Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:02:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691076
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: the Tintin Reader  (Read 3495 times)

Offline secharles

• Bookworm
Re: the Tintin Reader
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2017, 07:21:21 PM »
...the Blue Lotus was where Hergé started ...

interesting information throughout; thank you

Offline secharles

• Bookworm
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2017, 07:24:57 PM »

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2017, 07:29:39 PM »
I have a collected English edition in smaller box-set format, since I gave our original childhood copies to my younger brother (reasoning that since I was six years older and moved out ten years before he did, I'd be in more of a position to replace them than he would), same as I did with our Asterix as well. What I'd really like to do is resume collecting the French editions in the nice full-size original hardbacks (I only have a couple, but I do have my personal favourite, Coke en stock).

I think I'd have to say that my favourites are The Red Sea Sharks, Tintin in Tibet, and The Secret of the Unicorn/Red Rackham's Treasure. There's a reason the latter pair formed much of the basis for the movie; they're probably the most quinessentially "Tintin" story.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2017, 08:58:23 PM »
(As an aside Fram, it's taken me this long to work out why I like your signature.)
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2017, 04:18:39 AM »
I'm flattered but confused. ;D

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2017, 12:03:20 PM »
I just realised the font you used for "FRAMSON STUDIOS" is the same used on the Tintin covers and therefore I warmed to your "brand".

The painting's pretty nice too.

(Good save Karsten, good save.)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2017, 06:37:59 PM »
Oh yes - I'd totally forgotten lol

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2017, 11:38:52 AM »
I have a collected English edition in smaller box-set format, since I gave our original childhood copies to my younger brother (reasoning that since I was six years older and moved out ten years before he did, I'd be in more of a position to replace them than he would), same as I did with our Asterix as well. What I'd really like to do is resume collecting the French editions in the nice full-size original hardbacks (I only have a couple, but I do have my personal favourite, Coke en stock).

I think I'd have to say that my favourites are The Red Sea Sharks, Tintin in Tibet, and The Secret of the Unicorn/Red Rackham's Treasure. There's a reason the latter pair formed much of the basis for the movie; they're probably the most quinessentially "Tintin" story.

I must agree that Red Sea Sharks is my favourite, although I am surprised there is not much love expressed for Land of Black Gold, which precedes it. The Calculus Affair would probably be next. If it is not heresy to praise the redrawn versions, I very much like The Black Island and Cigars.

I have the TV cartoons, but I am not much of a fan. They just don't convey the humour that well to me, and are only moderately well drawn IMHO. I do however like the live action Golden Fleece, which is much better than the Blue Oranges, and really does feel like a very faithful adaptation. I am afraid the Spielberg version was a bit too "uncanny valley" for me.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2017, 12:45:30 PM »
although I am surprised there is not much love expressed for Land of Black Gold

Because Abdullah is a little shit.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2017, 01:17:16 PM »
Well, I was discussing this topic offline with my nephew, and he said Land of Black Gold is his favourite, so it does have some love.

It does have some classic Tintin comedy. The sequence with the detectives lost in the desert is still one of the funniest things in a Tintin book, I think.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2017, 06:36:00 PM »
Land of Black Gold is quite good, especially in the redrawn version, but I think I prefer the classic cold war shenanigans of The Calculus Affair - even though the escape at the end gets very very silly. The sequence where they get rid of the two minders is pure hilarity.

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2017, 06:49:22 PM »
Another lover of Tintin here. I can't add anything to the above recommendations, which I largely agree with, except to say King Ottokar's Scepter is probably my favourite as well, though that might be due to its being the first I read. Tintin is a wonderful world, with so much to explore.

I mention this while preparing to duck, but must say I quite liked Spielberg's treatment on film. I hope he comes out with another. What did you all think of it?

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2017, 06:57:49 PM »
The film wasn't quite the Tintin from the books but it very rarely is with book to screen adaptations. I liked it though and would definitely like to see more.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2017, 07:26:33 PM »
Yes, I definitely understood the "uncanny valley" complaints, but I felt it was a solid film and a serviceable film treatment, which is a lot higher praise than I give to most film adaptations of books, I must say. Especially considering how something as dear to me as Tintin (I would actually be understating things to say that discovering Tintin at an early age defined a great part of my life) would be held to an even higher standard than usual.

Offline secharles

• Bookworm
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2017, 08:09:35 PM »
I tried my darnedest to watch it on youtube but the quality was so poor (video & sound) that I bailed about 20 minutes in. guess i'll stick with cartoons until the books roll in sometime this winter.