Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 07:19:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691287
  • Total Topics: 118383
  • Online Today: 606
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp Alley: Body of Evidence  (Read 1331 times)

Offline whomever1

• Librarian
Pulp Alley: Body of Evidence
« on: November 01, 2017, 10:13:03 PM »
  Rags has come up with another nifty scenario: Another murder in Bay City, and Big Don Bigelow is the prime suspect. Who's willing to sing and/or who's looking for a visit with the guy with the kneecapping stick? This is a two-man Trail of Clues scenario between Projekt 55 and La Flor de Tortuga, playing under Vice Alley rules.

https://imgur.com/gallery/4tRyn

Offline Bessy

• Scientist
  • Namaste Mofo
Re: Pulp Alley: Body of Evidence
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 10:51:32 PM »
Those posters are really cool! Are there any tricks to making them turn out so nice?

Offline ragsthetiger

• Scientist
  • Phantom Agent
    • rags' gallery
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 01:47:26 PM »
Those posters are really cool! Are there any tricks to making them turn out so nice?

Hi, Bessy.  No special tricks, just try to find the highest resolution copy you can, reduce them (I use Photoshop), and print them out.  Glad you enjoy them.

Thanks for a fun session, Whom, and a fine Action Report.
  :)
rags

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 03:49:16 AM »

I was waiting to see Madonna in the game!  lol

Great scenery and very nice collection of minis... IMHO, they would look even better on clear bases!  ;)

"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

Offline whomever1

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 05:19:29 AM »
I was waiting to see Madonna in the game!  lol

Great scenery and very nice collection of minis... IMHO, they would look even better on clear bases!  ;)

Convince Teri Litorco of that. Or I could use my Paint Shop Pro clone brush!

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 07:52:30 AM »
  Convince Teri Litorco of that. Or I could use my Paint Shop Pro clone brush!

I don't have to convince anybody of anything!  lol

Offline ragsthetiger

• Scientist
  • Phantom Agent
    • rags' gallery
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 05:56:26 PM »
IMHO, they would look even better on clear bases!  ;)

Thanks for your suggestion, and I like clear bases, but I'm not converting.  I have about six or seven hundred painted minis, dating from the mid-eighties, and the limited time I have for painting and modeling is better spent on new projects than revisiting the old ones.  They roll with the bases they have -- it doesn't bother them, or me, at all.
 :)
Very nice report, Whom.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 09:27:20 PM by ragsthetiger »

Offline whomever1

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 11:03:18 PM »
  I didn't mean to sound excessively abusive and obnoxious (only a little abusive) when I suggested convincing Teri Litorco of the virtue of clear bases. I asked her directly about them, and she just said something like--The base is the setting for your jewel, the frame for your picture! But thinking to myself, I thunk--"is there any other genre of gaming besides pulp where people are obsessive about having their models look good against a variety of backgrounds?" Frostgrave seems to be interested in a few different terrains. But for instance, the few times I played Warhammer Fantasy Battle it was on a green tablecloth, and all the bases looked fine painted green. When I play an RPG I mostly only bring Johnny Covert out to put him on a 2D grid, so a clear base would be pointless. ANYWAY, I'll end with the musical question--where and how much are clear bases taking over in gaming?

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 03:33:55 AM »
I feel like it is more of a personal preference thing. You use what you like, I use what I like, and we're both happy.  ;)

Offline Matt

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 11:24:53 PM »
Whomever / rags,
 Great looking game, always enjoy your reports.

What are your thoughts on gangs?  I see you had two that got wiped out pretty quick.  I run two, sometimes three with my COMINTERN League.  They rarely (never) make it to the end of the game.  What is your experience?

Matt

Offline ragsthetiger

• Scientist
  • Phantom Agent
    • rags' gallery
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2017, 11:46:03 PM »
Whomever / rags,   Great looking game, always enjoy your reports.
What are your thoughts on gangs?  I see you had two that got wiped out pretty quick.  I run two, sometimes three with my COMINTERN League.  They rarely (never) make it to the end of the game.  What is your experience?  Matt

Thanks for the nice comments.  My personal experience reflects your own, and also Whom's (to judge from what he's said to me)...they never make it to the end of the game.  BUT...they do have access to some abilities that a "normal" L2 character does not.  For example, you can't get an ally with "veteran" or "moxie", but you can get the equivalent ability for a gang.  So, while they do tend to disappear faster than other 2-slot options, they can raise some hell and get your opponent's attention while they're there.  Like with everything else, these are the tradeoffs.
 ;)
BTW, I love your COMINTERN league  ;D
rags

Offline whomever1

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2017, 12:37:03 AM »
  I can say a few things about gangs, I guess. For one, that particular league--Flor de Tortuga--has been pretty successful at times. The gangs can do a lot of damage, and also they are really good at blocking for the turn or two before they go out. But mainly I like them because they let me put a whole bunch of tramp steamer sailors or martial artists on the table all at once. One thing I am disappointed at though--I gave the leader of Flor the Tactician ability, which lets you buff your gangs somewhat. I don't think it has seemed worth it to me.

Offline Gardensnake

• Bookworm
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2017, 03:38:02 AM »
  I didn't mean to sound excessively abusive and obnoxious (only a little abusive) when I suggested convincing Teri Litorco of the virtue of clear bases. I asked her directly about them, and she just said something like--The base is the setting for your jewel, the frame for your picture! But thinking to myself, I thunk--"is there any other genre of gaming besides pulp where people are obsessive about having their models look good against a variety of backgrounds?" Frostgrave seems to be interested in a few different terrains. But for instance, the few times I played Warhammer Fantasy Battle it was on a green tablecloth, and all the bases looked fine painted green. When I play an RPG I mostly only bring Johnny Covert out to put him on a 2D grid, so a clear base would be pointless. ANYWAY, I'll end with the musical question--where and how much are clear bases taking over in gaming?

I've only recently started using clear bases. I don't see that many people using them, but I like them for miniatures that will be used on varying terrain types. Pulp Alley is an excellent example. Pulp Alley can be set in almost any environment imaginable so clear bases allow for the miniatures to fit in. I will agree though that it's all about preference and to each their own. Too many times people focus on what is different and not what is the same. To me the hobby is about having fun and enjoying myself. If I show up to a game with opaque bases painted green with grass flock and someone else has clear bases, big deal. Let's just play the game and have fun.

William
Until such time as Congress stops being a ridiculous farce, comedy is utterly acceptable at their hearings.
Sean Patrick Fannon

Offline Matt

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2017, 01:08:43 PM »
  I can say a few things about gangs, I guess. For one, that particular league--Flor de Tortuga--has been pretty successful at times. The gangs can do a lot of damage, and also they are really good at blocking for the turn or two before they go out. But mainly I like them because they let me put a whole bunch of tramp steamer sailors or martial artists on the table all at once. One thing I am disappointed at though--I gave the leader of Flor the Tactician ability, which lets you buff your gangs somewhat. I don't think it has seemed worth it to me.

I would say my experiences are pretty much the same.  My leader has Rally, and I would say that as a lvl 4 ability it is weak.  I was going to add tactician once I get enough experience, which will be while at the rate we play games.  I like the look of hordes too, and it plays well to my backstory/narrative.

BTW, I love your COMINTERN league  ;D
rags

Thanks!