Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:53:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: What other conflicts can the Perry HYW and WotR plastic ranges be used for?  (Read 2747 times)

Offline Siegfried

• Assistant
Good evening, lads! Hope you're all doing well. Here we go:

For a long time, I wasn't very fond of plastic figures, at least until the Perrys launched their range, and convinced of the product's potential. To say the least, my past experiences with Games Workshop's kits were... regretable unfortunately. So I did think for a time that the only way to get miniatures with some character put in them was through metal ones; and though there wasn't many chances to make my army a little bit more varied, I always had the chance of playing small skirmish games, where models were few and full of action.

Nowadays, things seem to be rather different from what I can observe. GW's products have clearly improved in terms quality (though styllistically I don't find them very pleasing), and metal miniatures appear to have no stop to their rising prices. For me personally things have also changed. Now, I tend to play games of a sligtly bigger scale in combat, with at least 100 per side, something that has almost become impossible to achieve with today's current circumstances. Besides, there's that whole aspect I mentioned before of having a charcaterful and varied army which I've come to value a lot more in recent years. That said, lead minis still have a very dear spot in my heart (I don't mean to sound like I've fallen out of love or anything of the sort). Hardly any ones I buy disappoint me, especially when you get those sculpted by the illustrious likes of Hicks and Bickley whose work has also seen an improvement and, in contrast to GW, appeals me very much. Still, I am afraid to say that unless someone hypnotises me to change my mind, I won't be buying a hundred copies of the same pair of models for however nice they may  to me.

So, with metal out of the board and plastics being the only option left, I was wondering: What other periods and conflicts can the Perry HYW and WotR plastic ranges be used for? And if there's any, what other miniature manufacturers can possibly complement those sets?

From what I could think of myself, the Agincourt to Orleans range could be used for either the Hussite Wars or if not the Shrewsbury campaign. And as for the War of the Roses kits, I dare say the Burgundian-Swiss War is an option, but I can't think of nothing else. I also have an Italian Wars project currently on the go, so I also wonder if it would be historically accurate if I used some of them to build a pair of Italian units. Any other periods you have in mind?

Thank you very much for your time and help, I very much apreciate it. And sincerely, I wish all the best! Cheers!

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
Well of course the WOTR kits could be used as a basis for any European conflict in the latter half of the 15th century!

How about the last few years of the Hunded Years War  - 1450-1453. Saw the English on the retreat as the French got their act together and kicked them back home.

How about the War of the Burgundian Inheritance (if that's the correct name for it)? In an nutshell, as I understand it (I'm planning to look into this one more myself) after the death of Charles the Bold at the hands of the Swiss, the Burgundian territories were left to his daughter Mary... who married Archduke (later Emperor) Maximilian. The French crown took the death of the Duke as a chance to claim a lot of the Burgundian territories for themselves, whilst Maximilian claimed them for himself through his marriage to Mary.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
You have the Ghent revolted and two more revolts in Flanders at this time. Italian city state conflicts. The Reconqista was still going on in Spain. The fall of Constantinople. You have a very wide and expansive selection of conflicts to choose from.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
kind of cheated but a quick google search pulled these up.
1400–1415 Glyndŵr Rising
1401–1429 Appenzell Wars
1407–1468 Georgian-Turkoman War
1409–1411 Polish–Lithuanian–Teutonic War
1410–1435 War of Slesvig
1414 Hunger War
1419–1434 Hussite Wars
1422 Gollub War
1422 Battle of Arbedo
1425–1454 Wars in Lombardy
1431–1435 Polish–Teutonic War
1434–1436 Engelbrekt rebellion
1437 Budai Nagy Antal revolt
1438–1556 Russo-Kazan Wars
1440–1446 Old Zürich War
1441 Battle of Samobor
1443–1444 Long campaign
1445 First Battle of Olmedo
1447–1448 Albanian–Venetian War
1449–1450 First Margrave War
1449 Battle of Castione
1449–1453 Revolt of Ghent
1450 Jack Cade's Rebellion
1451–1455 Navarrese Civil War
1453–1454 Morea revolt
1454–1466 Thirteen Years' War
1455–1485 Wars of the Roses
1462–1485 Rebellion of the Remences
1462–1472 Catalan Civil War
1463–1479 Ottoman–Venetian War
1465 Battle of Montlhéry
1465–1468 Wars of Liège
1466–1469 Irmandiño Wars
1467 Second Battle of Olmedo
1467–1479 War of the Priests
1468 Waldshut War
1468–1478 Bohemian War
1470–1471 Dano-Swedish War
1470–1474 Anglo-Hanseatic War
1475–1479 War of the Castilian Succession
1477–1488 Austrian–Hungarian War (1477–88)
1478 Carinthian Peasant Revolt
1478 Battle of Giornico
1479 Battle of Guinegate
1482–1484 War of Ferrara
1484 Battle of Lochmaben Fair
1485–1488 Mad War
1487 Battle of Crevola
1487 War of Rovereto
1488 Battle of Sauchieburn
1492–1583 Muscovite–Lithuanian Wars
1493 Battle of Krbava Field
1493–1593 Hundred Years' Croatian–Ottoman War
1494–1498 Italian War of 1494–98
1495–1497 Russo-Swedish War
1497 Cornish Rebellion of 1497
1497 Battle of Rotebro
1499 Swabian War
1499–1504 Italian War of 1499–1504

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Here is my Swiss Burgundian Wars Project using Perry WOTR.
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=42627.0

Here is my Agincourt Project using Perry Agincourt to Orleans.
There are some Hussite type wagons on page 3.
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=78682.0

