Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:57:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: My first figure  (Read 737 times)

Offline Charles92027

• Bookworm
My first figure
« on: October 30, 2017, 08:41:14 PM »
I'm getting near the end of my first complete figure, Ace McGuire, from Hydra Miniatures' Retro Raygun line.
I haven't done his eyes, and I'm not sure if I will. My first (incomplete) figure was left with a terrible deformity when I attempted his eyes.
I specifically painted Ace with a limited number of colors, so he had a toy-like appearance, but I'm thinking about putting a wash on the white ribbed sections of his uniform to make him look a little less like Santa Claus, but (like the eyes) I'm worried about losing control and doing something I can't come back from.

IMG_9242 by Charles Johnson, on Flickr

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Re: My first figure
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 08:45:19 PM »
Worst that can happen with a wash is that it's too heavy and you just have to go over the raised areas (in white with yours) when it's dry. I say go for it. The same is true for the eyes - a brown ink wash will add lovely depth to the skin tones and facial detail I reckon, and if it goes horribly wrong, you can always repaint the raised areas.

Have courage mon ami, dive in headfirst!
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Ragnar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 10:55:06 PM »
Nice start.

Pinwashing is where you use a fine brush and only out the wash into the recesses where you want it.. rather than wash an entire area, so you pinwash the ribbed areas and the base of the neck, and the belt top and bottom.

Like Cubs says, you can always go back and touch up with the original colours.
Gods, monsters and men,
Will die together in the end.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 11:34:48 PM »
I well recall the terrible pressure of not wanting to ruin a figure.  The agony of indecision is such that I would actually hardly paint at all, and when I did I didn't enjoy it. What I have found out only quite recently is that when I am too "precious" I don't actually make any progress. To learn miniature painting, like anything else, you have to take risks and make mistakes. You learn much more from a mistake, so you shouldn't be afraid.
The very very great thing about a metal miniature is that you can just put the whole thing in the "Dip", clean it up and start again if need be.
Recently I put a dozen figures in the dip . The faces on these I had really laboured over some years ago and the faces were actually quite good. But the uniform colour was totally wrong. So, in the end I couldn't live with the wrong uniform and would rather do them all again.
Just go for it, and enjoy your painting.

[edit] some might well say I ruin ALL my figures anyway  lol    
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 11:36:19 PM by vodkafan »
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Charles92027

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 03:52:59 AM »
Thanks for the advice everyone.
The face I washed with thin brown paint, my intention is the wash the rest with thin black paint.

Offline Karadek

• Scientist
    • Xenia Gamers Club
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 06:43:07 PM »
Do NOT use black!
It's too harsh.
Stick with a mid or dark brown - depending on the colour you are trying to shade.
GW Agrax Earthshade (plus the other brown one I can't remember the name of) is your friend.
Put the pot of black paint down.

Good advice.  The other browns are Seraphim Sepia.  I highly recommend the Reikland Fleshtone as well. 

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 07:07:43 PM »
DON'T paint the eyes. Seriously, in my opinion, just don't ever bother. I rarely EVER see minis with eyes painted that make me think "wow, great eyes, I'm glad they put them in..." Much more often I see hideous off-centre googly cartoon eyes and wish they hadn't done it. Harsh, but true!!! It's a pet peeve of mine ;)
(Others may disagree!)

But yeah he is crying out for washes - use them, they are your friend.

How did the flesh wash go? If it was me, I'd give all the skin a coat of 'flesh wash' from whatever brand you use, it's usually a sort of reddish brown. And then I'd apply a darker 'umber wash' more carefully just to certain areas - the eye sockets, between the lips, and any other prominent creases on the face. And then if you feel up to it, re-highlight the prominent edges (the nose, brow, chin, perhaps cheekbones) with your original flesh colour.