Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:57:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: BRDM-2 SPAAG  (Read 1207 times)

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
BRDM-2 SPAAG
« on: October 17, 2017, 10:53:18 PM »

Whilst I'm waiting on postal orders to turn up so I can get around to working on my forces, I had a go at throwing together a SPAAG for some generic Eastern European forces.

This one's a HLBS 1/48th BRDM-2 with a Spectre Miniatures ZU-23 (1/50th). Ace's ZU-23's nicer, but well I had an order with Spectre already.

I threw on some slat armour to give it a bit more survivability. Its not military grade obviously, but well looks good enough for some militia (I don't think anyone makes brass etched slat armour for 28mm stuff unfortunately). The stowage comes from a mix of manufacturers. Sandbags by Renedra, the cardboard box is by Skytrex, wood boxes, jerry cans and tarps by Die Waffenkammer, backpacks from HLBS and beer bottles/ coke can and ammo belt by Tabletop Art Shops (the scenery thread in the PA board helped a lot).

You'll maybe remember the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. thread which I had in the PA board a while back. I'll be using some of that stuff for irregular forces, along with the terrain for modern games. The plan's to put together a Russian, Ukrainian, and generic militia platoon for a few games. Right now I'm mostly working on the terrain to expand out the village set I already have (at the moment that's including a petrol station, cafe and some workshops). Seeing as this thing's finished I may as well post it, and then make a proper thread once I've made some progress on the rest of the stuff. ...Unless you're into messy WIPs? ;)

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: BRDM-2 SPAAG
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 11:27:50 PM »
Very cool.
Love how you have "dressed up" the BRDM.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 08:41:09 AM »
That is nice.

I wish someone did shopping trolley armour in this scale, yours is excellent.

Maybe that will inspire me to dig out the Sloppy Jalopy one I bought at Salute in Olympia way back when.

Definitely suited to Twilight 2000, I assume slat armour would have been retrofitted once the vulnerability became apparent (of course back in the late 'eighties western writers were not so aware of the problem hence no mention in the rules).

Offline Ragsta

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 11:34:21 AM »

Yup, that's really nice, chap.

I have a strange soft spot for BRDMs, the little extras on this one are really excellent. Well done.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 02:18:26 PM »
Aye, the intent right now's to leave slat armour off any modern vehicles I make, though anything earlier is likely to receive it just to tat it up a bit. Rusty bars on the side of a vehicle, along with all the other crap (and beer bottles) emphasise forces fighting in less than idea situations.

The BMP-2 and MT-LB which I ordered from Empress for my Ukrainians showed up today as well, so I suspect they'll be receiving a similar treatment (probably only the front of the MT-LB will have bars - don't want to go overboard). :)