Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:14:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: scratchbuilding parameters  (Read 1434 times)

Offline secharles

• Bookworm
scratchbuilding parameters
« on: October 13, 2017, 06:55:02 AM »
more of a general hobby question, but it's helpful for a neophyte to get a grasp on the groundrules.

to wit: What is accepted scratchbuilding parameter?

I see projects in which a manufactured kit has a single cobbled element and the builder pouts he scratchbuilt it. I was under the impression something scratchbuilt would start with raw materials and then actually become something.

what say ye gamers?

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: scratchbuilding parameters
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 07:05:24 AM »
I agree with you. Scratch-built suggests "built from scratch." Changing part of something in a kit is not scratch-building, it is a conversion. Making a new thing entirely out of pieces from other kits is "kitbashing."

Scratch-building for me means building something entirely (or perhaps "mostly") from raw materials (i.e. not kit parts). But how exactly one defines "raw materials" isn't all that clear. I don't assume you have to smelt your own metal or chop down your own trees for it to count. Some finishing touches with commercial parts may or may not be allowed, I guess that depends on how much of a zealot one is.

Unless you are entering a competition that clearly specifies that all entries must be scratch-built, though, I don't think an absolute definition is really all that important. It isn't something I've ever given much thought to, until about three minutes ago.  :)

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 07:11:27 AM »
I would say there are three layers:

Modifying a kit with other items, either created, adapted, or 'scratched' - this is what is called kit-bashing in model railroading.

Then there is using commercially available products to create unique models with possibly some of the pieces 'scratched'.  This is legitimate scratch building but of a 'junior' level.

Journeyman scratch building is when all the pieces are original pieces of work without commercial pieces used.  This is a level of modeling that generally takes a mix of extraordinary skill and imagination and a very large amount of dedication - and can sometimes take a very long time to complete a project as a result.

Some achieve adequate results and others achieve pieces that are genuine works of art at each of the levels - though the latter tends to be the domain of exceptionally talented people.

Me?  I'm very glad there are people creating commercial models that can be readied for a game fairly quickly (die hard resin fan with no interest in MDF - saw article recently on TMP about mold effecting MDF, I have resin over thirty years old still going strong).

edit: Plynkes was typing faster than I was!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 07:13:25 AM by FifteensAway »

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 07:52:24 AM »
Yup scratch built I would say is all original (though suppose parts such as plastic corrugated sheeting for example would be permitted) ,

using existing models and modifying  etc I would say is a kitbash ;D

Offline duhamel

• Mastermind
  • voyageur
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 08:38:28 AM »
What does it matter?

If there was some competition somewhere then I'm sure the competition rules would outline the parameters.
But on a hobby site? Who cares.
I've never seen anyone 'pout' about what they've done. Why did you use that perjorative term? What does it matter to you how and what someone's done to build something?

There are no parameters because no one really cares. Get over it. Stop pouting.

what more can be said
“Le courage consiste à avoir peur mais à continuer tout de même.”

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" The courage consists in being afraid but in continuing all the same. \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"

Offline secharles

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 12:43:16 PM »
What does it matter?

If there was some competition somewhere then I'm sure the competition rules would outline the parameters.
But on a hobby site? Who cares.
I've never seen anyone 'pout' about what they've done. Why did you use that perjorative term? What does it matter to you how and what someone's done to build something?

There are no parameters because no one really cares. Get over it. Stop pouting.

could you rephrase the question?

Offline secharles

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 12:43:41 PM »

Offline secharles

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 12:45:55 PM »
...Changing part of something in a kit is not scratch-building, it is a conversion. Making a new thing entirely out of pieces from other kits is "kitbashing."...

helpful establishing a threshold of acceptable result

Offline secharles

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 12:47:31 PM »
I would say there are three layers...

... very glad there are people creating commercial models...

well defined. and i'm glad, too!

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 08:35:34 PM »
I use a variety of stock materials and consider my work scratchbuilds. 
Plain and embossed plasticard, plastic and brass tube, MDF, ali wire, etc.

I occasionally use commercial bits, usually crew, MG barrels and stowage for my personal stuff, but not if it's as a master for casting.

Offline Johnnytodd

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2017, 12:34:58 PM »
Good Question Secharles!

I second Rich H's ethos in my scratchbuilds : flat stock wood, plastic sheet, metal rod, green stuff, etc.   I too make use of other makers crew figures and machine guns.

See you on the next "Build Something" contest