Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:09:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686585
  • Total Topics: 118108
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A War in The East  (Read 74029 times)

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: A War in The East
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2017, 10:32:12 PM »
... Also love those interiors. Is that Rusty Rail stuff you have in there?

I recognise some Skytrex chemical drums and Rubicon boxes.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2017, 11:05:18 PM »
Aye, I bought a load of those Rusty Rail bits for the sheds. Storage units which I've been to have never been really clean. I remember ones full of rusty shelves and random cardboard boxes (with a car hidden beneath) when I was a kid. Pity models need to fit in them, otherwise the whole floor would be piled in junk. :)

I've deleted the shopping list, but I must have placed a dozen orders from sites on that list on the PA board. The bits for the two shops turned up today, so I'm rotating through projects as they suit my fancy. I'm still waiting on my Black Cat Bases on though (1 month now), so I can't bloody finish anything as that has all the little bits (shop tills, tin cans...). Boo. :(

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2017, 10:10:37 AM »
A nice forceful start - will follow with interest.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The East is a delicate matter!
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2017, 01:41:15 PM »
Hi Wyrmalla.

If you need help in selecting photos for inspiration, I can help. I have a large selection of photos of various cars and uniforms of this conflict.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2017, 04:00:42 PM »
Hey cuprum. Yes, I remember your previous threads on the subject. I was using Tank-net's threads for reference, but they updated their forum a while ago and a lot of them were deleted. I already have folders of images, though pointers to more are always useful. You never know what might spark some inspiration. :)

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2017, 04:48:39 PM »
Hmm ... That's a lot of photos ...
Tell me what you are interested in. Improvised armored vehicles? Interesting coloring? Any specific types of tanks or armored cars?

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2017, 04:52:19 PM »
I'm covering multiple forces, so really, whatever. I've hundreds of photographs already, but new stuff's always interesting. :)

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2017, 05:01:39 PM »
Good. At me - now already midnight. Tomorrow I will select for you interesting photos.

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2017, 08:13:34 AM »
You can download some photos here: https://yadi.sk/d/_uKiNWvR3PLAYn

Download button
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 08:19:18 AM by cuprum »

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2017, 07:00:00 PM »
@ cuprum

First, thanks cuprum for that folder. I hadn't expected so many pictures, but expect that you have better access to cyrillic forums where this sort of thing crops up more.

Work's come along on some more bits and bobs. The same models which were on my painting table during my original post are still there, just blame that on other priorities.

Instead I worked on a pair of Technicals. For the National and Seperatist elements (too grubby for the foreigners).

The first of the two is more of a "Narco Tank". Its not based on any one design, rather its a been a mish-mash of stuff from around the world.

That's mostly to cover up that its not made from an actual pickup truck. I had a 1/56th US WWII truck going spare. Having widened the chassis and removed a set of the rear wheels I then made the body from scratch (thus why its so heavily armoured). I'll likely be painting this to look like its made from rusted sheets so it can be used by anyone, including in other settings.

The second one's a it more down to earth with its design. Whilst its not an exact copy, I based it on a picture of a similar vehicle (hah, which ****** had in his folder oddly enough).

This one's a Toyota Hilux by a Antenocitis Workshop, admitedly still short on greenstuff filling and details. The gunner I made from a Project Z Spec Ops soldier by Warlord games, though with a head and gun by Empress, and his legs were modified to fit te rear of the pickup. The back's jumbled up with stowage as you'd expect. Looking at it now that tarp above the front windshield is clear of any shots, but I can imagine it winding up with a few holes anyway if things get too hairy. :)

While I'm posting these I'll stick up some older technicals which I originally made for my S.T.A.L.K.E.R. collection. These are all based opn 1/43rd scale diecasts which may be a bit large for 28mm games, though aren't massively overrzised alongside the Empress and HLBS vehicles. The painjobs could do with some touching up, but here's the original pictures from the other thread.

The Landrover's maybe the most passable, however the size difference with the infantry's still pretty clear. They'll do if I'm ever short on vehicles, or for terrain (an ambushed convoy perhaps) in a pinch.

Now I did manage some terrain. These are road and street blocking barricades made from 1/43rd diecasts by DiAgostini.

1/43'rds too large of course, but they work a bit better when hidden under the rubble (and it isn't as much a jump in scale when using 1/48th vehicles). The rubbel and stacked furniture's mostly either cork or balsa wood, with some Renedra sand bags, Tamiya bricks, and some other junk thrown in.

Nobody comment on the fact that that Ambulance didn't see use outside of Russia. These things were going for £1, and I bought like 50 of them. :)

I'm still waiting on my order from Black Cat Gaming (over a month now), so I'm get to painting any of the larger terrain pieces. Ideally those would be my priority in order to branch out from the usual tables we play on. Oh well.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 07:14:24 PM by Wyrmalla »

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2017, 08:01:29 PM »
That Technical looks good.

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2017, 08:14:40 PM »
Nice work as usual!

Offline S_P

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2017, 09:39:40 PM »
Great work on the technicals. Not that you need any help with them but I thought I'd pass along this in case you'd not seen it before:

http://scholarship.claremont.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1423&context=cgu_fac_pub

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2017, 10:09:00 PM »
Cool stuff! Really nice barricades, the camper van is great as well!

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2017, 10:55:54 PM »
Ah, I haven't read that document. The most I know about Narco Tanks is fro Tank Encylopedia's article on the subject. I'll give that a look, as I have a thing for them. :D