Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:32:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691123
  • Total Topics: 118375
  • Online Today: 905
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Morgoth was a miser.  (Read 2104 times)

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
Morgoth was a miser.
« on: November 18, 2017, 06:05:52 AM »
Few people know that Morgoth was not only evil, but also a cheap b*$^@%d......

After not gaming for about a year and not having painted for even longer I have decided to do not one but two projects.
One is a Silmarilion project for Dragon Rampant. 
With suggestions of using a Schleich dragon for Glaurung, I got to thinking about the now unused Papo figures my daughter has.
So rather than paying for a metal, resin or fancy multipart, multipose plastic miniature, I have taken a knife to a poor, innocent Papo figure, given it a new paint job and have turned him into Morgoth.  Still needs some basing and  Silmarils added to his helmet.  But here he is so far, with a size comparison with a standard 28mm model.  The  axe might eventually be replaced by a hammer, Grond.

Online Sunjester

• Mastermind
Re: Morgoth was a miser.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 07:11:43 AM »
Nice!

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 07:32:00 AM »
Very nice work on that. Was that the original head? It is great!

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 07:49:53 AM »
Original miniature (my daughter's was painted a little darker - dark grey and brown with bronze and iron armour).

My painting was very simple.  I think this suits Morgoth, but then, all my future painting is planned to be quick and simple.

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 10:15:32 AM »
That’s about as good a Morgoth as anyone’s ever likely to make. Very nice. You definitely need to give him Grond though.

Offline Severian

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 01:50:00 PM »
Nicely done!

Another vote for Grond.

What were you thinking to do for the Silmarils? And three of them or two? I suppose for the Fingolfin fight you'd certainly want three, but perhaps one of them might be easily removable...

Curious how you'd stat him for Dragon Rampant.

Very intriguing project all round - keep us posted.

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 05:40:48 PM »
Nicely done!

Another vote for Grond.

What were you thinking to do for the Silmarils? And three of them or two? I suppose for the Fingolfin fight you'd certainly want three, but perhaps one of them might be easily removable...

Curious how you'd stat him for Dragon Rampant.

Very intriguing project all round - keep us posted.

If Morgoth had only two Silmarils then he would only need one foot (I could use some rare earth magnets and have a detachable foot if I was going to be pedantic). 
I thought I might look at those little adhesive gemstones that kids use to decorate cards (and rooms, themselves etc).

As far as stats for Dragon Rampant, that is a hard one. I suppose he might just be a figure to have , rather than play - a bit like the Imperial Guard in Napoleonic gaming.

He might be:
Elite Foot.  Venomous.  Fear.  Mystical Armour.  Wizardling.  Total of 15 points. 
Even then I don't really think this would be adequate, but there are not enough official rules for him.  Some custom made rules will be needed.

Offline Severian

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2017, 06:06:20 PM »
Yes, he might be a little unbalancing to the game!

But then again Fingolfin and the Noldor generally would need to be fairly formidable, particularly in the earlier battles when the light of the West was still bright in their eyes (and so on). I vaguely remember there being a thread discussing these sorts of things a couple of years back.

I'm not sure about the foot thing; the text says he "went ever halt of one foot after that day", and I'm pretty sure "halt" means "lame" rather than "lacking".

But now I think I'm being pedantic. When I first read the book (thirty odd years ago now) I certainly took this as being a foot-lopping. It would be fun to have him with a detachable foot (though perhaps not wholly practical...)

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 09:39:30 AM »
I think you would have to adapt the Dragon Rampant stats so it became more like OGRE.  So he is the equivalent of an entire retinue (perhaps more) in his own right.

Maybe something like Elite foot wizard with fear, venomous and mystical armour who is unfeeling.  Once he has lost all his strength points a Silmaril has been prized from his helmet and he is reduced to a single model offensive heavy foot unit with wizardling powers.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 10:13:15 PM »
Looks great - and great ideas for DR rules above.

Building on jon's OGRE suggestion, you could give him double or even triple strength points - with a huge number of attack and defence dice to match. So, if you made him triple-strength elite foot, he'd roll 36 dice and typically score 24 hits in attack - enough to wipe out an entire unit of elite foot or riders in a single onslaught. You wouldn't even need to bother with venomous.

But he'd still be vulnerable - that elite foot unit might succumb to the attack, but still cause (on average) a strength point of damage before vanishing. And after he's lost three strength points, he goes down to 30 dice, and so on. And if you threw a unit of elite or bellicose foot at him, you'd probably cost him a couple of strength points a time. Then there are archers ...

One thing we've found in our recent DR games is that attrition wears down even the best unit fairly quickly - and especially if they're subjected to multiple attacks. So, as long as you were prepared to confront Morgoth with huge numbers of opposing units, you could really amp up his strength points, in the knowledge that they could in time be worn down significantly.

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2017, 07:23:42 AM »
Here's my attempt at finishing Morgoth with a base.  It is meant to represent the ground that has been pitted and torn by Grond as Morgoth attempts to crush Fingolfin.  I still need Grond. The fire effects in the pits could be better, but I am happy and I am not willing to try to have fire reflecting off his armour.

Offline Legion1963

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2017, 07:53:16 AM »
Indeed. What an excellent idea. And yes the axe needs to replaced. ;-)