Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:40:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: First try of Pulp Alley  (Read 714 times)

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
First try of Pulp Alley
« on: October 26, 2017, 03:28:09 PM »
First outing AAR

So after perusing the rules with scratched up a couple of leagues and gave PA a good drubbing

The Local plod (H Division) and the Royal Marines had decided to settle a jurisdictional matter concerning a certain Mr S. Holmes and Dr Watson in Old London Town in the traditional way – a punch up.

The first 4 plot points were quickly bagged, 2 by myself and 2 by Richard. 
This left the final plot point (one particular S. Holmes) which both sides wanted to ‘assist with their enquiries’

Unfortunately my Sgt Atherton was more used to office work than arresting suspects and failed to apply the required amount of might to subdue Mr Holmes and got his head kicked in as a result.
(Failed his peril and got himself down and out)

As a result a huge punch up evolved between my Chief Inspector Reid and his sidekick Sgt Drake and the Royal marine captain and his mountain of a RSM. 
However, Drake is a really dirty fighter and quick-strike meant he’d got a lot of dice to play with
Reid also took the opportunity to put the boot in taking out the RSM and wounding the Capt for very little damage in return.

However, in the meantime our unsupervised allies and followers were still fighting and managed to drop two plot points all on their own… 
and then fail the various challenges and perils to pick them up again!

It ended up with a minor victory to H-Div with 2 plot points to 1. 

We were just trying the rules but both agreed we’d missed out by not fully partaking in the plot point generator as the narrative would have been far more entertaining!

Wobbly pics to follow….

Very impressed that we hardly needed the rulebooks at all, other than to look up the odd skill (due to how we’d lazily written out leagues!!) and the odd subtlety like dodge movement being in the move section not the dodge section!  We are going to make up the character cards and make up some markers for activated, fought and wounded.

Couple of minor questions but I think we got these mostly right –

With ‘Stay down’ fortune the target skips the recovery check so if down will stay down but as it’s not a failed check can’t go ‘out’ yes?

A Dropped plot point is still perilous to pick up yes?

Initiative – do you ‘lose it’ or do you only ‘win it’?  So if I fail a peril and get my chap KO do I lose the initiative or can it only be ‘won’ through positive action? Not sure on this one…

If my chap has fought twice does that mean -2D on the next due to multiple combats yes?

Onwards and upwards!

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
Re: First try of Pulp Alley
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 08:51:07 PM »

Very impressed that we hardly needed the rulebooks at all, other than to look up the odd skill (due to how we’d lazily written out leagues!!) and the odd subtlety like dodge movement being in the move section not the dodge section!  We are going to make up the character cards and make up some markers for activated, fought and wounded.

So glad y'all had fun playing Pulp Alley! THATS what it is all about.  ;)

Couple of minor questions but I think we got these mostly right –

With ‘Stay down’ fortune the target skips the recovery check so if down will stay down but as it’s not a failed check can’t go ‘out’ yes?

A Dropped plot point is still perilous to pick up yes?

Initiative – do you ‘lose it’ or do you only ‘win it’?  So if I fail a peril and get my chap KO do I lose the initiative or can it only be ‘won’ through positive action? Not sure on this one…

If my chap has fought twice does that mean -2D on the next due to multiple combats yes?

Stay Down? 100% correct! He'll stay in play because he can't fail his check.

Plot Points Perils? 100% correct. A plot point is always perilous to grab - even one that has been dropped by someone else.

Initiative? Normally, there are only two ways to win the the Initiative ---
1. Complete a Plot Point.
2. Clearly win a fight.

> Failing a peril or Health check doesn't change the Initiative. Hitting someone with a Burst doesn't change the Initiative. Passing a Recovery check or Horror check doesn't change the Initiative. And so on...

Multi-Combats? 100% correct. If you've already been in two fights this turn, you'll have a -2d penalty in your next fight.

I hope that helps!

Looking forward to seeing your pics.  :D

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 10:06:27 PM »
Cheers!  Pics aren't great!

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 10:07:41 PM »
The main fights

1 Sherlock in the centre of a punch up between the Leaders and sidekicks

2 Doc spent his whole time falling down and getting back up again.... my chaps dropped the plot point then failed to collect it back...
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 10:09:44 PM by Rich H »

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 12:19:54 AM »
Love the table.
Very cool.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 12:21:20 AM »
Thanks.  Had to tweak ot as the allys were too narrow for my hands!  I really need to finish off the last few bits too!

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 06:46:12 AM »
AWESOME scenery, CONGRATULATIONS!  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

BTW: As you've already noticed, Pulp Alley is just PERFECT for Victorianpulp Adventures, specially with the Horror Deck!  ;)

P.S.> Nice to see figures on clear plastic bases; that's the way to go IMHO!  :D
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 06:50:33 AM by dinohunterpoa »
"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2017, 08:16:57 AM »
I really need to finish painting it...!  I'm planning on painting the remaining pavement today hopefully.
I've also got a load of that brick paper so I can pretty up some of the basic ruins.

I've now got a few feet of sewers built now so we can fight above and below ground.  The sewers I suspect won't get used very much as they are pretty claustrophobic but if some of the plot points happen to be down there...  lol

Game 2 of Pulp alley tonight, hopefully with 3 players.  This time we are on the nearby farmland. 

My police have a report of old Joe cutting down a hedge that doesn't belong to him...

Offline Alcide Nikopol

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2017, 12:55:52 PM »
Good luck with your game tonight. I hope we get to see some photos.
A.Nik-