Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:44:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691078
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Captain Blood's very titchy (15mm) barbarians. A primeval menagerie! (P18)  (Read 37923 times)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Interesting and informative   :-*

As an aside, I have previously had an issue with hot glue softening in high summer heat then cooling and hardening with a freshly introduced warp. I can’t see that happening with your boards as the component parts are either substantive or layered.  8)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
I like this, I like this a lot.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
A great project. Yeah, 15mm allows for terrain goodness like that. Imagine all that on a 28mm table. It just wouldn't work as convincingly. Very nice job, and thanks for sharing the process with us!

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
Very impressive terrain work. The use of the theatre off casts is quite inspired.

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
Very nice terrain you are building!
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
'Tis shaping up nicely, sir.
 :)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Thanks lads  :)
Hope to get some more done today...

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
Looking great :-* :-* :-*
The stone circle is a lovely touch just need to make sure no sexy English woman travel through it :D

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
Good work, sir. Good work.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Thanks Jaye :)

Looking great :-* :-* :-*
The stone circle is a lovely touch just need to make sure no sexy English woman travel through it :D

lol Thanks Colin.
She's amazing isn't she? Considering she's actually Irish, her English accent is so lovely...
Mind you, I couldn't get on with the second and subsequent seasons.

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
She is still cracking in all the other series as well, is it season 4 now?

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
Cool stuff!

Offline Matakakea

• Scientist
That stone circle is one of the few terrain pieces I've actually finished. I look forward to seeing your take on it.
I'm not a mercenary. Killing's more of a hobby for me.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Thank you :)

I've now completed the build of my 15mm Cimmerian village.

This has ended up being a bit of a compromise between form (I wanted a Chysauster-style enclosed settlement) and function / playability (where you need to allow some ways in and out!) Hopefully the end result achieves the look of the former whilst also facilitating the latter...

Having started with the turf-roofed, stone beehive huts from Forged in Battle (mounted at various levels, per the preceding post) thus...

I then infilled between some of the huts with outbuildings and walls made from small pieces of styrofoam, to create the kind of clusters that are characteristic of Iron Age (and earlier) settlements. I inscribed stone patterning with a sharp point, and roofed the new parts with turf made from Green Stuff. These were then given a good slap of PVA to seal them - because spray primer melts styrofoam!

I'll be honest, this was a tricky job because of the small scale. It's hard to cut such small pieces of foam to the shape you want using a hot wire cutter, especially when aiming for rough, organic forms. It's also hard to inscribe such small marks on the porous surface of the foam and keep them looking right.

Having decided not to surround the whole thing (as originally planned) with stone walls and enclosures, I thought it looked a bit under-defended, so I then started adding palisades and gates cut from cocktail sticks and bamboo barbecue skewers (to give different girth stakes for a less uniform look - these are barbarians after all, not civil engineers... )

Then onto the detailing... Quite a lot of this is focused on the chieftain's hut, because hey - every scene needs a focal point.
First up, I sculpted a trophy bear pelt out of Green Stuff to adorn his roof.
I also added a couple of metal shields and a reindeer skull standard, cut from duplicates of various of the 15mm Copplestone figures.

I was going to carry on and add all sorts of other detailing... Dung heap! Pots and jars! Spear rack! Drying animal skins on stretching frames! I've seen Conan The Barbarian. I know what they have in Cimmerian villages...
Then I decided that in this titchy scale, there's going to be precious little room left for figures if I chuck in so much set dressing, so decided to quit while I was ahead instead.

I think it'll do...

Of course it looks decidedly messy when you can see all the different materials used to bodge the thing together.

But Lo!

Observe how it all comes together under a nice unifying coat of grey primer :D

All of a sudden, it starts to look more like a proper model, right? ;)

And here it is in situ on the original terrain board, sat behind its ditch, bank and outer palisade...

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Coming together nicely. :-*
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing