Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:40:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690808
  • Total Topics: 118351
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: aliexpress finds.  (Read 22063 times)

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
Re: aliexpress finds.
« Reply #105 on: March 28, 2018, 07:18:56 PM »
Hum, they look definitely too small, probably more suited for 20mm. At least, if you want to have realistic proportions.

People (not counting base) should not reach the window level with their head. But i guess that with some additional base (or in the background?) the truck would work fine! :)

Cheers
Jack

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #106 on: March 29, 2018, 01:49:36 AM »
Hum, they look definitely too small, probably more suited for 20mm. At least, if you want to have realistic proportions.

People (not counting base) should not reach the window level with their head. But i guess that with some additional base (or in the background?) the truck would work fine! :)

Cheers
Jack

I disagree.
You're comparing the truck to a full-size semi. Clearly it's not an exact representation of a particular prototype but I think it should instead be compared to a small or mid-size (or whatever the terms are) COE truck.   

As you say, without his base, the top of the figure's head would come to the level of the window.

Compare it then to the very common Mitsubishi Fuso which comes in a wide variety of configurations and a couple different sizes.

The toy falls right in between the comparative size of these two trucks. I assure you there are alot of COE's that are of sizes and proportions that would make this toy suitably sized for 28mm'ish gaming.  Also it would absolutely tower over a 20mm figure.

I will say though that the cab may be a bit small for the cement mixer variant which is a type of truck usually paired with a larger engine and cab.

One more pic.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 02:06:18 AM by eilif »

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #107 on: March 29, 2018, 09:21:16 AM »
Fair point indeed. When i look at the toys i can't manage to compare them with the smaller examples you provided, but i guess it's just me. It's probably the cement mixer that makes me think that. ^^

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #108 on: March 29, 2018, 10:59:49 AM »
Yeah; to me, the models are all representations of large, European style trucks, as opposed to smaller Asian urban lorries. The different loadouts/configurations support that, and also the look of the cabs, wheels, bicycle catchers etc. Over here (at least), trucks with those loadouts would all be based on full sized chassis. The grilles of the trucks also all scream Scania, Mercedes or Volvo to me.

So for me as well, the vehicles are too small for their intended purposes when compared to 28mm miniatures.

Which is not to say thay're not nice models and would not have their uses of course :)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #109 on: March 29, 2018, 02:39:56 PM »
Probably a matter off geography as much as anything.  I think we're each comparing them to what we see most day to day.

On this side of the pond we have few if any length limits.  The result is that we have almost no COE semi trucks but lots of small and mid sized box trucks and flats.  Especially here in the city they seem to be everywhere.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 03:10:18 PM by eilif »

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #110 on: March 29, 2018, 03:48:02 PM »
One more thing about these cheap trucks that I find really annoying is that the middle wheel has a pull-back motor. It appears to be the same complete unit (including tires) that they put on cars and the tires are different from the front and back wheels of the truck.

The wheels can be swapped with the front after you remove the motor, cut away the gear that's attached to the axle and remove one wheel each on the front and mid trucks. Looks alot better this way, though at some point I might shorten the chassis and make it a 4 wheel vehicle so there isn't the weird gap between the cab and tank/container.

Also, at this point I don't think it will change anyone's mind regarding scale, but here it is raised to the level of a fairly-true-28mm figure, a Warlord games Brit with pig iron head.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #111 on: March 30, 2018, 08:14:40 AM »
That is a bit of a speedbump, yes.

Although it might be easier to create some sort of utility/storage/equipment/pump 'box' between the cab and tank. Those are pretty common, and would be easier to do than cutting up the entire vehicle. You never know what can of worms you'll be opening with that after all... ::)

And when raised to the same level as a miniature, the vehicle is indeed looking fine as a smaller asian style lorry! :)

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #112 on: March 30, 2018, 08:40:04 PM »
That is a bit of a speedbump, yes.

Although it might be easier to create some sort of utility/storage/equipment/pump 'box' between the cab and tank. Those are pretty common, and would be easier to do than cutting up the entire vehicle. You never know what can of worms you'll be opening with that after all... ::)

And when raised to the same level as a miniature, the vehicle is indeed looking fine as a smaller asian style lorry! :)

That makes sense.  These are just going to be terrain for a near/future or sci-fi layout so I don't want to spend too much time on them.
 Looking at it now I think I may just get a bit of plascard and put a platform there.  If I do a bit of triming I think there's enough room for a 25mm base to balance up there which would be nice for skirmish games.

The only other thing I might do is put a piece of plascard over the grill to suggest a method of propulsion other than I.C.E. and maybe a bit along the sides to smooth it out a bit.

The plan for next year's Mech Attack board is to add alot of civilian vehicles and sidewalks to the city.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #113 on: April 10, 2018, 08:00:43 PM »
The other two Ali Express Garbage trucks came in, though I actually got these from Ebay for about $3.80 shipped each!  Comparison fig is a plastic Warlord Games British trooper with West Wind Games head

On the big dumpster truck the crane is actually pretty impressive. A bunch of working pistons and a boom that extends to double length.

The dumpster doesn't remove without unscrewing the bottom.  However, the dumpster is perfectly sized for 28mm and has opening doors.

Even if someone hates the truck itself,  it's probably worth the price just for the dumpster and crane.

The smaller dumpster truck is nice too, but the proportion of truck vs dumpster seems a little off as though the truck should be smaller or the dumpster bigger.

The Dumpster boom/support allows it to be lowered to the ground.

Another good truck. I'm probably make the dumpster removeable which shouldn't be difficult.  Very happy with both of these, though both will probably get the front and mid wheel swap that I did for the one I pruchased earlier.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #114 on: April 11, 2018, 04:24:43 AM »
Nice size I reckon. I don't like the dumpster hooks though.
Thanks

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #115 on: April 14, 2018, 07:03:38 PM »

I've just ordered the chap above from Aliexpress, for the very reasonable price of £28 (shipped surface mail).  Payment was by PayPal.

The figure is about the same size as the GW Primaris Redemptor Dreadnought (16cm or 6" tall), and about the same price as the easy build version.  It is painted, however, and fully articulated.  There was a warning on the listing that there were not perfect and may have small flaws.

I don't expect to see this fella before June of this year, but I'll report on how I get on with the purchase.

Search on "Joy Toy 1:27" for a range of military figures and mechs.  And thanks for Barzam on Dakka for the heads-up!

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #116 on: April 16, 2018, 10:55:19 PM »
Very cool.  I've been seeing that brand of mecha and such for a while now.   I'll be looking forward to reading your report on it.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #117 on: April 17, 2018, 02:55:11 AM »
There are also some things that look like GW dreads from the same company.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #118 on: April 18, 2018, 08:19:40 AM »
Frak; that's a bit nice, isn't it?

As heavy support for my generic scifi troopers, I had been thinking of getting me that big Tau stealth mech, but its rounded shape didn't quite gel with the look of the troopers (old-school Warzone Capitol).

But this one looks just about perfect! Thanks for posting; I'm going to check it out... 8)

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #119 on: April 18, 2018, 09:43:31 AM »
Pretty cool, but for that price, you could also get some rather nice gundam kits.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)