Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:50:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690833
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Which are your all-time favorite sets of minis?  (Read 2995 times)

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
Re: Which are your all-time favorite sets of minis?
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2017, 05:59:54 PM »
For nostalgic reasons Marauder Dwarfs. For mon nostaligic reasons (even though they are old figures) the Mark Copplestone Barbarians he did for Grenadier just make me want to paint.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2017, 06:10:27 PM »
Interesting to see that people's favorites are often selected due to sentimental value as opposed to necessarily being excellent quality sculpts.

Yeah. You could argue that nearly all purchases made are for emotional rather than practical reasons (hard to think of a practical reason to buy mins at all!) and it's certainly the case with me. I know the old models don't compare to some of the new stuff produced today, in quality of cast, crispness of the sculpt as well as dynamism of pose, etc... but the old guys do have that magic (not all of them it must be said) that I can't resist.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2017, 09:05:33 PM »
Old Jess Goodwin Craftworld Eldar

This Dire Avenger Exarch epitomes that line. Alle were great and still is. Some of the sculpts wasnt beated two miniature editions later..
They made me play with miniatures in the first place even if I started with epic (but Eldar because of them :)

Another is first edition Necromunda line.
I love whole and collected most of it, but I will get all of them
Another Jess Goodwins instant classic - They were my first love but I love all of them to be honest

Coven Throne Hammers posted is one of my favorites from new GW. I dont have any use for it really but its so great model - from concept to execution in plastic that Ive invented myself Undead for Dragon rampant project just to get it!

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
  • Doing the Will of The Horned Cat
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2017, 09:26:25 PM »
Interesting to see that people's favorites are often selected due to sentimental value as opposed to necessarily being excellent quality sculpts.

Technical quality is attractive but it isn't enough.  Crisp detail and well engineered casts seem to be more an expectation than something notable now.  I'd liken it to a gesture drawing.  It's possible to say a lot more with a well chosen lines than a heavily worked illustration.  When I look at a figure I want it to tell me a story.  There has to be one there that draws me in.  The painting is the expression of the story that I saw in the model.  ithout ever having met the sculptor you have shared a creative experience.  Some nice models are just nice models.

Offline waitwhat

• Librarian
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2017, 09:59:28 PM »
For nostalgic reasons Marauder Dwarfs.

Seconded. Also, the night goblins, perry empire, jes's skaven, and early metal high elves from the same time (circa 1992) largely because of all the batreps and eavy metal coverage they got in WD at the time but also god damn they're drenched with character.

Beyond that the chaos champions, RTB01 terminators, beakies, all the eldar (especially that sword warlock) and more or less everything Jes ever did.

Yeah, impossible question.

Offline Paul Hicks

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2017, 12:26:59 AM »
Perry sculpted GW Empire. Fantastic range completely filled out. My army was featured in WD210 while I worked at GW in the late 90s.

Offline Paddy649

• Scientist
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2017, 12:27:36 AM »
Demonworld Elves.  Beautiful!

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2017, 02:59:48 AM »
What a great thread.  Some really good stuff here.

I've got a few favorites.  Nothing groundbreaking, but these all hold a special place in my minaitures pantheon.

-I like nearly all the first generation GW Necromunda figures but the Van Saar and Escher are my favorites of the batch.

My buddy painted the Escher for me.

-Denizen Ventaurans.  Nice variety, remarkably sharp and fine detail and one of the best bargains in high-quality minaitures.  The sculpting really holds up and only the slightly static poses and smaller size (about 27mm sole-to-eye with very realistic proportions) hints at their 25-30 year age!

-GW Squats.  I can't help it. I love these goofy bastards.

-Void 1.1 Junkers. (I realize there's a Warzone commander in there...)

I've got the figs and I swear I'll finish the Junker and Squat armies someday...

I hadn't thought about it until now but my favorites haven't changed much over the years. The most recent addition to the club was the Venaturans and that was at least 7 years ago.  
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 03:03:54 AM by eilif »