Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:12:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Just played our first game of FG - We have a lot of rules questions!  (Read 1721 times)

Offline Ozreth

• Bookworm
A friend and I just played our first game of Frostgrave and had a really good time, but walked away with a handful of questions. Any help answering these would be appreciated.

1. Movement -
A. Book says to measure by "ground covered". So say I'm on one side of a short (half my height), L shaped wall. If I want to move 6 inches on the other side of the wall. I have to measure along or around the L shape, not just from the point I'm standing to the point I want to be, correct? I know this sounds silly and I assume I have to measure each twist/turn I take, but the wording is a little blurry.
B. Is moving up and down stairs considered climbing or is movement calculated regularly?
C. If you are going to walk up to a wall and climb it, do you measure the distance from your miniature to the base of what you're climbing, or do you measure the horizontal distance to the wall and then the vertical distance up the wall (at 1/2 speed)?

2. Teleporting -
A: Say my wizard is really far away from anyone in my warband. It's wizard phase, I cast teleport and land near a few members of the warband. Can they then activate if they are now within 3"? If I start near them, and teleport away, can they also still activate?
B: This is probably obvious, but teleporting away from an enemy cannot force combat, correct?

3. Melee- You have to be base to base, correct? And if you are within 1" you can force combat and you then move base to base, correct?

5. Ranged attacks -
A:Say it's archer vs. archer, does the defending archer shoot back if they win the combat role, or does the shot just miss them? What if it'
B: Say it's a thief hitting an archer with a dagger, does the archer shoot back if it wins combat? Or does the archer defend itself with it's dagger?

6. Mind Control - Say my opponent mind controls my thug. Can my opponent then use my thug to attack members of his own warband? Who does the rolling for the attack on my thug?

7. Some recruits, such as the Infantrymen, have two handed weapons which attack at +2. Is this calculated into their Fight score already?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Offline Psychlic Bob

• Bookworm
Re: Just played our first game of FG - We have a lot of rules questions!
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 07:03:52 AM »
A friend and I just played our first game of Frostgrave and had a really good time, but walked away with a handful of questions. Any help answering these would be appreciated.

1. Movement -
A. Book says to measure by "ground covered". So say I'm on one side of a short (half my height), L shaped wall. If I want to move 6 inches on the other side of the wall. I have to measure along or around the L shape, not just from the point I'm standing to the point I want to be, correct? I know this sounds silly and I assume I have to measure each twist/turn I take, but the wording is a little blurry.
B. Is moving up and down stairs considered climbing or is movement calculated regularly?
C. If you are going to walk up to a wall and climb it, do you measure the distance from your miniature to the base of what you're climbing, or do you measure the horizontal distance to the wall and then the vertical distance up the wall (at 1/2 speed)?

2. Teleporting -
A: Say my wizard is really far away from anyone in my warband. It's wizard phase, I cast teleport and land near a few members of the warband. Can they then activate if they are now within 3"? If I start near them, and teleport away, can they also still activate?
B: This is probably obvious, but teleporting away from an enemy cannot force combat, correct?

3. Melee- You have to be base to base, correct? And if you are within 1" you can force combat and you then move base to base, correct?

5. Ranged attacks -
A:Say it's archer vs. archer, does the defending archer shoot back if they win the combat role, or does the shot just miss them? What if it'
B: Say it's a thief hitting an archer with a dagger, does the archer shoot back if it wins combat? Or does the archer defend itself with it's dagger?

6. Mind Control - Say my opponent mind controls my thug. Can my opponent then use my thug to attack members of his own warband? Who does the rolling for the attack on my thug?

7. Some recruits, such as the Infantrymen, have two handed weapons which attack at +2. Is this calculated into their Fight score already?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Will try and answer these but others may clarify :-)

1. A/ Yes B/ We decide between ourselves at the start of a game what terrain does C/ Move along the ground is normal then 1/2 when climbing starts
2. A/ To activate them they must start within 3" B/ Yes
3. You "lock" an opponent in place and then one of you has to use an Action to initiate combat base-to-base
4. Is this about the Invisibility spell? ;-)
5. A/ Defending archer uses his Fight to dodge the attack, does not shoot back B/ Archer uses his dagger (-1 DAM) and his Fight
6. A Mind Controlled figure becomes part of the casters warband in all ways (can take treasure off, fight etc). The controlling player rolls as it is now part of their warband until the end of the game (then returns to original warband for the next game)
7. All factors unless stated are in the Fight already (eg Treasure Hunter's +1 for Hand Weapon and Dagger combo). The 2-handed Weapon gives +2 Damage not Fight

Hope this helps but happy to be enlightened myself

Have fun is all you need to do!

Offline Ozreth

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 02:12:42 PM »
That was all very helpful, thank you! I don't know what happened to number 4 but I'll look at my notes again when I get home to see if I missed anything.

One more thing (and I'm sure more to come): I know that moving within 1" of an enemy can cause them to force combat. Does moving away count as well? Or am I thinking too much in D&D terms?

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 03:14:16 PM »
Yes, any movement that takes place within 1" can force a combat. If you start less than 1" away, and begin to move they can force combat immediately.

Offline Darkson71

• Mad Scientist
  • Rolling 1s so you don't have to since '95
    • Home of the ARBBL
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 07:30:36 AM »
The only movement within 1" that stops someone from forcing combat is the "push back" rule - if you push someone back (or yourself) you can then move away without the opponent re-engaging.

And just to be sure, you have seen the sticky rules thread/FAQ at the top of the page? At least some of your questions have been answered there.
Home of the ARBBL
"I survived the 525"

Offline Ozreth

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 05:06:24 PM »
The only movement within 1" that stops someone from forcing combat is the "push back" rule - if you push someone back (or yourself) you can then move away without the opponent re-engaging.

Got it. And teleporting doesn't count as movement, correct?

And yeah, I noticed that thread after posting this. I initially thought it was for errata and the like but then saw that it was for people to ask questions. That being said it's a beast of a thread to comb through for answers, although it would've made sense to post this there.

Thanks!

Offline Psychlic Bob

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 08:09:44 AM »
Got it. And teleporting doesn't count as movement, correct?

And yeah, I noticed that thread after posting this. I initially thought it was for errata and the like but then saw that it was for people to ask questions. That being said it's a beast of a thread to comb through for answers, although it would've made sense to post this there.

Thanks!

It may take a while but it is really worth reading through the FAQ and rules Question thread at the head of the page - Jo explains reasons behind a lot of the reactions...

Offline Ozreth

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2017, 04:41:52 PM »
It may take a while but it is really worth reading through the FAQ and rules Question thread at the head of the page - Jo explains reasons behind a lot of the reactions...

I will do this, thanks!