Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:16:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 28mm flags ACW  (Read 2087 times)

Offline ben mcculloch

• Schoolboy
28mm flags ACW
« on: October 19, 2017, 08:07:29 AM »
Hi All

Having had a couple of boxes of Perry Miniatures ACW infantry for a year or two unmade. I have finally got over my reluctance to make them up being as I have an aversion to kits. Found out they were not too bad to make up and now I am on a roll to make up more. I have however found I am not too happy with the flag poles (too flimsy), tried to drill out and fix wire replacements (don't look too bad, despite mis drills).

I am used to making up 40mm x 40mm flags for 28mm other periods. However the supplied flags are not this size (not a problem) what do others on this forum do regards sizes for these figure? Do any of you use the supplied flags, or what do you do/ use? Any advise or thought is appreciated.

I have ordered metal command packs which may be easier to drill out, again any comments on this too.

Thank you for your considered replies.

Paul Ireland (ben mcculloch)

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Re: 28mm flags ACW
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 06:23:35 PM »
I have been building a Union army, the plastic flag poles aren`t too bad resilience wise. Perry metal command are open handed so you don`t need to worry about them as you can fit whichever poles you wish.

On flags, I have been trying different ones as not too worried about differences in sizes as often made by their home town etc (that's my excuse anyway) I have bought GMB (very nice but quite large, just about fit the plastic command, you will struggle to make them fit the supplied standards from metals so may want to test before trimming the pole) Solway crafts, cheap nice flags from ebay 99p per set, they are ok little smaller. Flags of war similar style to GMB and very nice quality and ever so slightly smaller than GMB

Offline ben mcculloch

• Schoolboy
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 09:03:30 PM »
lowtardog

Many thanks for your input I will certainly consider your views, I do have somewhere a set of Flags for the Lads Texas flags I might have a look at these to start. The flag pole info is much appreciated.

Ben McCulloch

Offline sepoy1857

• Mastermind
  • Wherever Duty Calls...
    • The Devil's Wind
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 12:33:20 AM »
I prefer to use Flags of War ACW or GMB; I also have some old Boddy's Banners (?) from redoubt which are smaller, but fit better on the plastic Perry poles than say GMB which are more in scale with the figures. I also like Redout's ACW flag pole toppers (?) if that's the right term - Eagles and plain points with tastles which look really nice painted up.
All The Best
Scott Dallimore
Kent-Essex Gaming Society
http://kent-essexgaming.ca/

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 07:32:30 AM »
These are GMB

These are Solway (slightly smaller, sorry photo not so good)

Offline ben mcculloch

• Schoolboy
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 08:39:43 PM »
Hi Lowtardog

Very nice painting, much impressed, thank you for the flag information. I looked at the Solway flags and they seem to fit the bill, as you say they are smaller than GMB but probably in scale with the Perry mini's.

Do you know if these are random flags for eastern and western theatres or make up specific formations, either way I will be placing an order and like you will order some from War Flag ( I like the idea of an Irish brigade). I am well on my way to completing my 20th base of infantry Confederates only another 100 to go, then the Union.

Which rules are you using?

Ben McCulloch

Offline Xiombarg

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 10:47:23 AM »
I think that I have played every set of civil war rules over the last 50 years .
Always enjoyed Fire and Fury.
currently our group of chaps are greatly enjoying picketts Charge .
Black powder. Glory Hallelujah is good fun. GH is one of the best sub books for black powder
Longstreet is good fun. Although card playing is not for everyone it has a great campaign system. We,ve had some really enjoyable games with it .
If you are going to buy Solway flags , ask Simon. He will size and print them to any size you want

Offline ben mcculloch

• Schoolboy
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 10:54:41 PM »
Hi Xiomberg

Thanks you for your input on flags and rules.

I have played Fire and Fury when it was brigade level when it first came out with 15mm and was always impressed with them. Left the subject for quite a few years, but used the F@F set for RCW. I now game in 28mm because I can see the detail better and  I can game bigger battles. The Perry plastics are indeed very good and actually quite easy to paint, latest batch done I am now on my third box of rebels, numbers are growing. I have a very modest order for Flags of War to see how the flags work, but Solway are still an option thanks for the sizing info.

Regards

Ben McCulloch

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 11:12:09 PM »
Hi Ben, sorry missed your earlier post. For the Solway ones you need to click on the picture, there are some which are specific regiments which although I am no expert seem to be for the army of the Potomac. Similar to the Flags of War ones too which are themed for Gettysburg.
Flags of War also do some nice Divisional flags too

For rules (I dabbled with 15mm and fire and fury a long time ago) I am going for Gettysburg rules by the chap who wrote general de brigade.

My army is a hodge podge as it originally started as eastern theatre for sharp practice but to be honest I prefer the kepis rather than the felt hats so have mixed and matched  ;D

Offline Xiombarg

• Assistant
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 11:06:36 AM »
Hi Ben
I don't know how many of you are in your group. Id thoroughly recommend Picketts charge (and the Napoleonic version).
We usually game on a Tuesday with 3/4 players a side , a brigade per player and can have the game completed to a logical conclusion from set up at 7.30 ish to completion at around 10.30 ish. No rebasing of toys and a very good command and control structure . We  use 28mm almost exlusively as we are a fairly geriatric bunch !

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2017, 09:02:46 PM »
I usually replace flagpoles with wire by default, just to be sure.

As for flags I went with flags from the Gimsby Wargames Society they put online for free. Printed them, did some touching-up on the colours and glued them on.

full size picture: https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-alaEnXim1Vc/WS88tMcheVI/AAAAAAAAJe8/6gw4Nb092_Q4elE4Bq1il6c_vCM5xDy9wCLcB/s1600/3rdlouisianaNEU1%2B-%2BKopie.jpg

full size picture: https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-U8bVMeU0MQE/WS9Am2EsK-I/AAAAAAAAJfg/Z_AceHyIzasXaghaqDw8X-LQoVFxtNi1ACLcB/s1600/butternutwei%25C3%259Fneu2.jpg

Works like a treat. :)

Otherwise, I'd probably go for GMB when it comes to bought flags.

Offline ben mcculloch

• Schoolboy
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2017, 11:04:32 PM »
Thank you all for your helpful comments on rules and flags.

I have decided to go with Pickett's Charge and my newly arrived Flags of War flags for now.

Twenty three figure bases done, another 7 bases to go and that is two ACW boxes done then a pack of artillery next week.  am really enjoying these figures now I have got the hang of sticking them together.

Only me to play against, as I am in the middle of rural Shropshire, but I do have a wargames room almost to myself and I can leave a game running for weeks at a time, no I don't talk to myself, but the Alpacas and cats.

Ben McCulloch

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2017, 12:56:30 AM »
:D well, that sounds perfectly healthy then.

I hear good things about Pickett's charge.

My favourites for ACW would be Sharp Practice (for skirmishing, 40 to 100 figures a side) and Longstreet.

Offline ben mcculloch

• Schoolboy
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2017, 11:04:46 AM »
Hi Sigur,

Gaming by myself at least I can only fall out with myself. I very much like RF@F but the amount of figures/ bases is daunting at moment. So Pickett it is  for now, they look quite good, I have and do use RF@F for AWI they work really well.

Thank you for your comment and advise.

Ben McMculloch

Offline dhtandco

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2017, 01:08:13 AM »
There are some excellent flags in 28mm and 15mm on Adrian's Walls site .The sheets are by state and cover some very unusual subjects as well as more popular ones.

The Grimsby free ones are no longer available as their creator has disassociated himself from that club along with several others of us, due to their attitude to a couple of us with disabilities.