Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 09:59:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689253
  • Total Topics: 118266
  • Online Today: 558
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp Alley: How to Stat Garthim?  (Read 831 times)

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
Pulp Alley: How to Stat Garthim?
« on: October 27, 2017, 04:35:29 PM »
It's an unusual question, I know.  ;)

My mind's been brewing on a pulp/adventure game that would feature Garthim. For those of you unaware what these are, they were the dreadful minions of the Skeksis in the 80s film The Dark Crystal. Think a strange blend of flea, crawfish and nightmare and you won't be far off. A Google search will quickly show what they look like.

Translating this to Pulp Alley is my quandary. My thought for the evil league is to have a leader (possibly a Skeksis, or maybe a sorcerous type), a sidekick, and then the rest (4-6?) of the league made up of Garthim. To represent the last here are the boxes that need ticking:

1.) They are tough, with a thick carapace (but also not too tough; they can be destroyed) - possibly the armoured skill?
2.) Insect/crab-like - not sure what this would mean. Any ideas? They have claws...
3.) Fast? Haven't quite decided on this one
4.) Incredibly stupid. Their fatal flaw - they make an orc look like a brain surgeon

A quick flip through the books would give me some ideas, I know, but as I haven't played the rules very much I'd love input from those more experienced: if any of you have any thoughts how to stat these critters in PA I'd be most appreciative to hear them.

Thanks in advance!

Offline gweirda

• Librarian
    • Brawlfactory
Re: Pulp Alley: How to Stat Garthim?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 05:06:03 PM »

4.) Incredibly stupid. Their fatal flaw - they make an orc look like a brain surgeon

Like you, I'd have to dig through some books for 'official' thoughts, but I think this one is key insofar as PA is concerned.

I'd consider making them a gang -and even more restrictive- under the command of a particular figure (and within a certain radius).

As to the idea of command: I have that as a trait (cost = var, but at least 2) that allows a designated character to activate/direct a certain # of figs (usually 2, but could be more at an increased cost) that can be utilized upon the activation of the command figure.

The advantage is one of coordinated action, but at the cost of activating not only the command figure but also any figs he/she may command during the activation - ie: you get to do a lot, but your wad is shot.

I've also used a sort of 'undead master' rule that devolves to the activation of the 'master' who roll a number of dice (based on his/her power...cunning?) to determine the number of minions under his/her control.  In the same way, the power to activate many characters at a single time is offset by the 'one-and-done' aspect.

As to the armor value: Yeah, they should have some milieu-appropriate toughness that makes them tough nuts to crack.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 05:15:08 PM by gweirda »

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 05:24:21 PM »
Cool project idea.  What are you using for the figures?

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 11:46:45 PM »
Gweirda, those are excellent suggestions. I think you are right that it's in the command structure, or lack thereof, that I can get that distinctive Garthim feel.

Nick, funny you should ask. I'm actually doing something completely different for this project: I'm using toys and intend to use the garden or even some rooms in the house as sets; the intent is to make it fun for people not necessarily used to the idea of wargaming. As for the toys themselves, the Garthim are those by Funko (they also make a limited selection of other characters from the film: Jen, Kira, the Chamberlain, Aughra and a rather cracking Landstrider) - if you do a search for Funko Reaction Dark Crystal/Garthim you will find pics and reviews. They are amazing toys in every way, with excellent sculpts that really evoke the characters from the film. The fact that they are quite robust makes gaming with youths even more attractive.

For other protagonists/leagues, I am thinking about using 90mm figures from Schleich or Papo. I think they should fit well and are likewise "kid-proof". So there you are. Bet you're sorry you asked! 

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 02:20:12 PM »
2.) Insect/crab-like - not sure what this would mean. Any ideas? They have claws...

Well, they probably can't be knocked over/fall down easily, if at all.  All those scuttly legs you know.  OTOH, if they do get tipped over (maybe by falling off a cliff or something) they don't look like they'd be getting back on their many feet without assistance.

The big pinchy claws should just make them always count as armed in melee.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 03:03:49 PM »
I would likely build them as Animals - they won't have shooting - and add the Reanimated perk to the group as a whole to make them a touch tougher.
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 04:10:30 PM »
Some more very good ideas, chaps, thank you! I'm embarrassed to admit I hadn't thought about the things being tipped over; you're right, HS, it shouldn't be easy, but if they are...

Being animals and reanimated is also good advice, S.

I've got a good start now. If anyone else has any more suggestions I'd love to hear them. Thank you all again!

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2017, 08:03:12 PM »
You might also try the new Goon ability in the Lost World of Lemuria book. It takes away their ability to perform actions.

Mindless might be another good one.

Offline Gun bunny

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 03:29:55 AM »
 :D :D :D not the goon or mindless as they can function outside of direct control (see podling village raid), possible can only function in groups or will need an intelligence or willpower check if alone to do anything other than defend itself or retreat maybe
 definately crustacean-like...but insects (some) are also crustacean (wood louse/pill bug),
 they look to be 1/3 again the size of the skeksis and twice the height of gelflings and three times the size of podlings...
notice the pincer hand has a blade grown on the back of it (like a halberd or an axe blade) and the other has three digits for grabbing victims...
eyes glow(maybe vision in dark or less light conditions...
always chattering while moving (no sneaking) maybe ambush from hidden spot non-moving(still...glowing eyes...kinda defeats purpose of hiding huh!)
they remind me of large mire lurks from fallout 4...this gives me ideas again, have wanted to do some garthim for while.  :-*

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2017, 02:04:45 PM »
I appreciate the additional input! Dave, I've yet to get that supplement - must correct that!

Gun Bunny - I feel we are kindred spirits; it is evident you are up on your Garthim-lore. I agree that the critters might have trouble operating alone, being all too prone to sit statically - imposing but ineffectual - until the synapses start popping again, or a Skeksis comes along. How to simulate that in the game is the question. On the one hand there should be some possibility that this could happen, but not so much that it would unbalance the league and cripple its chances of winning. After all, it can be rather frustrating to play a game where most of one's forces go into hibernate mode.

I like the night vision points, and you are definitely right about no sneaking (the things clack and click wherever they go). Yes, ambush from static positions might be a possibility. Thanks very much for the input!  :D
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 02:08:52 PM by Arundel »

Offline Gun bunny

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2017, 07:19:41 AM »

I agree that the critters might have trouble operating alone, being all too prone to sit statically - imposing but ineffectual - until the synapses start popping again, or a Skeksis comes along,
 How to simulate that in the game is the question.
 On the one hand there should be some possibility that this could happen, but not so much that it would unbalance the league and cripple its chances of winning.
 After all, it can be rather frustrating to play a game where most of one's forces go into hibernate mode.

what about a stat check if they start a turn alone or out of skeksis command radius
if they fail they  move at half rate to show hesitation of thought 
orrrr maybe sit in cover to await any who come within charge range
possible active close on anyone who attacks  them at range claiming thier sole attention causing a charge move to target.
 as for hiding...like when they were on gaurd duty in the corridors of the palace they came out of hiding onto the balcony when called in the movie and didn't one have it's eyes dimmed or off until one of the gelflings passed by the gaurd niche