Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:01:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A War in The East  (Read 74729 times)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: A War in The East
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2017, 01:13:10 AM »
That's what I read also. Mostly used for supply runs, ambulance service and behind the lines patrols and troop movment.
Better then a unarmored car and looks military so it will work.  lol
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2017, 04:34:09 PM »
Mildly OT. ;)

Want, so much want. :D

...I have slight PTSD from providing tech support for those things. Now I need an excuse to go order them (I'm holding back from ordering any of the Russian stuff on that site, as most of its not due to enter service till 2020 - and well who knows how much things will have changed by then). :)

Anyhow. The Saxon's coming along. The base body's done, now its detailing that and finalising the wheels. The underside's also came up with a few inaccuracies which will need to be resolved with some creative (read: liberal) application of mud.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2017, 05:54:42 PM »
Very nice, what is it?

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2017, 06:05:53 PM »
A rugged laptop. ;)

(sitting on top of a Gaz Tigr, with Spetsnaz for scale. Found on Kings Hobbies and Games).

Sorry I mean a rugged laptop...

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2017, 06:29:29 PM »
If it's anything like our ruggedised laptops it's still work as well as it always did. 
Very slowly and with an out of date operating system with no support contract....

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2017, 06:38:20 PM »
Despite the flair that seem to attach to the Rugged systems, most of the users are just field agents; not the glamorous military. :P

They're a paint in the arse to take a part with their twin chassis (oh you finally busted open the screws to get in here, well F you sucker). Considering the ones that did need serviced usually were thrown under a bus. Luckily we'd persuade people to have the depot look at them instead (though if that's all a guy had then that's not much use to them - the new guys still tried forcing a depot service on people).

Though yes, other than being bricks, getting much use out of the things was a high bar. Probably why they're sold to organisations who don't give a crap about the state of their OS (...Windows for Warships is a treat coming from 10). :D

Ah, not to go on about my former life. ;)

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2017, 08:11:44 PM »
How does the Tigra compare to the Empress one?

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2017, 09:12:08 PM »
I don't have that particular one; I just took the picture from that seller's Facebook page. The Kings Hobbies and Games stuff varies in quality. The straight 3D prints can be pretty rough, the resin casts are much better (I have some of his Zil Punishers awaiting painting and they're good enough for gaming). Looking at the Tigr I believe it to be resin.

At a glance the Empress one come with pewter details rather than being all resin. It also has a conventional cupola and gun mount which you're likely to see in the field. Conversely however Kings Hobbies and Games offer the lesser seen upgraded variants of the Tigr (the owner Tim seems to be into making variants like these, see all the 2020 Russian stuff). Whilst they may not be realistic for all real world scenarios (I'm not sure if they've even seen combat), they're pretty cool for gaming.

I'd considered taking the 30mm turret version (which FYI, the particular gun used there is standard across loads of modernized vehicles like the BTR-80) and sticking it on a Zil Punsher. However I don't have a dremel. The resin which Kings Hobbies and Games uses is harder than Empress'. So at the least you've less of a chance of breaking one of his ones.

So, as a summary - unless the scale's different (which I don't suspect them to be based on the Punishers I have), barring the difference in the lack of pewter details both could be used alongside each other without too much of a difference from what I can see. The Modern Miniatures Warfare page on Facebook may have more pictures as a comparison, or well, if you're actually interested King's Hobbies and Games owner Tim Spakowski is pretty responsive to inquiries (and for a small business owner he's not a bad guy to talk to).

Edit: and it looks like Kings Hobbies and Games have a 20% off sale on a load of stuff if you are looking, including the new Spetsnaz and Punisher (Falcatus)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 09:15:43 PM by Wyrmalla »

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2017, 09:23:53 PM »
Queue :P

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2017, 10:21:28 AM »
Thanks.

I have an Empress one, but have not got round to building it.

Kings Hobbies and Games certainly have a very interesting range of vehicles.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2017, 02:07:57 PM »
Love this thread - very accurate depictions.  Well done.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2017, 06:03:59 PM »
Heh, the Saxon so far's gone through plenty of "meh, nobody will notice" moments already, as I find another reference photo which shows I've done something wrong. Not like you can tell in the online pictures. :)

Second hand shops have failed me yet again today as I try in vain to find any suitable vehicles. They screwed me with their lack of American 1950s vehicles, and continue to be crap for any Soviet style diecasts. However, I did pick up two things. A truck and a racing car.

The truck (you all know what a damn Formula 1 car looks like). I'll be armouring it up (and uh, removing the circus signage) and turning it into an APC. ...If I can find something to jemmy off those dumb all rivets holding the bed on!

Meanwhile I came across this image on a particular subreddit going be "Sh*tty Technicals". I'll lop off the wheels and suspension from the racing car and rebuild the body if I decide to go ahead with that thing (having come home and looked at this picture again the car might be too big to be a good donor). :)

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2017, 01:43:42 AM »
And here's the Saxon.

Its the medevac variant, so no guns and two side doors instead of one. I'll give it a cleanup tomorrow once the milliput's set.

I'm calling it good enough for gaming. ...Don't kill me anyone who's actually ridden one of these and sees all the mistakes (they were still being used in Afghanistan not too long ago).

Now the next sexy little thing I'm oggling is this:

The BTR-4. Specifically probably one of the variants with a turret. I'm not sure which, though found that there's actually one called the 4A which is made to use BTR and BMP turrets (including the BMP-3). Those 30mm guns seem a bit finnickly to build.

As its largely based on the BTR-80 I'll be casting up some spare wheels from Empress' one (I wanted some of their Spetsnaz assault helmets, so thought I may as well buy one of those too) and using it for some general measurements (though the 4's longer due to the larger turret and rear doors). Building the Saxon, and well all my German vehicles is giving me the confidence to be a bit more adventurous with my builds. :)

Oh, and in regards to the BTR-80. I may just be dull and go for a regular one with slat armour and stowage, or could have some fun (and again dread building one of those 30mm guns) and turn it into a BTR-3.

Or alternatively I could make a pot of soup, and actually be productive with my time... ;)

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2017, 08:30:42 AM »
Unless you are going to share the soup with us, I would vote for you building and posting.

Nice work on the Saxon.

I look forward to seeing your work on the BTRs. I just assembled and base painted my BTR 80, nice model, just never finished it. I am hoping for some inspiration.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 11:56:45 AM by Ultravanillasmurf »

Offline Brummie Thug

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Brummies Wargaming Blog
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2017, 09:38:03 AM »
Fab job so far. Some really awesome scratchbuilds. You sir are a genius!