Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:12:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690603
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: AK47 Ztum-Setum Website  (Read 1128 times)

Offline Derek H

• Librarian
  • Derek H
AK47 Ztum-Setum Website
« on: October 12, 2017, 09:19:19 AM »
Back in the early 2000s I set up a website covering the Ztum-Setum campaign we were running at the South East Scotland wargames club using Peter Pig's  AK47 Republic rules for warlord level battles in post-war Africa.  

It was a real "state of the art 1990s" website and it fell into disrepair when we ran out of steam with the campaign and I moved on and started using blog platforms to chronicle my wargames activities.

Inspired by a game of "classic" AK47 I played in  a couple of weeks ago I've revamped the old Ztum-Setum website and put it back online at https://ak47ztumsetum.wordpress.com/

The main content on the site is articles about the factions involved and a Models Index with pictures of the models we used in the campaign.  But there's other useful stuff there including graphics that you can use to make casualty and pinned markers.  

The old Ztum-Setum Online News section, game reports from the campaign, is not there yet, but I might get round to transferring it over eventually.  

The inspiration doesn't stop there, I'm rebasing and updating all my old forces.  I'd forgotten just what a fun  game AK47 is.  
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 09:31:35 AM by Derek H »

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
Re: AK47 Ztum-Setum Website
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 10:12:35 AM »
Wow was it really as long ago as that? But right enough I think I moved North in about 2005 or so.
Makes me want to dust my AK47 stuff off.

Offline Derek H

• Librarian
  • Derek H
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 12:13:13 PM »
One of the factions in our campaign has these blokes fighting for them - naked religious nutters wearing nothing but skeleton warpaint and carrying AK47s.

The paint job was inspired by my memory of some old film (possibly black and white) in which the valiant heros (or hero singular) were assailed by hordes of natives dressed similarly, but carrying spears rather than AKs. I thought it was a Tarzan, King Solomons Mines or some sort of Lost World film , but having spent ages on Google I can't establish which film I'm remembering (or mis-remembering). Can anyone here help?

Offline georgec

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 10:33:25 PM »
Fantastic to see Ztum-Setum back, a great inspiration.

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 01:46:59 AM »
Awesome to see this back! I remember it being an inspiration for my getting into modern Africa games so many years ago. Thanks for taking the time to re-upload this...

Mike Demana
www.firstcommandwargames.com
http://leadlegionaries.blogspot.com/

Offline Derek H

• Librarian
  • Derek H
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 05:53:55 AM »
Thanks for the kind words.  The response here and elsewhere has been most gratifying.

Six issues of Ztum-Setum Online News uploaded this morning.  And there will be another issue every Friday for the next fourteen weeks.  https://ak47ztumsetum.wordpress.com/category/news/
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 07:19:37 AM by Derek H »

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 08:25:09 AM »
This game seems to have gone off the radar a tad. I can remember it being all the rage, and I was very tempted to give it a go. Something about the campaign element seemed very appealing, even to someone that wasn't initially all that interested in gaming modern African conflicts. Never got around to trying it for one reason or another. I must have a good look at your site, perhaps I'll be tempted again.

My mind is a bit blank on your film question. I seem to remember a sequence from the Young Indiana Jones TV series where Indy gets chased by a bunch of native tribesman, and in my mind they had stripey white war paint, but my memory might be playing me false there. Struggling to think of anything else.

The 1980s version of "King Solomon's Mines" (the one with Richard Chamberlain and Sharon Stone) or perhaps its even more obscure sequel (with James Earl Jones) had some natives with skull-face make-up, but I can't remember if there was a battle with them or not. Speaking of Sharon Stone, all the movie versions of that story have a white love interest character tag along, a character not present in the book. The love interest in the book was a native black woman. In a book written in 1885. Yet none of the the 20th Century movie versions were able to countenance including this. I think in some ways we've gone backwards.  ::)

Sorry, wandered off the point there. Looking forward to discovering the story of your republic. :)

Edited for improper use of an apostrophe.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 08:30:32 AM by Plynkes »
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Derek H

• Librarian
  • Derek H
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 05:13:19 PM »
Someone on Frothers found a candidate for the film for me. 

Lost World (1992 TV remake)
Trailer on YouTube at
Skeleton Warriors at 1min 35sec. 

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 05:35:25 PM »
Ah, well done, Frothers.

You know, I've seen that, but I don't remember half the stuff in that trailer. Old age creeping up on me, I suppose.

Online has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 06:50:16 PM »
For those who have not played AK47, I recomend you give it a go, even if you just cut out the base shapes out of a bit of card & write on what they are, you will have a good time. If you get thrashed it was the fault of those tanks/mortars/trucks etc. etc. arriving late. It was nothing to do with your generalship, honest. Just don't play with any 'rules lawyers.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 08:52:30 AM »
I rember pooring over the Ztum-setum web set years ago, trying to find ideas to steal. Thinks for bringing it up to date.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline pacarat

• Mad Scientist
    • pacarat.blogspot.com
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2017, 05:08:47 AM »
I rember pooring over the Ztum-setum web set years ago, trying to find ideas to steal. Thinks for bringing it up to date.

I did the same when I first started up my AK47 collction.

Offline Derek H

• Librarian
  • Derek H
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2017, 05:40:19 AM »
For those who have not played AK47, I recomend you give it a go, even if you just cut out the base shapes out of a bit of card & write on what they are, you will have a good time. If you get thrashed it was the fault of those tanks/mortars/trucks etc. etc. arriving late. It was nothing to do with your generalship, honest. Just don't play with any 'rules lawyers.

Wise advice. 

And don't play with highly competitive types either.  They'll get extremely upset when their carefully minimaxed force gets hammered into the ground after less than half of them turn up to fight a thrown together collection of reprobates who have been extremely lucky with their political maneouvering.