Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 08:23:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Naked Beastmen?  (Read 1377 times)

Offline redrevuk

• Assistant
Naked Beastmen?
« on: November 06, 2017, 09:08:08 AM »
Hi all!

I'm looking for unarmoured, unarmed beastmen for a new project. You would think there would be lots to choose from, but I'm having trouble.

I'm after 'classic' style - hairy/furry, cloven hooves, goatish faces, horns, man-sized or slightly larger.

I've considered Privateer's Orboros range for larger models, but even these have some armour.

Any ideas?

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Re: Naked Beastmen?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 09:39:15 AM »
How long do you have to wait? I ask because Conquest Games are planning some old school style goaty beastmen, but it's all very much 'in the pipeline', so it could be a month, a year, or a.n.other.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 10:29:48 AM »
It might seem very obvious, but have you looked at the GW ungor sprues? The ungors are unarmoured, and they could be rendered unarmed very easily - there are lots of empty arms in the kit, so it might be just a case of disarming the right hand or doing handswaps with other miniatures. EDIT:  I think some of the right hands are empty too - for archers letting fly.

They aren't actually naked, though - their dignity is preserved with loincloths - but they are nice models. There's one on the right here - from memory, they don't all have knives in their belts.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 10:45:23 AM »
Wargames Foundry have a lot of naked beastmen, although most of them have weapons. A few don't though - although they have other stuff. But simple weapon removals might be the fastest route to genuinely naked, unarmed beastment. I don't think they're nearly so nice as the ungors, though:

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 01:00:00 PM »
The standard GW beastmen (gors) fit your requirments. For my money, one of their best ever kits.

Offline redrevuk

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 11:06:47 PM »
That's very helpful, thanks! Can the gor and ungor sets be kitbashed together? I think I like the unfortunate heads better...

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 11:14:09 PM »
Reaper has quite a few as well, mostly in their Warlord range, Reven subsection.  Keyword search on their store for Beastman and Satyr and you should get most or all of them.

Quite a few minotaurs there too, if you need some heavies.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 11:23:44 PM »
That's very helpful, thanks! Can the gor and ungor sets be kitbashed together? I think I like the unfortunate heads better...

There's a bit of a difference in build between them: the gors are much bulkier; the ungors are still pretty muscular, but they're more slouched and pot-bellied. I don't think the gor arms would match the ungor bodies well. Both are nice kits; for my money, the ungors are a bit more interestingly posed. The "in motion" gor poses are excellent, but some of the static ones are less exciting. None of the ungors are on the hoof to the same extent, but I think their poses trump those of the static gors, if that makes sense.

One other consideration is that the ungor arms probably give you more variety without weapons, because there are several right hands that are open (they're supposed to have released arrows). So, if you use a shieldless left and an archer right, you get two weapon-free arms without having to do any cutting.

EDIT: yes, an ungor sprue gives you four bodies and enough empty hands to make them all up weapon-free.

Both sets are great, though.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 11:25:46 PM by Hobgoblin »