Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:57:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690622
  • Total Topics: 118340
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Lord of the rings figures  (Read 1055 times)

Offline sakura11

• Librarian
Lord of the rings figures
« on: October 07, 2017, 07:48:41 PM »
Is there a market for these figures
I've had 14 well painted figures on eBay with no interest at about 2 80 a figure based and well painted
Looking at other figure they seem well priced
Indeed comparing painting I would say cheap
Any ideas?     152730552956 item
Cheers for any advice

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Re: Lord of the rings figures
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 08:08:16 PM »
With £4 postage and starting your auction at £29, you're asking people to spend £33 on 14 Hobbit models (the Hobbit stuff isn't as popular as the LOTR ones) as an opening bid. It's my experience that unless the paintjob is absolutely top class, a painted model will not get any more than an unpainted model (perhaps even less, because someone may want to strip it first). Looking at the 'Sold' listings, about £1 a model isn't unusual for the LOTR stuff.

If it was me I would relist and -

a) sell them as a 'Buy it Now', or
b) lower the postage cost and/or starting bid (which is a risk of course, because they might go for very little, but lowering the starting bid can encourage more bidders, which oddly often results in a higher final bid), or
c) split them up into smaller lots, or
d) have your auction end at the end of the month (payday) on a Sunday at around 7pm (the time that seems to get the best final bids), or

a combination of the above.

But that's just based on my experiences as a buyer and seller. Other people will no doubt have had different experiences and come up with different advice.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 09:58:44 PM by Cubs »
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 08:43:36 PM »
There is a relatively small group of people interested in buying painted figures to put on the table and play the game right away - others will either prefer unpainted miniatures to paint themselves or cheap painted figures to strip and repaint. The latter will only go for a fraction of the new price, unless they're metals (easier to strip and more sought after in general for being rare in some cases). Finally, yet others will look to purchase painted figures for display, but these would then require top-end paintjobs of course, which these simply aren't.

At a discount webstore, the full Escape from Goblin Town set can be bought for about twice your asking price. For that, people will have the same figures unpainted, plus scenery, a full goblin army and a rulebook. Indeed, most people will already possess the offered figures for that very reason, as it's rather good value, thus further decreasing demand.

Worth noting your listing also mentions they are finecast by the way, while the pictured figures are all plastic rather than resin (increasing value because many dislike finecast and plastic's easier to strip, but decreasing it because plastic is simply worth less).
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 09:03:36 PM »
Those are plastic figures, not Finecast as you describe.  That alone would make me pause.

Do your research too.  There's currently the same Thorin's Company on the sprue for £19.99 here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/games-workshop-the-hobbit-escape-from-goblin-town-thorins-company-dwarves-/302472445157

and a painted set with Bilbo and Gandalf for £49.00 here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hobbit-Escape-from-Goblin-Town-Gandalf-and-Thorins-company-fine-level-painted-/122739324000

How do you feel those compare with your prices?

Edit: Coenus caught the Finecast thing first!

These are also not the most popular sculpts (which goes for The Hobbit range in general) - a lot of people don't like the "goofy" style of dwarf.

As a guide, I bought 15 normal plastic LotR dwarves this summer (12 plastic, 3 metal), painted to a standard that I was happy to put straight into my army.  They cost me £15 with no other bidders, so Cubs has it right too.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 09:08:18 PM by Momotaro »

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 09:19:21 PM »
You aren't using a lot of keywords in the title - these aren't going to come up in people's searches very easily.

Your description
"Extremely well painted set
14 figures in total
Based well"

This isn't really telling the prospective buyer anything. Most of what is there is judgement, and the prospective buyer will have their own opinion.

In my opinion they aren't extremely well painted. Compare yours to the other set linked to above.

Offline sakura11

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 08:42:01 AM »
Many thanks for  taking the time to answer
Some interesting points
I was given the figs and was working very much on historical figure lines
I had assumassumed they were finecast as one figure was badly deformed and unable to be used which is unusual in plastics
I also looked at some on eBay which maybe are rare figures and counted apparently as well painted
Figures certainly compare to the example
Have changed descrip9 and price
Again many thanks