Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:38:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686647
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Kickstarter- Gnomes by Midlam miniatures  (Read 1704 times)

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
Kickstarter- Gnomes by Midlam miniatures
« on: October 20, 2017, 09:44:26 PM »
Midlam have been doing some great small fantasy Kickstarter lately and their 7th one has just began.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1662635043/common-or-garden-gnomes/description

I have no use for these. But I should get some anyway right? You never know.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Re: Kickstarter- Gnomes by Midlam miniatures
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 10:07:16 PM »
Now that's a crying shame. I was hoping for some actual good old-fashioned fantasy Gnomes - as in, small mining versions of dwarves (but without moustache). I can appreciate the humorous aspect of the garden gnome stylie, but I'm a little sad not to see some of the those big-nosey types from the first WFB.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 09:54:59 AM »
A Gnome model that is 28mm head to toe is fine.............. if you game in 1/32nd scale.

Great ideas for characters but talk about scale creep

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 11:06:54 AM »
A Gnome model that is 28mm head to toe is fine.............. if you game in 1/32nd scale.

Great ideas for characters but talk about scale creep

I assumed 28mm scale (size surely?) gnomes wouldn't be 28mm in height themselves but much smaller. However it does say 28mm from head to feet in the pictures which seems like a weird choice unless it's a mistake.  
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 09:41:01 PM by Diablo Jon »

Offline boneio

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 12:42:02 PM »
Yes, I love midlam miniatures (my winter adventures pledge arrived today!), but I've no interest in garden gnomes. I know midlam's approach is slightly tongue in cheek but these are too much on the daft side for me.

That said I wish them every success, they're just not for me.

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 12:49:55 PM »
Also was in on the winter adventurers, also arrived today.

however, this is one thats a miss for me, enjoyed several of their very nice KS's and I am sure this will be to, but they are not for me.

Wish them total success with it though and look forward to what they do next.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 07:45:39 PM »
I might have been interested in some very short ones. but between 25mm-28mm this doesn't do it for me. I've been happy with all my midlam stuff though so I'm sure the quality will be good.

Offline ChaosChild

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2017, 08:57:31 PM »
Do the quoted sizes include the hat?

Offline Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2017, 09:08:59 PM »
Tough crowd today. I think a lot of frothers must have migrated here.  :'(

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2017, 03:36:59 PM »
If I was trying to sell a product, I'd like honest feedback instead of empty sycophantic words that don't translate into sales. I extend the same courtesy to anyone else trying to sell a product. This way, should the seller wish to know why they're not getting my business and what they have to do to get that business, all they need do is read this thread. Many companies spend thousands of pounds trying to gather customer feedback; here it's free.

Plus, this is a room where people are allowed to comment honestly. It's not a kiddies' finger painting contest, we can say what we like in the knowledge that we're all grown-ups.

Offline Samnite308

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2017, 08:52:31 AM »
It never hurts to be nice or polite though.  The trouble is negative comments are usually highly subjective and not an accurate indicator of selling potential (if that's your objective). Your preference for 'good old fashioned gnomes - as in small mining dwarves' has little to do with the miniatures at hand.  Midlam have produced a set of 13 well sculpted Garden variety gnomes, the poses are good, theres lots of detail and the price for these figures is quite reasonable.  I especially like the inclusion of several female characters.  The height of these gnomes might be a bit larger than normal, but it would be nice to see what they look like next to a standard 28mm human or dwarf.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2017, 09:00:53 AM »
Well I'm a pretty nice and polite guy, so I'm confident my comment was okay in that department. My purpose wasn't to objectively critique from a sales potential point of view, since I'm not really equipped to do that, more like I give my own opinion (which is the point of this board, surely) and the seller can make what use of that they may.

If a lot of personal opinions seem to coincide, they have something to consider. If not, they can disregard my opinion as that of a swivel-eyed loon.

I think, if anything, that this thread demonstrates just how dangerous and divisive gnomes can be. Global politics, sport and religion pale into insignificance next to the power of garden gnomes to divide humanity into a squalling pile of biting, scratching and yes, even defecating savages.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 10:57:59 AM by Cubs »

Offline Brummie Thug

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Brummies Wargaming Blog
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 08:29:04 PM »
TBH I would love for some proper sized Gnomes such as those from Otherworld.

Offline Captain Gamma

• Mad Scientist
    • https://killerbgames.co.uk/
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2017, 09:19:26 PM »
You can see from the photo comparison on the Kickstarter page that these fine fellows are NOT 28mm tall. They are the same height as the 28mm SCALE halflings so they are indeed little folk.

I think they look great.
"Morning!"

Offline The Gray Ghost

• Mastermind
  • Beware The Gray Ghost
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2017, 10:22:32 PM »
I'm looking forward to getting these to add to my Mushroom Kingdom where they will protect gardens from witches spells and wood trolls. I really like the style of their sculpting and if they do turn out to be 28mm I'll just make them alpine dwarves.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 10:33:11 PM by The Gray Ghost »
I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it anymore and what is it seems weird and scary.