Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 02:29:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690517
  • Total Topics: 118335
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Re: All things Rogue Trader and Warhammer 40K (May 2022: SPACE DWARFS!)  (Read 37421 times)

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
Loving the bomb-bots...they remind me of the green Daleks from Dr Who.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
Re: All things Rogue Trader and Warhammer 40K (Feb 2022: DTN8 Remote Mine Droid)
« Reply #136 on: February 12, 2022, 12:16:42 AM »
Very cool :)

For those looking to get an STL: There are some decent bomb bots out there (https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/game/bomb-bot) for example.

I'd rather buy these if they're ever put up for sale somewhere.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Curis

• Librarian
    • Ninjabread
Thanks for all the comments! 

Yeah Lost Egg, the collar slats and the dome lamps are incredibly Daleky.  I'm glad it's not just me that thinks that – I've seen some people insist they're aerial stubs, but I know they light up.

I've recently drafted a set of barricades for 3D printing.

HOLD THE LINE!

They're available here: https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/game/glorious-1990s-barricade-fortifcation-terrain-set

Ninjabread out!

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
Nice! For a split-second I thought they were a cardboard release from back in 2nd Ed.

Offline NotifyGrout

• Librarian
  • Sub-Random, Cut-Up, Trident
Nice! For a split-second I thought they were a cardboard release from back in 2nd Ed.

Good eye! I think I still have the cardstock barricades from an old issue of White Dwarf somewhere, and they look a lot like these.
https://www.instagram.com/notify_grout/
Current projects: collecting way too many vintage Warzone models.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com

That would be the highest compliment I suppose, since they were clearly created with those in mind.

And they work perfectly too! In combination with those RT and 2nd ed minis, that last picture is like a left hook right in the nostalgia; just beautiful  :-*

Am I correct in assuming that some of the texture work on the barricades was done with splattering paint (toothbrush)? Or was it done by dabbing with foam tear-offs?
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
I'm just a twisted knot of envy right now - these are superb!  lol
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline Curis

• Librarian
    • Ninjabread
Thanks for the comments! 

Daeothar – the texture is two rounds of sponging light greys over a blak undercoat (Rakarth Flesh and Terminatus Stone), a quick glaze, some grey fading with a brush, then SPLATTING WITH A TOOTHBRUSH.  Just everything to avoid drybrushing, basically.

Back at the turn of the millennium, there was a hyper-rare Space Marine that was only available in England if you spent £500 in a Games Workshop during the Skulz programme. On a pocket money budget, it took the co-ordinated efforts of all my friends to get one. And over two decades later, here he is painted.

Well, I say £500 – he cost fifty Skulz, and you got one Skulz for each full £10 you spent, but you got eleven Skulz printed on the Skulz collector’s card so the worked out at £390.

He’s a stellar miniature that was really ahead of his time for a number of reasons. First, he came with a solid metal base (40mm no less, when nothing larger than 25mm for infantry had ever been seen) depicting a fallen Chaos standard – at a time when scenic bases were incredibly rare. Second, he clutches a standard of Ultramar – a sculpted banner at a time when banners were paper affairs you photocopied from White Dwarf or came supplied as self-adhesive labels. Third, he was sculpted by Shane Hoyle, one of my favourite sculptors – and notable as he’s one of the first Imperial Space Marines since 1990 not sculpted by Jes Goodwin.

I like how thin he is turned sideways, like a Paper Mario character.

I wondered back in 1999 if he was Ancient Helveticus – the Ultramarines special character. But Helveticus’ defining feature is the Banner of Macragge, and this sculpted banner didn’t match the design from White Dwarf 195. Plus his wargear didn’t match the 2nd edition Warhammer 40,000 Ultramarines Codex (or the 3rd edition Chapter Approved incarnation). And critically, as you can just about see in the photo above, his left shoulder has a skull marking inside an Ultramarines’ inverted omega sculpted on – meaning his rank is more likely Sergeant than Chapter Ancient.

Another nice touch from the sculptor is the detailing on the pole.

On the subject of shoulder marking – his right pad features a sculpted-on Tactical Squad arrow. This is a source of irritation to me, as I’ve copied the white trims of the original ‘Eavy Metal paintjob. If you’re strict about the Codex Astartes – and Ultramarines are strict – the only two Companies identified with white shoulder pad trims are First and Tenth, and neither has any Tactical Squads. I will conceptualise my version not as a Chapter Ancient (or Company Ancient for that matter), but as a Third Company Sergeant with non-standard trim markings denoting Veteran status (and will back this up by pointing to the Crux Terminatus on his left calf as further proof of Veteran-ness), holding a sacred Ultramarines standard (but not a Company or Chapter banner).

Veteran Sergeant of the Third Company defending the Imperium’s bunkers and concrete barricades against an Ork Waaaagh!.

HIs release through the tertiary channel of exclusive Skulz retail incentives makes him one of the rarest Ultramarines miniatures, except for perhaps the 2004 Black Library Uriel Ventris diorama. So here he is alongside my other limited editions, marching for Macragge.

Left to right: 30th Anniversary Imperial Space Marine, Primaris Lieutenant Calsius, and the Skulz Standard Bearer.

Ninjabread out!

More miniatures at:https://www.ninjabread.co.uk
Painting tutorials at: https://www.patreon.com/ninjabread

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
Re: All things Rogue Trader and Warhammer 40K (Apr 2022: Rarest Ultramarine)
« Reply #143 on: April 11, 2022, 10:45:11 PM »
Lovely painting.

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #144 on: April 13, 2022, 07:15:53 AM »
Lovely painting and great backstory!
That primaris bloke is huge!

Offline Curis

• Librarian
    • Ninjabread
« Reply #145 on: April 20, 2022, 06:35:12 PM »
I know, swiftnick!  Primaris take about three times the time to paint as a Rogue Trader mk6 affair.  They're like Ogres when you're used to the old stuff.

But speaking of old miniatures...

I have poured every ounce of my heart and soul into sculpting a range of 1990s style Space Dwarf miniatures.  I have made the graphics as inhumanely retro as possible.

Offline Dags

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: All things Rogue Trader and Warhammer 40K (Apr 2022: NEW NEW SQUATS)
« Reply #146 on: April 20, 2022, 06:42:34 PM »
They look ace (and, as expected, sublime PJs)

Sure you won't need it but Best of Luck with the KS

For those like me that don't/won't do Kickstarters (absolutely nothing personal, I just don't do any of them) will they be available, either in resin or as STLs, somewhere afterwards?

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #147 on: April 21, 2022, 07:58:06 AM »
Those minis are all kinds of nostalgic nice, but that add really takes me back 25 years. 8)

Gave me a good chuckle and brings the message across perfectly; well done :D

Offline Curis

• Librarian
    • Ninjabread
« Reply #148 on: April 21, 2022, 10:33:46 AM »
Thanks Dags!  To be honest, I'm well nervous but also excited.  I started sculpting these in April 2021 and there's so many behind-the-scenes things to think ahead of and plan before they can be offered to the public.

If the Kickstarter proves there's a demand for the figures, then I'll put additional castings on sale on an online shop front.   

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
« Reply #149 on: April 21, 2022, 12:58:31 PM »
These are great :) . I reckon I'll be getting some from the KS :) .