Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:10:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Gangs of Rome  (Read 26203 times)

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
Re: Gangs of Rome
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2017, 01:25:00 AM »
Weird, I taught a unit on the Byzantines (or Eastern Roman Empire if you prefer) in my art history class a few days ago, and touched on the Nika riots. I thought it might be fun to game... and here is this thread :)
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2017, 01:56:33 AM »
If people are interested, the Combined Arms Podcast did a segment with one of the authors (Andy Hobday) on their most recent episode. It should provide a little more explanation as to the idea and the product itself.

hmm...Andy Hobday is one of the writers behind Test of Honour, which is a very very good game.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Doudou

• Bookworm
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2017, 06:51:01 PM »
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 10:18:13 AM by Doudou »

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2017, 12:53:16 AM »
Some excellent painting there - highly realistic.

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2017, 02:44:45 AM »
Regardless of what people's thoughts are on Gangs of Rome - these guys look great and are heaps useful!
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2017, 09:02:32 AM »
Excellent travail Doudou !
The basing are great too !

Bravo
Frenchy Eric, aka Ch'ti Eric or Re-Animator
"J'ai bon caractere mais j'ai le glaive vengeur et le bras seculier"

http://chti-reanimator59.blogspot.fr[

Offline Doudou

• Bookworm
« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2017, 10:17:33 AM »
his not my job :s
this pic from the footsore's Facebook

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2017, 10:34:32 AM »
his not my job :s
this pic from the footsore's Facebook

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !
ok.
thank you for sharing.

Now, i 'll go back to cry about my Rome project. New figures on the marketplace when i have finished... :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline Mr Brown

• Scientist
    • Speartips and Spaceships
« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2017, 08:46:26 AM »
I was quite excited by the prospect of this game but some of the stuff I have read over the last couple of days has really put me off. What was pegged to me as a skirmish 'war'game about gang fights in ancient Rome now seems to be more a collectable tournament style game.

It has been confirmed that the stat cards for the fighters are randomly generated and have enough variables that no two should be the same. Somehow these will all be balanced against a points cost to field with coins and such but to be fair, it put me off enough to not delve much further into. The variance might be tiny and add to the overall gameplay but I really dislike randomisation in games. I stopped playing Magic or any of those Clix games long ago because I dislike the pay to win mentality. I have a limited budget, as I suspect most will, and assertions that the skill comes from what you do with your fighters isn't a ringing endorsement.

I'll keep an eye on the game when it's released and have a read of the rules which are being released as a free pdf. As it stands though, something that has gone from a purchase has gone to a hard pass.

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2017, 08:59:42 AM »
I was quite excited by the prospect of this game but some of the stuff I have read over the last couple of days has really put me off. What was pegged to me as a skirmish 'war'game about gang fights in ancient Rome now seems to be more a collectable tournament style game.

It has been confirmed that the stat cards for the fighters are randomly generated and have enough variables that no two should be the same. Somehow these will all be balanced against a points cost to field with coins and such but to be fair, it put me off enough to not delve much further into. The variance might be tiny and add to the overall gameplay but I really dislike randomisation in games. I stopped playing Magic or any of those Clix games long ago because I dislike the pay to win mentality. I have a limited budget, as I suspect most will, and assertions that the skill comes from what you do with your fighters isn't a ringing endorsement.

I'll keep an eye on the game when it's released and have a read of the rules which are being released as a free pdf. As it stands though, something that has gone from a purchase has gone to a hard pass.

thank you for the news.
we have enough other ways to complete our goal then..... ;) ....with the LAF
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 09:05:02 AM by nervisfr »

Offline rumacara

• Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #70 on: November 17, 2017, 12:19:14 PM »
Well, some of the things i´ve read are also out of my quest.
Expensive miniatures (although with a lot of items on them), the way the game its played and probably is generic cost.
Nevertheless i will wait to read feedbacks from other gamers.
At least i still have some buildings to buy to complete my own project. lol

Offline joshuaslater

• Scientist
« Reply #71 on: November 17, 2017, 02:14:01 PM »
Weird, I taught a unit on the Byzantines (or Eastern Roman Empire if you prefer) in my art history class a few days ago, and touched on the Nika riots. I thought it might be fun to game... and here is this thread :)

I'm no historian, so I did a quick wiki read of the Nika riots.  Wow!!  GoR sounds like one way to game that.

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #72 on: November 17, 2017, 10:04:37 PM »
I'm not sure I follow well this discussion.

There are these new nice interesting miniatures from Footsore.

And – as many other companies do – they believe (right or wrong) that the minis will sell better it they have a ruleset embedded with them. Which may be true, it's true for some other ranges...
...but I'm always bewildered when people say that they are "painting an army for [insert rule name here] ruleset"
...I believe than when you paint an army it's because you want to have and to play this army; so you will be able to use it and play it with any ruleset. But that's just me...

Many people will certainly like the ruleset... and other people (as myself) will buy and use the minis with other rules that we like most.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 11:34:13 PM by Patrice »

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #73 on: November 18, 2017, 06:07:19 AM »
I, for one, can use the mat and the buildings. If only for that, I would be ecstatic. But also the figures look terrific. That is another plus. They are useful for different games, not only Gangs of Rome. So, regardless the rules, Footsore can count with me spending my money in their GoR range. However, as the rules will be for free in their website, in PDF format, I will give them a try too. I am fortunate of not give a damm about tournaments and competitive gaming; don't care if 'coins' are common, uncommon or rare. What I care is about quality miniatures. If I don't like the rules, I will use the figures with whatever other game I fancy. Therefore, in my book and for what have been shown so far, Footsore is delivering a product that I will be more than happy to buy.

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #74 on: November 18, 2017, 07:51:21 AM »
Have to totally agree with your comments. I have been amazed at the negativity appearing on this topic with the scant information prior to release. One would almost think there was a counter productive campaign occurring.

I, for one, can use the mat and the buildings. If only for that, I would be ecstatic. But also the figures look terrific. That is another plus. They are useful for different games, not only Gangs of Rome. So, regardless the rules, Footsore can count with me spending my money in their GoR range. However, as the rules will be for free in their website, in PDF format, I will give them a try too. I am fortunate of not give a damm about tournaments and competitive gaming; don't care if 'coins' are common, uncommon or rare. What I care is about quality miniatures. If I don't like the rules, I will use the figures with whatever other game I fancy. Therefore, in my book and for what have been shown so far, Footsore is delivering a product that I will be more than happy to buy.

Cheers,
Poiter50