Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:40:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Oathmark elves revealed! Plastics pics p. 6!  (Read 16930 times)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Oathmark elves revealed! Plastics pics p. 6!
« Reply #90 on: January 18, 2018, 09:28:31 PM »
I like the Elves the most out of the ranges they've released so far. Building an elf army, if you don't like GW elves, isn't that easy. There is the old Grenadier/Copplestone Elves knocking around but they are quite GW like and Ral Partha Europe has some nice ones but other than that other ranges are small/not that good/expensive or Mantic  :P.

These look really good to me and being plastic means I could probably afford a decent sized army.

Yup - to me, these look the nicest elves since Aly Morrison's old early-80s High Elves for Citadel.

Offline KGatch113

• Librarian
« Reply #91 on: January 18, 2018, 10:35:10 PM »
I like the Elves the most out of the ranges they've released so far. Building an elf army, if you don't like GW elves, isn't that easy. There is the old Grenadier/Copplestone Elves knocking around but they are quite GW like and Ral Partha Europe has some nice ones but other than that other ranges are small/not that good/expensive or Mantic  :P.

These look really good to me and being plastic means I could probably afford a decent sized army.

Exactly! If you nose around this site, you'll see my various posts asking about heads/size compatibility. I was planning on kitbashing elves from various historicals, but Roman and Greek heads just didn't work. ( I'd have gone with Spartan pilos helmets, but the Spartans had beards :( ). I ended up choosing Macedonian heads from Victrix to go with Fireforge Teutonic bodies, and I may still use some for my vision of elves with the Oathmark heads.

IMHO both from Tolkien's writings and other depiction of elves, they would not have had a precise uniform military, but would have had a number of individuals extremely skilled at arms. But that's just me. I almost choked when one poster asked about females elves, saying they loved to go into combat.....Each to their own I guess.

Offline Severian

• Scientist
« Reply #92 on: January 18, 2018, 11:02:10 PM »
Still not quite sold on these, I'm afraid. It's probably unfair to judge from this selection, though, so I'll wait and see. Actually, I'll almost certainly pre-order a box in any case (I'm guessing they're aiming for them to be out for Salute).

My biggest sticking point (as it were) is the helmets - not the feathers, which as has been mentioned are detachable, but the shape. I'd much rather a rounder, less-pointed helmet, like some of the old Ral Partha elves, or those in some of the Alan Lee illustrations to the Children of Hurin. I'd settle for a sort of open Corinthian helmet. But these don't really work for me - too medieval-ish.

Without seeing the sprue, though, it's obviously impossible to know what the head options will be, and what sort of compatibility there might be with other sets or ranges (there are probably some Perry late medieval heads, or Victrix Greek ones, that might work, but who knows if they'd fit...)

Not wild about the shields either, but that's very easily fixed. Although I can see these shields being a standing challenge to the freehand painting wizards out there....

Having said all that, these are overall very promising and the Oathmark range as a whole is going from strength to strength. Time to build some more goblins....

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #93 on: January 19, 2018, 12:33:44 AM »
In the end, it's whatever you like as personal choice.  As for a 1st Age look the Noldor, at least, are described as having high or tall helms (I can't quite remember the wording) - so I would almost think these helmets aren't tall/pointed enough.  But a few closed helms would also be nice.  

Edit:  A lot of elven armour and weaponry was dwarven made, certainly for the Sindar early in the First Age.  These helmets may well be lower/rounder. 
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 12:40:05 AM by Ethelred the Almost Ready »

Offline powerfrog99

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #94 on: January 19, 2018, 05:11:10 AM »
Lovely minis, I have really waited for these kind of stuff  ;D
Cheers Thomas
These days it's Wargods and Warhammer Armies Project I am working on !

Check out my gallery here on LAF
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;u=2521

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #95 on: January 19, 2018, 02:13:56 PM »
Didn't like the painted one. These plastics look pretty good. I'd need to see oathmarks rules before I lay down any money though.

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #96 on: January 19, 2018, 10:52:03 PM »
I really like the armour, shields and weapons, but not the helmets. They just look a bit 'ordinary'. Perhaps years of GW and the Jackson movies have influenced me a little too much or maybe it's just my own internal image of Elves from The Silmarillion not quite matching up. Good to see something a bit different though.

Offline jauntyharrison

• Bookworm
« Reply #97 on: January 19, 2018, 11:18:42 PM »
I like the plain Jane helmets, I think I'll be replacing the shields with ones that look less fantastical, probably just viking era round shields.

It really bugs me that they're wearing gloves. That's not at all a dark ages sort of thing to wear. I may have to greenstuff some sleeves terminating at the wrists.

Offline Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #98 on: January 20, 2018, 12:01:56 AM »
I think they'll be perfect for Tekumel, even with the scaled back plumage.

• Mastermind
« Reply #99 on: January 20, 2018, 01:01:29 AM »
I like the plain Jane helmets, I think I'll be replacing the shields with ones that look less fantastical, probably just viking era round shields.

It really bugs me that they're wearing gloves. That's not at all a dark ages sort of thing to wear. I may have to greenstuff some sleeves terminating at the wrists.

Gloves seem to be common to many elf sculpts.  That and FM boots.
I agree that they would have been better without gloves, but they still seem the most practical elves I have seen.

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #100 on: January 20, 2018, 08:47:06 AM »
It really bugs me that they're wearing gloves. That's not at all a dark ages sort of thing to wear.

It's very elfish though, they are very particular about getting dirty. It's why they have tall helmets too, when you spend all morning working on your hair, you don't want it ruined by a spring shower or a pesky battle.

Offline adventure_85

• Student
« Reply #101 on: January 20, 2018, 02:49:00 PM »
I think some of the heads from the Russian Fireforge infantry would go well with these elves.

• Mastermind
« Reply #102 on: January 20, 2018, 10:51:46 PM »
I think some of the heads from the Russian Fireforge infantry would go well with these elves.

Good God, man.  I hope you are not suggesting bearded elves!! lol

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #103 on: January 21, 2018, 10:03:05 AM »
The oval breast plate is still bugging me; I imagine it was included to break up the chainmail, but it will be difficult to cover up unless sculpting full surcoats or so on them. Not a huge fan of the shields either (random indentations to top, side or both sides), but those are easily switched with others.

Other than that, they're great. Best plastic armoured Elves, among the best armoured Elves out there in general. Just loving the chosen aesthetic for this range.
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #104 on: January 21, 2018, 12:48:31 PM »
I love those elves. In an age of Warcraft-inspired fantasy aesthetics and rule-of-cool over the top crap like EVERYTHING IN THE HOBBIT FILMS (ahem), I think it's nice to see more realistic, yet still fantastical models such as the Oathmark stuff. I shall definitely be planning a fantasy project around these... :)