Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 10:57:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691108
  • Total Topics: 118374
  • Online Today: 880
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: BLORE HEATH  (Read 2247 times)

Offline Dez

• Librarian
    • https://vk.com/club90445881
BLORE HEATH
« on: October 12, 2017, 02:10:10 AM »
So, the battle of Blor Heath took place !!! The game was very dynamic and interesting. A lot of small things that surfaced during the battle, just gave the opportunity to refresh the rules in memory of the next campaign for the Wars of the Roses.
The terrain, disposition and general orders we made in accordance with the historical descriptions of the battle, although we ignored the ditch before the positions of the Yorkists (kept it in mind  ;)). Lancastrian's wards received orders " Hasty Assault," the Yorkists, respectively, - " Defend Position".

With this disposition, other than how to attack, there were no other options for the Lankastrians. The battle began with the movement of the Lancastrians' mounted battles and the counter-shooting of Yorkists.

The cavalry, carrying the loss, got to the positions of the Yorkists, where there was a felling between the stakes. But to attack in hand-to-hand could only Audley's ward. Holland's ward did not dare attack the stakes and stopped in confusion. Audley's ward, fighting alone against two wards, was abandoned by the Yorkists. Archers of the Lancastrians approached the shooting range and were able to fire some of Harrington's ward. In view of its small number, the company from the Harrington's ward of could not withstand the heavy fire and flew with losses. On this all the luck of the Lancastrians ended.

Reorganized, the Audley's ward again attacked the position of Yorkists. Holland also managed to inspire his warriors to attack, and his ward attacked the position of Salisbury. Started a hard felling between the stakes.

Audley's ward was already exhausted by the attacks on the position of Montagu and could not stand the strain of melee. After suffering great losses, ward fled, smashing in the way behind Sutton's archers. The right flank of the Lancastrians was broken.
Holland's ward was discarded, but Holland continued to stubbornly attack Salisbury's position.

The heroic stubbornness of Holland led to disastrous results. Just as before, the Audley's ward, Holland's ward was completely exhausted by attacks on the position of Yorkists. In the end, and this ward, having suffered tangible losses, was turned into a flight. And also crushed the archers behind her from the Sutton's ward, under the command of Sir John Skidmore. The army of the Lancastrians was defeated and turned into a general flight.

The battle was completely in accordance with historical descriptions. Did not Baron Audley die. The rest exactly corresponded to "reality". That once again confirmed the complete absence of tactical thinking among the Lancastrians in this case. As a flimsy excuse, one can use what the Lancastrians did not see from the foot of the hill of stakes and the ditch in front of the positions of the Yorkists, they retreated behind the fortifications at the very beginning of the battle. But the presence of Wagenburg, should have hinted to the Lancastrians for the presence of fortifications, but ... most likely the Baronian arrogance and inexperience did their job.
Since we had time, we decided to play a hypothetical continuation if the cavalry had crushed the infantry and the infantry of the Lancastrians would have carried out the next attacks of positions.
Infant companies of the Lancastrians were cut through the pegs in the battles of the Yorkists. Began a brutal massacre. Boots Salisbury could not stand it and fled.
But on the left flank, the Lancastrians were attacked, out of Wagenburg, by Harrington.

The Skidmore's foot soldiers, attacked from two sides, were completely defeated. The remains rushed in all directions. The panic quickly spread across all the troops and the already battered and exhausted remnants of the Lancastrian's infantry turned to flight.

Overtime also did not save the Lancastrians from a devastating defeat.
The game turned out great! Many thanks for playing Dimon and Roman !!!
Preparing for further battles, already within the campaign!

« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 09:28:25 AM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: BLORE HEAT
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 05:24:20 AM »
Super looking game, some lovely figures there. :)

Offline Wellington Bonaparte

• Scientist
  • Strike Sure
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 05:40:09 AM »
Wonderful looking game some great minis there  :)
Stand Fast - Strike Sure -  Carry On - Bydand

Offline swordman

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 06:53:53 AM »
what a battle and a set up! ;D

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 07:33:36 AM »
nice
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 08:39:46 AM »
Great looking figures, and it seems a good game.

Offline vexillia

• Mad Scientist
    • Vexillia
Re: BLORE HEATH
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 09:38:45 AM »
Nice AAR.

You might be interested in this free sample pdf taken from Volume 1 of the Freezywater Source books.  It includes another map plus a roll of honour listing those of note that fought at Blore Heath.

Offline Dez

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 10:26:54 AM »
Thank you! I have this book. This is another variant of the battle. I used for the final outline plans and descriptions of Miller, Barrett, Gor, Haight, Parry, Ramsey, Battlefieldstrust, Sutton, Boardman and others. As a result, I had such a impression about the arrangement before the battle, or rather at the very beginning. When the Yorkists went behind a ditch and stakes.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 01:32:19 PM by Dez »

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 01:00:50 PM »
As a result, I had such a vpezalenie about the arrangement before the battle,

What an excellent word, I assume Ukrainian,  how is it pronounced? I'm guessing the meaning, and it seems very useful, especially when dealing with conflicting sources.

Offline Dez

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 01:29:29 PM »
I'm sorry, impression, of course! Has corrected.

Offline aphillathehun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 02:09:07 PM »

What a great looking game!  I love seeing all those mounted men-at-arms in the fight!

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 03:00:04 PM »
fantastic batrep  :-*
Commission Painting undertaken, PM or email me.

Offline Dez

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 03:26:16 PM »
Thank you! Given the specifics of the rules, the composition of the armies was as follows:

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 04:30:09 PM »
I'm sorry, impression, of course! Has corrected.

I'd have left it in! Its a great word.

Offline Dez

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2017, 06:14:35 PM »
 :D In Ukrainian it will be "vrajennya" (враження)... ;)