Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:19:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Captain Blood's very titchy (15mm) barbarians. A primeval menagerie! (P18)  (Read 37891 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Captain Blood's very titchy (15mm) barbarians. Mountains painted (P14)
« Reply #225 on: December 27, 2019, 02:52:54 PM »
Okay, so here's the finished product - the Pictish Wilderness in 15mm  :)

It started life like this...

Then went through several stages like this...

This...

And this...

And now, with all the 'greening' completed, it's ended up like this...

A few close-ups... You can see I've used quite a mix of different flock, scatter, tufts, scrub and bushy materials...

With a few Copplestone Barbarica figures for scale / practicality purposes...

It starts to take on a slightly different character once you add trees... These are just spiked in...

And although it's scaled for 15mm by design, it will still work with all my other boards in my more usual 28mm scale... Might finally get round to my long-planned 'Lorna Doone' game... Could be Exmoor, right? ;)

Or even (slightly ridiculously)...

lol

Now all I need to do is paint about another 60 weeny figures plus assorted primeval wildlife (:o :o :o), finalise the rules, and then I can start running games on it :)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
 Lovely.  :-*

Lorna Doone sounds great - I have a few minis painted for such a project  8)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
Wow, so realistic. :-*

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
Byou.Tee. Full.

Offline gibby64

• Mad Scientist
  • Temple of the West
    • Temple of the West
Job well done sir... when can we come play??
Owner, Temple of the West
www.TempleWest.co

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
Man, that is just a really phenomenal outcome. I know you said you spiked the trees in, but are they fixed in place or removable? I've been kicking around a system which would allow me to put trees in place with just some blue tack. Basically a tube in the board that the tree would spike into so that they could be remove if I desired. Or moved around at least. Curious how this was done.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Man, that is just a really phenomenal outcome. I know you said you spiked the trees in, but are they fixed in place or removable? I've been kicking around a system which would allow me to put trees in place with just some blue tack. Basically a tube in the board that the tree would spike into so that they could be remove if I desired. Or moved around at least. Curious how this was done.

Thank you :)
Please forgive me for quoting from my explanation in response to the same question on one of my other threads a couple of weeks back...

No, they're just spiked in.
Drill the tree trunk out by a couple of cm, insert (and superglue in place) a length of 'spear' wire (or even just a decapitated pin for small trees), and hey presto - jab them into the styrofoam terrain boards wherever you want them. This works perfectly with Woodland Scenics plastic trees - of which I have lots. As long as you can get a fine drill up through the tree trunk, you're away. But this wouldn't work with wire bottle brush type trees. Or not easily at any rate.

To answer your next question (:)) yes, you do eventually end up with a squillion tiny holes all over your terrain, but a/ I tend to reuse the same holes repeatedly, b/ they're almost invisible anyway (unless you're looking for them), and c/ if a hole gets too 'loose' or visually obtrusive, I just fill it in with a tiny dab of groundwork paste and retouch the paintwork, or stick a bit of foliage over it.

The slight disbenefits of having tiny pinholes in parts of the terrain (obviously this technique doesn't work on the hillsides where I've built them up with a substrata of rock-hard wall filler) are greatly outweighed by the benefits of being able to plant a forest, copse, orchard or a lone tree wherever you want to. And have them look like they're growing, rather than on ugly bases.

Clearly this technique is only any good on foam terrain boards, not MDF etc!  ;)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
Cracking photos Richard ... very jealous

:)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Top job  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
Cracking job :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
That’s a lovely miniature wilderness. Fantastic.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Bleedin' gorgeous!
 :-* :-*

All the different types of flock and scatter really make a difference and add even more realism.
Superb!
 :)

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
I love beautiful terrain boards in general, but a meandering river makes me happy, and a brown water meandering river makes me really happy, and a brown water meandering river with a pebbly ford makes me really really happy.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
Totesamazeballs  :-* :-* :-*
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
How do you do the water effect on your rivers?

Some fancy pour-on product, or just gloss varnish?