Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:39:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686502
  • Total Topics: 118105
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Brand New Women of the Home Front by Bad Squiddo  (Read 4261 times)

Offline Annie

• Mad Scientist
  • "Down with this sort of thing!" (Careful now)
    • Bad Squiddo Games
Re: Brand New Women of the Home Front by Bad Squiddo
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2017, 05:58:16 PM »
During World War II from 1939 to 1945 members of the QAIMNS (Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service) served in many countries ranging from Africa, Burma, China, Egypt, France, Gibraltar, Hong Kong, Iceland, Italy, Malaya, Malta, Normandy, Palastine and Singapore.

This vignette, sculpted by Alan Marsh and shown painted by Andrew Taylor is a tribute to those women. It can be used simply as a stand alone display but also in games to represent medics or even a wound marker.

"Many QAs made their way to Dunkirk to await evacuation. One of the last nursing sisters to leave France was Lillian Gutteridge who bravely defended her patients. A German SS officer tried to take over her ambulance and ordered his men to throw out the stretcher bound patients. Lillian Gutteridge was so outraged that she slapped the SS Officer's face. He stabbed her in the thigh with his dagger and he was killed by passing Black Watch soldiers before he could hurt her anymore. Despite her wound she drove the ambulance and her wounded patients to the railway siding and persuaded the French driver to take on board her patients. They went to Cherbourg and during their journey took on board another 600 French and British wounded troops. Several days later Lillian and her patients arrived safely in England. "

One Captain of a Hospital Ship wrote

"As Captain of this ship I should like to give expression to my admiration and deep regard for the Nursing Sisters aboard. We recently made two trips to Dunkirk and two to Cherbourg, in each case being the last Hospital Carrier to enter and leave the ports. Our second trip to Dunkirk was under extremely severe conditions, bombs and shells dropping all about us and men being wounded and killed alongside our ship on the pier. We had numerous narrow escapes and a nerve racking experience. During all this our Sisters were really splendid. Never a sign of excitement or panic of any kind. They just carried on under the able leadership of our Matron, calmly and efficiently. I feel quite sure that their magnificent behaviour was an important factor in steadying the members of the RAMC personnel with whom they worked."

Definitely more awesome than Tom Hardy.

Pre order yours here!
http://badsquiddogames.com/shop#!/Pre-Order-the-Ladies-of-the-Home-Front/c/25226639/offset=0&sort=addedTimeDesc

Cheers
Annie

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2017, 06:22:51 PM »
Superb  8) :-* 8) :-*

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2017, 06:26:15 PM »
Great vignette and moving story!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline SABOT

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • " Keep Loading !"
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2017, 07:04:47 PM »
Brilliant!

Offline Annie

• Mad Scientist
    • Bad Squiddo Games
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2017, 01:20:11 PM »
In it's peak in 1944, there were 80,000 women serving in the Women's Land Army in the UK. As more and more men went off to fight, many jobs were left behind, which traditionally "weren't for women". Women filling these jobs allowed more men to leave the shores, as women certainly weren't allowed to do such an "unwomanly" thing. Many meetings were held over the duration of WW2 and it was always agreed that as life givers, women should not be pulling any triggers, even when men relatively high up gave it the green light, it was seen to be a bad move that would cause a national uproar.

So thousands of women moved to the countryside, and became labourers, taking on every task you can imagine. Many were "city girls" with no experience of the outdoors, so it was quite the steep learning curve! It's hard to imagine now, but even the fact that the uniform included trousers was a very big deal - trousers were men's clothing!

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2017, 02:04:40 PM »
Very good.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2017, 03:22:18 PM »
Cracking paintjob on excellent sculpts! The faces and the clothes look so real!  :o

Offline Gazjones

• Librarian
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2017, 06:17:36 PM »
You've done the serving Women proud with these figures. My Mum served on the Anti Aircraft Guns during the London air-raids. My nextdoor neighbour served as a Land Girl. She told me many stories and showed many photos.

Stunning models and painting  :-* :-*

Gaz

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2017, 06:27:49 PM »
So in a nutshell, buy these! Buy them! Go on! And the faster you buy them, the faster there will be more

Anniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiie

OK, I give in! I've bought them! Lovely-looking figures.   :-*

Offline Johnnytodd

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2017, 09:28:21 PM »
Beautifully done!  I'd love to have a WASP pilot for one of my airplanes  ;) Hint

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2017, 12:43:25 AM »
Beautifully painted by Andrew. Love them all!
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline SABOT

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • " Keep Loading !"
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2017, 01:26:20 PM »
Terrific job on that last batch.

Offline Guillotine

• Lurker
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2017, 03:21:23 PM »
These are wonderful, looking forward to picking them up at Crisis!

Offline Annie

• Mad Scientist
    • Bad Squiddo Games
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2017, 09:36:26 PM »
Just a bump as I've been too busy to forum - they're all released and in a nice chunk of stock ready for shipping as soon as you order em! (well, in works hours)

http://badsquiddogames.com/shop#!/Soviets/c/21735085/offset=0&sort=addedTimeDesc

Offline SABOT

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • " Keep Loading !"
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2017, 11:55:40 PM »
I ordered them as a complete lot . Great casting quality and cannot wait to paint mine up.