Offline Griefbringer

• Scientist
For the WotR and European Armies ranges, the following conflicts between 1495 and 1500 come immediately to my mind:

1.) English versus French crown in Normandy and Gascony (1450-1453)
2.) Burgundy versus various Low Country rebellions
3.) Burgundy versus French crown (War of the Common Weal etc.)
4.) Burgundy versus Holy Roman Empire (1475)
5.) Burgundy, Bretagne and Enland versus French Crown (1475)
6.) Burgundy versus Swiss and allies (1476-1477)
7.) Burgundian succession wars (especially Guinegate in 1479)
8.) Bretagne versus French crown (early 1490's)
9.) French invasion of Italy (1494 onwards)

Add to that various local conflicts within Holy Roman Empire, wars between Italian city states, Swiss and Austrian incursions into Italy plus conflicts in Scandinavia, and you have plenty of action in western Europe to get started with. And do not forget that the armies of the time could feature all sorts of allies and mercenaries, allowing you to possibly use certain units in multiple armies.

And once you go a bit further to the east, you will encounter the Ottomans advancing on the Balkans, where western allies or mercenaries could also make an appearance - not to mention that some of the local nobility might also be armoured in the western fashion.

Offline bluechi

• Librarian
Swiss/swabian war and swiss against milan

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Bloody hell Commissar, that's quite a list  :o

Cornish Rebellion, 1497... now that does sound tempting...  :)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures

I have been trying to find some thing to respark my interest and to work on my figs, and I just googled 15th century conflicts and the wik gave me this list.  lol

Offline Griefbringer

• Scientist

IIRC it involved one big battle, which went poorly for the rebels - no idea about the smaller actions preceeding. I presume that the rebels may not have been very uniform looking, though I am wondering whether the royalists had some sort of common field sign amongst themselves.

As for myself, I think the Austrian-Hungarian war could be quite interesting - the Hungarians even managed to capture Vienna in the end. Plus the Hungarian forces had quite a lot of western mercenaries, though these would need to be complemented by some native troops from another source - maybe the Old Glory range?

Offline Siegfried

• Assistant
Just what I thought. Wikipedia never fails!  :D

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
also known as 'Cream Tea Wars' ;)
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline bluechi

• Librarian
Shit... need ten more  boxes of european infantry...

Offline Siegfried

• Assistant
@Comissar: Same as you, Commissar. It's been quite the dilemma trying to find a conflict that can respark my interest in the period, so I'm very lucky to have your huge list at hand. Thanks!

@Mick: Now those are some quality miniatures! Great work you've done there, Mick, I must congratulate on that. I'll keep a close eye to what you have in store for next!

@Charlie: Good! I'm glad they can represent so many conflicts, that will surely give lots of options to choose from. What has really caught my interest as of late is something which reminds me very much to an old post of yours, Charlie, that idea of the "Englishman Abroad". Would give me the perfect chance to have most of the armies I'm interested in (because as you know, unless there's a secret medieval world war that nobody knows about yet, there would rarely be a chance of finding battles where the Flemish and English fought against the Germans and Italians).
Besides I'd like to see if I can use some parts of the Perry Agincourt range to build some spearmen and swordsmen, things which are essential to any Italian army that if reduced to only the WotR range can't really be achieved. I also like the models from there, but I suppose that using them along side WotR ones would set the project around the decades between 1420 and 1450... Or would it? I don't know, I leave it to you, the experts: Is the armour in the Agincourt plastic bodies too outdated to be used in the latter decades of the 15th Century?

Many thanks to all of you! And keep flooding this topic with ideas, they are of great help. Cheers!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 04:16:26 PM by Siegfried »

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
@Charlie: Good! I'm glad they can represent so many conflicts, that will surely give lots of options to choose from. What has really caught my interest as of late is something which reminds me very much to an old post of yours, Charlie, that idea of the "Englishman Abroad". Would give me the perfect chance to have most of the armies I'm interested in (because as you know, unless there's a secret medieval world war that nobody knows about yet, there would rarely be a chance of finding battles where the Flemish and English fought against the Germans and Italians).

Yes, mercenaries allow you to have all sorts of interesting mixes of nationalities on the tabletop!

My own project is in the 1450-1500 era, and is currently 'generic', though I'm saying it's set somewhere in medieval Germany. I have lots of generic troops currently serving as Germans, though sometime in the future I plan on some additions to make it work for the Burgundian Inheritance conflict I talked about above..... that will basically just mean a selection of Burgundian, Imperial and French flags to spread around the generic units.
As well as my English mercenary contingent (mixed longbowmen and dismounted men-at-arms), I am working on an Italian mercenary group (handgunners, crossbowmen and 'light' infantry) and have Swiss on the to-do list as well (pikemen of course).

Besides I'd like to see if I can use some parts of the Perry Agincourt range to build some spearmen and swordsmen, things which are essential to any Italian army that if reduced to only the WotR range can't really be achieved. I also like the models from there, but I suppose that using them along side WotR ones would set the project around the decades between 1420 and 1450... Or would it? I don't know, I leave it to you, the experts: Is the armour in the Agincourt plastic bodies too outdated to be used in the latter decades of the 15th Century?

Personally I wouldn't do it (using the Agincourt knight bodies that is), I think they would stand out too much as looking out-of-date, but it's up to you of course!
If I was doing late 1440s, early 1450s, say the last few years of the hundred years war, I'd just use the WOTR range. Though for the 1430s..... I dunno, that could be tricky!