Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:05:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 1/600th Cold War Tu-95 Bears - Finally!  (Read 1194 times)

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
1/600th Cold War Tu-95 Bears - Finally!
« on: September 14, 2017, 10:48:57 PM »
After years of whining about not being able to purchase some of these, since no one makes them, I'm pleased to announce that I was finally able to do so, and now have a very small force of them to menace the USA, Canada, Japan, and the rest of the world, muhahahaha...............

Plan on getting a whole squadron, or regiment, as funds permit.

Heck, they can even be used today, for Ultramodern scenarios as well, if you prefer, since the Russian ground crew personnel are no doubt working overtime to keep these tired old workhorses in the air, more than 60 years after they first became operational.

I got them from Tony Noble, just the other day, who was kind enough to print them for me.  They're the correct, large and impressive scale, unlike one being sold on Shapeways that is far too small (more like 1/800th scale for that one, though billed as larger).

They're not the most pristine, high quality aircraft miniatures I've ever bought, but with a bit of cleanup, judicious application of primer, and/or a filling clear-coat, and some paint and decals, they'll make decent looking, Cold War era bombers good enough to grace any wargaming table. Can't beat the price of $3.00 each,
either.

I'll post some pics, once I get them painted up.

Now, I want some Bison's, Backfires, and B-36s, as well as more Bears too.

I've asked him to look into the Bison's, since I'll be needing some of those soon, as well.  Really want the larger, Bison B model, if he can find some 3-D artwork for that.

If you want more info, send me a PM, and I'll put you in contact with him.  He goes by Bashytubits on TMP.

He also produces a lot of other stuff, at very reasonable prices too, e.g. other scales of aircraft, armored vehicles, etc..

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
Re: 1/600th Cold War Tu-95 Bears - Finally!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 07:56:05 PM »
I just noticed that Shapeways is offering FREE shipping, for the next 10 days, if you spend over $25 on their website.

Looks like I may need to order those sexy, F-101 Voodoos, since they're the only interceptor that can carry TWO nuke tipped AAMs.  Plus, it's just such a lovely looking jet, and I've had no success in getting others to make this in metal thus far, in 1/600th scale, so......

No doubt, those Bear bomber pilots should be more than a little worried.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 10:35:25 AM »
Good news on the Bears and thanks for the heads up, there's a little from Brigade Models that's been tempting me.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 08:57:46 PM »
After years of whining about not being able to purchase some of these, since no one makes them, I'm pleased to announce that I was finally able to do so, and now have a very small force of them to menace the USA, Canada, Japan, and the rest of the world, muhahahaha...............

Plan on getting a whole squadron, or regiment, as funds permit.

Heck, they can even be used today, for Ultramodern scenarios as well, if you prefer, since the Russian ground crew personnel are no doubt working overtime to keep these tired old workhorses in the air, more than 60 years after they first became operational.

I got them from Tony Noble, just the other day, who was kind enough to print them for me.  They're the correct, large and impressive scale, unlike one being sold on Shapeways that is far too small (more like 1/800th scale for that one, though billed as larger).

They're not the most pristine, high quality aircraft miniatures I've ever bought, but with a bit of cleanup, judicious application of primer, and/or a filling clear-coat, and some paint and decals, they'll make decent looking, Cold War era bombers good enough to grace any wargaming table. Can't beat the price of $3.00 each,
either.

I'll post some pics, once I get them painted up.

Now, I want some Bison's, Backfires, and B-36s, as well as more Bears too.

I've asked him to look into the Bison's, since I'll be needing some of those soon, as well.  Really want the larger, Bison B model, if he can find some 3-D artwork for that.

If you want more info, send me a PM, and I'll put you in contact with him.  He goes by Bashytubits on TMP.

He also produces a lot of other stuff, at very reasonable prices too, e.g. other scales of aircraft, armored vehicles, etc..

I have a Tu95. Everyone needs a squadron of Backfires though....

Offline Tgerritsen

• Student
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 07:56:04 PM »
Great to hear, Mako.  I printed up some test ones on my own 3D printer and they worked ok, but those wings are so very thin that I don't know how long they will last.  I'll have to pick up some off Shapeways.

Good to see you here.  I miss you over at that old site.  It's just getting odd these days over there so I am looking to pick up my involvement over here.

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 01:59:39 AM »
Hi TG,

Good to see you here as well.

Yes, I miss some of me mates from "the other site", but don't miss a lot of the other stuff.

A pity to see Tango getting worked over and over.  I miss him.  Perhaps he'll join us here, since he posts a lot of interesting stuff.

I got my Tu-95s from Tony Noble, and they seem pretty durable.  His are printed in plastic, so they may be a bit more robust.  Not really sure about that, but at least they are to scale, unlike the too small "1/600th" ones listed on Shapeways.   I've asked to have those resized, with no joy.

For Backfires, T.D. now produce those, though I haven't seen them, and they aren't on the Dom's Decals website yet, but are on the Tumbling Dice website - sadly, no pic yet though.

There are also all three variants of the F-35 available from T.D. too.  Only the F-35A from OO/Pico.

Not sure if Tony can produce the Backfires.  I've inquired several times about them, along with other items, but never got a clear answer on them.  If so, they'd be the most affordable option, for those in the USA.

Need to break out the sandpaper and paint, and get some Bears finished.

Best regards,

Rob

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 05:18:32 AM »
Look forward to seeing some pics when you get them painted, be interested to see how they look. :)

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 08:21:01 PM »
Hi TG,

Good to see you here as well.

Yes, I miss some of me mates from "the other site", but don't miss a lot of the other stuff.

A pity to see Tango getting worked over and over.  I miss him.  Perhaps he'll join us here, since he posts a lot of interesting stuff.

I got my Tu-95s from Tony Noble, and they seem pretty durable.  His are printed in plastic, so they may be a bit more robust.  Not really sure about that, but at least they are to scale, unlike the too small "1/600th" ones listed on Shapeways.   I've asked to have those resized, with no joy.

For Backfires, T.D. now produce those, though I haven't seen them, and they aren't on the Dom's Decals website yet, but are on the Tumbling Dice website - sadly, no pic yet though.

There are also all three variants of the F-35 available from T.D. too.  Only the F-35A from OO/Pico.

Not sure if Tony can produce the Backfires.  I've inquired several times about them, along with other items, but never got a clear answer on them.  If so, they'd be the most affordable option, for those in the USA.

Need to break out the sandpaper and paint, and get some Bears finished.

Best regards,

Rob

Tumbling Dice Backfires? News to me! Thanks.