Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:12:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690923
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 616
Total: 621

Recent

Author Topic: Oathmark elves revealed! Plastics pics p. 6!  (Read 16953 times)

Offline jauntyharrison

• Bookworm
Re: Oathmark elves revealed?
« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2017, 10:23:49 AM »
I hope that other elves on the sprue wil be wearing simply plain mail without those odd oval plackards on the torso. For a while now I’ve been hoping to make a distinctly un-ostentatious looking band of Elves with a migration period aesthetic.

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2017, 09:45:50 PM »
Here's the Victor Ambrus art that these kinda reminded me of (although the oval breastplates would be better if not left 'plain' on the models). Follow the link and scroll down...Sorry I can't post the pics direct but I have no image hosting ability other than my blog.

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/new-units-3-elves-for-lotm-or-medieval-december-21-2005.148981/page-2

I always wished someone would sculpt some Elves in the style of these Ambrus illustrations...

Offline Jacksarge

• Scientist
    • Jacksarge Painting
« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2017, 02:24:29 AM »
Here's the Victor Ambrus art that these kinda reminded me of (although the oval breastplates would be better if not left 'plain' on the models). Follow the link and scroll down...Sorry I can't post the pics direct but I have no image hosting ability other than my blog.

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/new-units-3-elves-for-lotm-or-medieval-december-21-2005.148981/page-2

I always wished someone would sculpt some Elves in the style of these Ambrus illustrations...

Love those Victor Ambrus illustrations, an excellent aesthetic for the elves of Middle Earth!

Offline Davies

• Librarian
« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2017, 10:33:45 AM »
Not very interested in elves...until now. This one fits perfectly with my vision of Paul Anderson's The Broken sword elves, so I definitely grab a box when on sale.

Offline Abbner Home

• Scientist
« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2017, 06:58:37 PM »
The elf shown does not call to me at all. Too early to say and I'll reserve judgement but that does not inspire. Flat, simple, and the face seems off. A great face on a 80's GW elf, not so great today.  IMO.

Offline Captain Gamma

• Mad Scientist
    • https://killerbgames.co.uk/
« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2017, 12:29:26 PM »
I think the elf looks great. He reminds me of the good old days of Citadel. I love the haughty looking face. Exactly how I like my elves.
"Morning!"

Offline FionaWhite

• Mad Scientist
  • The Fox Fantastic
« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2017, 03:49:33 PM »
My only troubles with this are the already-mentioned slightly too human-ish sword and the breastplate, though the concern with the latter is solely
based on my own inability to do freehand decorations.

I really have no idea what I'm doing.

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #67 on: November 06, 2017, 04:06:29 PM »
I like the Elf
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Duff

• Scientist
    • Duff Paint
« Reply #68 on: November 06, 2017, 04:45:08 PM »
I like the elf, he's got a nice old school look that would work well with the old Granadier High Elves.

Offline Jacksarge

• Scientist
    • Jacksarge Painting
« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2017, 02:29:12 AM »
Looks pretty good. Like other folks have said, a thinner sword would be good, not sure about the "heater" shield particularly as NS has indicated that Dark Age/Early Medieval is more the vibe they are going for - a tear-dropped shaped kite shield would suit tho.

Offline KGatch113

• Librarian
« Reply #70 on: December 23, 2017, 04:36:54 AM »

Love this elf. Reasons: 1. Unlike GW and LOTR elves, he's not wearing a bulky skirt/robe uniform. Elves tend to live in forests and wilderness areas. Skirts would make it hard to move quickly through woods and brush etc. 2. The sword. Maybe big, but not a curved japanese sword. Why would elves design their weapons differently from other races? Swords through out the world all tended to look alike and be used alike. Until we get to Japan, but again, why would elves use curved swords? No real reason other than to be "different". I'd argue in a fantasy world/milieu humans, if they evolved later than elves as is often the case in fantasy literature, would copy elves and those who came before them.  3. Sense of realism. The armor, sword, shield and helmet just look right. Nothing over the top or outlandish. Maybe for the final product they can make a few changes here and there, but hopefully not too many.

It is a shame Tre Manor of Red Box games focuses on his dwarves and barbarians and not his aelfar line....Those are the best elves out there IMHO.

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #71 on: December 23, 2017, 06:49:33 AM »
I am starting to get used to the concept elf.  The face may need some work, it is quite alien, but I feel elves should look more human - they are just fairer/taller/better proportioned/ more graceful than humans.  If the idea is to be like the elves in Tolkien's books the helmet needs some work.  In the Silmarillion the helms are said to be tall.  There may need to be shield options, there is a hint that Noldor used long shields unlike the Sindar - but quite what the Sindar used is unknown.
Ecthelion of the Fountain had a spiked helm, so at least one figure with a spike might be nice.
I think the Grenadier/Mirliton look is right, just that the poses are a bit static and there should be more sword/shield combinations (although Sindar in the First Age are often said to be armed with axes).
I realise that there is nothing to say that the idea is to have Oathmark elves as Tolkien elves, but there is that niggling suspicion......

Offline Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #72 on: December 23, 2017, 03:38:39 PM »
The elf looks fine to me. Leave the sword for practical reasons, if nothing else. A thin plastic version would break too easily. Not too keen on the heater shield, but then what shape would Elves have? Over the years I have seen ovals and kite shields with, I think, most being the latter. Leaving the pectoral blank is a good idea as it allows LBMS to do their magic.  :)

Offline KGatch113

• Librarian
« Reply #73 on: December 28, 2017, 10:39:43 PM »

It was hinted on the Oathmark FB page that the elves will be out early 2018. That could be from January to June IMHO lol.

Offline The Gray Ghost

• Mastermind
  • Beware The Gray Ghost
« Reply #74 on: December 29, 2017, 12:08:43 AM »
That's good to know I have a bunch of the old Vendel and with them now out of production I now know where to get reinforcements.

The Conqueror Models Dwarfs are very nice miniatures sculpted by the same sculptor of the Vendel Miniatures range. I'm currently painting up a dozen of the miniatures and they really fit well with the Northstar Dwarfs. I have written a thorough review of the miniatures on Wargame News and Terrain, my daily wargame news blog along with scale comparison pictures. If of interest, you can check it here http://wargameterrain.blogspot.be/2017/10/conqueror-models-dark-age-dwarf.html?m=1
I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it anymore and what is it seems weird and scary.