Forum > General Wargames and Hobby Discussion

Favorite Initiative and Activation Systems

(1/7) > >>

Elstree:
Hello all, and greetings! New member here, and since I need to post something within the first month to keep my account open I thought I'd throw this question out there:

What are your favorite initiative/activation systems, and why?

By initiative and activation systems, I mean the rules that govern who gets to activate units when and in what sequence. Some examples might help:

IGOUGO (I go-you go): I activate all of my units, then you activate all of your units.
Alternating activations: I activate a unit, then you activate a unit (or maybe a few units at a time, but not the whole force).
Shifting initiative: I continue to activate units until some triggering event causes initiative to pass to you (e.g. Song of Blades and Heroes, Future War Commander, Crossfire)
Fixed queue: the order of activations is determined by a deck of cards containing one card for each unit, which are turned over in turn.

...and so on.

I'm relatively new to wargaming, and am approaching it from the board gaming side, so my experience is mainly with things like Command and Colors (Memoir '44, Battlelore), Ogre, Battletech, HeroScape, etc. Still, this is an aspect that doesn't really depend on whether you are counting hexes or measuring inches/cm.

Elstree:
Thanks, Humakt. Dislikes are good too. Mostly I'm curious what people hear what people consider the pros and cons of different systems. What in particular don't you like about IGOUGO?

Mick_in_Switzerland:
Lion Rampant has an interesting but frustrating Shifting Iniative system which really gives an excellent "fog of war" effect.

A player activates his units one at a time.
Each time the player tries to activate i.e. issues an order to the unit, two D6 are rolled and the score shows if the activation succeeds..
Some activations are easy - expert archers shoot on 4+ but others are difficult - archers will only attack on 7+.
As soon as an activation fails, the next player takes a turn.
This means that, often, a player only activates one or two units.
If you think about what you are doing, you can increase your chance of success by issuing easy orders first.

Inkpaduta:
I am pretty much an I go you go type of guy.
A few times I will go with cards representing a given unit.
Some times both sides roll and the highest roll goes first.
But, mostly, I go you go works for me.

A Lot of Gaul:
My all-time favorite system is the four-phase turn sequence found in Swordpoint:

1. Initial Phase: players resolve morale and cohesion tests simultaneously;
2. Shooting Phase: players' eligible units shoot simultaneously;
3. Movement Phase: players dice for initiative, with the winner choosing who moves first for that turn;
4. Combat Phase: players resolve unit combats simultaneously.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version