Scenics, Grand Central Gems, and JTT.

Offline Kikuchiyo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #340 on: July 05, 2021, 09:06:32 PM »
Thanks certainly looks close enough to give it a go :)

Offline Askellad

• Scientist
« Reply #341 on: May 18, 2022, 09:04:09 PM »
Love your work especially the Map!

Offline James Mahdeep Bond V

• Bookworm
« Reply #342 on: May 20, 2022, 03:57:59 PM »
You've got a whole lot of great stuff. Impressive to the point where I am looking for some of those models. 23 pages of wow so far. Good job.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #343 on: March 13, 2023, 04:28:18 PM »
Hey mate, made any more progress on this now that folks are gaming together again?

I noticed Worlds End Publishing does not have any miniatures in their webstore but this thread still remains quite inspirational.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #344 on: March 14, 2023, 09:34:32 AM »
This is my first time delving into to his thread and I'll just say Wow  :-*
You have done an amazing job fleshing out and populating your post-apocalypse world. Keep up the good work
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge