Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:27:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691073
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 823
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Boots and Saddles - BLAM Report  (Read 32615 times)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Re: Boots and Saddles - Tepees
« Reply #90 on: January 25, 2018, 08:12:05 PM »
BTW: The new hill looks much better.
 :D ;)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #91 on: January 26, 2018, 08:25:47 AM »
Excellent stuff Gary, It's coming together nicely ;D
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #92 on: January 26, 2018, 11:31:17 AM »
Nice Teepees
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #93 on: January 26, 2018, 02:46:42 PM »
Don't forget that, although the initial Washita attack was brutally one-sided, the cavalry rapidly became bogged down during the mopping-up operation, as hundreds of warriors began to arrive from other camps further down the river (that Custer hadn't scouted out properly, surprise, surprise) and that eventually Custer was forced to withdraw (albeit in good order and apparently with band playing!), leaving Major Elliot and 19 troopers behind to be slaughtered by those newly-arriving Indians. Lots of potential for ruining Custer's day in the scenario... :D

It's all looking rather splendid by the way. Keep up the great work.  :)

Thanks very much.  My scenario has exactly that idea.  Initially only a small number of indians are on teh table with teh others arriving after a number of turns or when the cavalry cross the river, whichever is the sooner.  Hopefully by the time the cavalry commander has committed his men to the attack, the indians are on their way to do exactly that - spoil his day.  Points are given for the number of tepees burnt by teh cavalry and the number of indian bands dispersed. The indians score points by preventing the tepees being burnt and for every cavalry unit they force into a 'Last Stand'.

BTW: The new hill looks much better.
 :D ;)

Thanks.  :D More on the way.  8)

Excellent stuff Gary, It's coming together nicely ;D

Nice Teepees

Thanks guys.  Hopefully about Easter I will have the terrain boards finished, the rules polished and the figures all apinted.  Perhaps you would like to come and try a game?

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #94 on: January 26, 2018, 03:08:15 PM »

Thanks guys.  Hopefully about Easter I will have the terrain boards finished, the rules polished and the figures all apinted.  Perhaps you would like to come and try a game?

Would love to count Coup with my fellow braves ;) :)

Offline johnl5555

• Librarian
    • Wargamer Printing
« Reply #95 on: January 26, 2018, 11:15:35 PM »
  This is an AWESOME project!  :D Mine is mostly in 15/18mm. I use 12 man units and the rules Yellow Ribbon.  I have 10 or 12 companies painted. Plus about an equal or slightly larger number of Indians. Need to finish up some dismounted troopers. May try TMWBK too.

The Major Elliot disaster was something Benteen never forgave Custer for happening. Elliot had gone off when told to stay near the camp seeking glory. Indian resistance was building up and Custer decided to withdraw with his men and many captives.

Thanks.
Owner JS Wargamer Printing. 3D printing miniatures, buildings and terrain.
https://wargamerprinting.com/

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Boots and Saddles - Main boards started 04/02
« Reply #96 on: February 04, 2018, 04:02:36 PM »
  This is an AWESOME project!  :D

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Today I started making the main boards.  They are 25mm extruded foam glued onto a 12mm MDF backing.  I find this combination allows me to add and remove height as well as giving the boards a little heft to stop any chance of warping or movement when they are on the table.

The boards represent a fictious part of the western plains, around the Little Powder River.  You can see the river carved out of the boards. I have allowed a little kink in the river to allow either the river to run across the table but also allow a loop to run from top to bottom in a different configuration.

I am going to add some variation in height to the boards with a few low hills which will give it a little more realism. Then I can apply the major buttes along with scatter terrain and the whole thing should start coming together.

More piccies to follow.

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #97 on: February 04, 2018, 04:09:42 PM »
Off to a great start. Just a thought but what about a shallow area along one the the river straights that ranchers would use for watering cattle? You could even make it into a ford? Totally see if it would impact on gaming though.

Offline Peter

• Scientist
  • No place to run - no place to hide
« Reply #98 on: February 04, 2018, 04:23:54 PM »
Nice so far - I´m still following you

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #99 on: February 04, 2018, 04:31:03 PM »
A plea for your river: Please to make it green and brown, not blue.  It will look so much more realistic. 

I second maybe having a bit of a low spot along the river - both sides, though - for a crossing point.  Could also be used as place of refuge for a few men if covered with suitable brush (separate terrain pieces).  Such a small bit of terrain was used that way in many actual historical encounters so it would have lots of utility besides being a ford location.  Might also be a place for some poor soldier to either win a Medal of Honor getting water for his wounded comrades - or loose his life.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #100 on: February 04, 2018, 05:36:55 PM »
Excellent stuff Gary ;D

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #101 on: February 04, 2018, 05:44:29 PM »
Off to a great start. Just a thought but what about a shallow area along one the the river straights that ranchers would use for watering cattle? You could even make it into a ford? Totally see if it would impact on gaming though.

I second maybe having a bit of a low spot along the river - both sides, though - for a crossing point.  Could also be used as place of refuge for a few men if covered with suitable brush (separate terrain pieces).  Such a small bit of terrain was used that way in many actual historical encounters so it would have lots of utility besides being a ford location.  Might also be a place for some poor soldier to either win a Medal of Honor getting water for his wounded comrades - or loose his life.

Thanks to both of you.  I have actually added a crossing point in the river it just hasn't come out so well on the photos, given all that blue.  I might make it a little more prominent.  

I fully expect it to play a major part in the scenarios, either as an area around which the indian village is placed, a crossing point for the wagon train and pony express/stage scenario and yes even a watering hole for the cattle drive.

Nice so far - I´m still following you

Excellent stuff Gary ;D

Thank you.

A plea for your river: Please to make it green and brown, not blue.  It will look so much more realistic.  

I agree about the water colour.  I intend it to be similar to the rivers in either the Searchers, where the indians attack the Texas Rangers, or the one in She Wore a Yellow Ribbon where Lt Coghill makes a stand.  Probably a dirty muddy brown would fit both the idea and the terrain colours I am planning to use.

Oh and another piccie with added hills.

More to follow once I get back from my trip next week.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 05:46:31 PM by Hu Rhu »

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #102 on: February 04, 2018, 05:44:41 PM »
Judging from the systematical devotion and meticulous work on your previous projects, I deem it will be an extremely interesting thread to follow!
Cheers!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #103 on: February 04, 2018, 09:56:23 PM »
Excellent, this looks like it's going to be a long and interesting thread  :)

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #104 on: February 05, 2018, 03:17:26 PM »
Judging from the systematical devotion and meticulous work on your previous projects, I deem it will be an extremely interesting thread to follow!
Cheers!

Excellent, this looks like it's going to be a long and interesting thread  :)

Thank you both.  I hope the wait will be worth it in the end.  Nothing more until next weekend (cos I am abroad on work), when the rules get their first major try out and the boards get a good old going over with some rocks and stuff.