Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:57:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690702
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 1026
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Using Resin Products ... issues ...  (Read 611 times)

Offline Ssendam

• Scientist
    • Ssendam's Blog
Using Resin Products ... issues ...
« on: November 04, 2017, 04:31:06 PM »
So ... I've been trying to use resin, more accurately I've been using 'EnviroTex Lite, pour-on, High Gloss Finish'.  The results have been  ... interesting so I could do with tapping into the hive mind that is Lead Adventurers (i.e. any assistance would be gratefully received!)

The plan is to make some Dungeon Waterways as you can see here: http://www.hirstarts.com/tips17/tips17.html#plan (See 'Planning Dungeon Waterways').

I put together up a test piece and mixed 8 fl. oz of the resin.  I gave it lots of stiring and used the 2-cup method as advised.  Given the amount I used the level of the 'water' was higher that I wanted, about 1.5 cm as a pose to 1cm.  I know they do recommend no more than 5mm and building it up in layers.  The resin was quite old and the colour of the hardener bottle resembled a sample you give to the doctor.  I did add a little colour of my own ... being Vallejo Wash Blue and Green as i want the final product to have a blue tinge.

ISSUES:

- Bubbles: so this was the main issue; the whole piece had very fine bubbles throughout.  Now I'm not sure if this was due to; the thickness of the resin, or the age of the resin or perhaps because you have to use some techniques to remove the bubbles (I've read of using heat on the surface or gently popping the bubbles ... but neither of those would really have worked for me as the bubbles were deep in the piece).

- Colour: I think I've solved this in so much as the colour of the hardener interfered with the colour I was adding.  Instead of a blue i was getting a dirty green .. good for sewage, but not the effect i was going for.

OTHER PRODUCTS

So, I decided to have a go with the Vallejo Water Texture.  This is not an Epoxy but was at least new/clear.  I tested this in a clear plastic cup and the results were much better, no bubbles BUT, I only filled the cup to a 5mm depth.  Also I put in another 5mm (testing a different colour shade), and the whole lot sort of 'melted' into one mixture ... so might not be good for layering.

SUMMARY

- Does anyone have any suggestions to stop the bubbles problem I'm getting with the EnviroTex?
- Should I get newer EnviroTex (should the hardener colour be clear)?
- Any other better products?
- Vallejo Water texture better for rivers?
- Any other advice?

Many thanks

Re

Ssendam

"I've been a soldier for 12 years - it's my profession.  But if a soldier doesn't want peace in his soul then he's not a soldier any more - he's a killer.  A soldier fights for peace." Nadia Savchenko

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
Re: Using Resin Products ... issues ...
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 09:57:27 PM »
Sounds like you have two things going on here.   Your resin was old.  Once it is opened and exposed to moisture it will degrade.  Same if it has been sat too long.  Most likely that is the reason the hardener was discoloured.  The hardener is usually a slightly different colour.  Second thing that I would suggest is to pour in a very thin stream on a single spot.  This will help reduce the bubbles. Same with only pouring thin layers.  I have poured deeper layers in the past but always had lots of small bubbles in those.  Another thing that can cause bubbles is pouring onto a heavily textured surface.  Envirotex likes flat surfaces.
Hope that helps.
Snitchy Sends.
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com